It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Star Wars Battlefront Beta is Coming October 8th

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   
So, anyone else playing the beta currently? I'm just waiting for the last few bits to finish downloading.

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: buni11687

Downloading now

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Red alert 2 for free also at the moment

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Just put in a bit over 2 hours so far.

My impressions so far are a bit mixed. It is fun, and it's Star Wars, sound and graphics are pretty darn good. But... it gets repetitive/boring really quickly IMO. The flying seems so limited to. I feel so boxed in on the Hoth map. The spawns are a bit weird to, I don't really understand them yet. Anyways, that's just my initial impression so far.

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 07:27 PM
link   

I lasted half an hour...
I dunno it just isn't my cup of tea anymore FPS.
Fallout 4 for me.

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 07:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

I lasted half an hour...
I dunno it just isn't my cup of tea anymore FPS.
Fallout 4 for me.

I was pretty skeptical about the game from what I heard earlier in the year, and now it seems my skeptic side was pretty much spot on. It lacks the punch/excitement the first Battlefronts had. This one seems just really dulled down and I just cant get into it. The combat is mediocre at best. My first game I was like "Omg cool a blaster! Then the next match I was like....meh...the hype is already gone." Some of my favorite youtubers/twitch streamers are saying the same thing after putting some time into it to, so I'm guessing it's a safe bet that this isnt really living up to the expectations it was hyped up to be.

Fallout 4 is a must for me. Probably getting it on day 1.
edit on 8-10-2015 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 08:07 PM
link   

What they should have done is a massive open world like Planetside 2.
I play mechwarrior online and I suppose that is a type of FPS but it has a lot of depth and I think this battlefields game doesn't.
Like you said just same ole same ole.

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Downloaded just fine for me, have had an Origin account for quite a while now.

Running it? I can not even get past the first screen, press enter to start, will not register a single keystroke. Googled it and apparently a huge amount of people are having similar issues. I can not imagine how the actual game plays right now if they can not even get the first menu screen to work for different systems. (I have a 16gig, i7, top of the line gtx system and I keep it updated. NO reason something like this should happen).

Anyways, maybe in a day or two when they work out this type of kink can I actually play. It is a shame I really wanted a good first impression of the game but now I am kinda bummed.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:26 AM
link   
I spent a couple of hours playing the beta. I was not impressed and will not be buying the game unless it's heavily discounted (under $10).

Visually, it's absolutely stunning. That's an understatement. I give the graphics a 10/10.

The gameplay is horrendous. It's essentially a twitch shooter. You have to run around the map to find vehicle "pick-ups". Meaning if the opposing team is dominating the map, your team is going without. The rounds are just as lopsided as in Battlefield. One team continually steam rolls the other. If you can't land headshot after headshot, you're going to get dominated.

After an hour, I finally got to fly some of the aircraft. It was a HORRIBLE experience. The rebel snow speeder has a mind of its own. Damn near uncontrollable. Without any input from the mouse, and there is no keyboard input while flying, the craft drifts to one side of the other and will not fly straight. I couldn't shoot down a thing with them. Same with the tie fighter. Mouse only controls. Only indication of throttle is a slider bar on the hud. Couldn't really tell without it.

The AT-ST was fun. Only because it was OP. Being as how you have to run around the map, in the open, to get the power-ups needed to take it out, when you have two AT-ST's on the field, good luck getting to a power up.

Playing the hero was relatively unsatisfying. Yeah, it's fun to run around for a couple minutes with a light saber. But there's a timer on it. So if you're doing well, it only lasts a minute or two.

The game seems like a gimmick to me. I don't know how to really describe why it feels that way. There's a credit system in it where you have to purchase weapons like in Hardline. But there's also a part where if you run out of certain items, you have to spend more credits to buy more. Like an in-game pay to win thing. I personally can't stand crap like that.

I really think they put more effort into the graphics than they did the game play. Graphics alone don't make the game.

This is my review I posted to the Battlefield forums. Thought I'd share my opinion of it here as well for what it's worth.

edit on 10/9/2015 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 05:10 AM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

I watched a video saying this game could break the company.
The reason were that the battlefield series has been selling less and less each time and the profits that they make will be cut into paying disney for the rights.
I really think releasing it as a beta is a big mistake, people will play it get bored quick and not buy the game when it comes out.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 09:34 AM
link   
It you read my other post, there is no lag and game play is smooth.
Not sure why some are having issue with the keyboard.
This game was designed for a console not the PC, this much is plane to see.
The flight part is on rails with limited control.
The maps and things you can not accesss in beta are far more fun and worth playing..IMHO.

I to agree that the release does not have the effect they had hoped for....
Still it has good play and I doubt that it will break EA. I think no single game could ever break EA.
They are not that dumb to put all hopes into a single game..never gonna happen.

I will say and as I have said in bug reports to DICE, the PC side needs a PC side not a dumb down control pad interface.

With that said it will be better then you see now as the other portions are closed until release.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   
online FPS games have really gone down the tubes...

The days of battlefield 2 are long gone...

I am also anticipating fallout 4...

I want Bethesda to get that released so we can get another elder scrolls..

Fallout will be fun I am sure but Skyim, I played much more than fallout 3.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: DogMeat

I think you've really touched on a point that's been the biggest flaw of all the recent Battlefield titles. That point is that they're geared toward consoles and not the PC. I'm sure that Battlefront will be pretty good on a console, as that's where it was made to shine. However, as I'm mainly a PC gamer, I can really only view it from a PC standpoint. This Battlefront differs so much from the original. Just in the same way that Battlefield 3 strayed from its roots of Battlefield 2 and 2142.

I guess that's what happens when the whole of the original Dice team has been replaced.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   
BF4 Starwars Edition.

Pretty much. Nice graphics but yeah, its like a mod IMO.

Worth 60? Maybe 40.

Rather buy DOOM 4 and Fallout 4. ALL DAY!

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

yea I am not gonna buy it, destiny really killed my interest in online fps's.

I did play battlefield 4 for awhile I did enjoy it for awhile.

This game thou from what I have seen of it just does not interest me.

I am just not a kid anymore I guess..

Sometimes I wish dice would just go back to basics...

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Hm, I finished the DL last night sometime and will give it a go probably tonight.

Sad to hear people not digging it. Battlefront II was my JAM. I'd force choke the hell out of people, and kill it with an A-wing in space combat.

Why couldn't they just have duplicated that game with better graphics? That game was so amazing...

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

I don't know If we have just gotten old and bored with the genre tbh.
I think my mind is looking towards VR sets and star citizen, FPS games just are well boring and nowt to do tbh I like more depth nowadays.
Fallout 4 next then it's time to save all my pennies for a new pc and the rift (or If other vr sets are better those).

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 11:58 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Why couldn't they just have duplicated that game with better graphics? That game was so amazing...

I was hoping for the same. Battlefront 2 had everything. Nobody really wanted anything to change from that game, aside from the graphics. Instead, this new game ripped a good chunk of content out of Battlefront 2 and left us with a "meh" version. No space battles, no clone wars, etc... And they managed to make this new game pretty dull.

a reply to: boymonkey74

I don't know If we have just gotten old and bored with the genre tbh.
I think my mind is looking towards VR sets and star citizen, FPS games just are well boring and nowt to do tbh I like more depth nowadays.

I think the FPS genre has been going downhill in the past few years, I dont think we're just getting old. Half-Life was the first FPS game that I really got in to and thought it was revolutionary for its time. (I bought it when it first came out. It may have made me set a high bar when it comes to FPS games.). Back on point, I think one of the main reasons the FPS genre is going downhill is because there has just been a massive amount of FPS games rehashed over and over every single year. COD is a great example. A new "game" is released every single year, with only very minimal changes. I was a big Battlefield player back in the day but now Battlefield feels like it went that same way with BF 3 and after to. Then we have the other FPS games trying to follow the COD formula, and in return we dont get anything "substantially" new anymore. ex- Titanfall felt like a quick run and gun COD formula copy, same with Destiny. I mean, looking at the new Rainbow 6 game beta, it follows more of a quick run and gun style of COD now. It's nothing like the original Rainbow 6 games were like. I of course hope that's because it's just in beta now, but I wont hold my breath.

Long story short - Very few companies are trying anything innovative/new/substantial with the FPS genre currently. Bringing back a classic like the Battlefront series is a great idea, but should have been done much more carefully without changing the formula. If it's changed too much, the game gets ripped from its classic self and becomes something that not many people were hoping it would be. (Bad EA, bad!)
edit on 10-10-2015 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-10-2015 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Just saw this video....I guess stormtroopers in real life miss all the time also lol.

Oh and I agree with everything you have said.

I don't buy games on a whim anymore because I have so many games I have played a couple of hours and never loaded again, I like games where I will go back to them after getting a little bored with them.
Will people still be playing this in 6 months?
edit on 10-10-2015 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Downloading right now!
Wish i remembered on the 8th or i could be killing jedi scum right now.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join