It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Everyone you know will be able to rate you on the terrifying ‘Yelp for people’

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 08:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dreamwatcher
I am surprised that a thread has not already been started on this. I did not know exactly where to put this.

washingtonpost

When the app does launch, probably in late November, you will be able to assign reviews and one- to five-star ratings to everyone you know: your exes, your co-workers, the old guy who lives next door. You can’t opt out — once someone puts your name in the Peeple system, it’s there unless you violate the site’s terms of service. And you can’t delete bad or biased reviews — that would defeat the whole purpose.

The potential for abuse is so great. People will not even know they have a profile and yet could suffer the consequences of a malicious profile.

Potential employers can/will check for a peeple profile, you do not even know exists.

Supposedly in the future , one will have the ability to delete a profile on them. I am betting some sort of fee will be involved.

On the other hand, I can see the service being put out of existence by civil suits.

Funny thing, Julia Corday, was just inquiring on how to remove negative feedback comments on this startup for her Facebook page.

Why is this okay while at the same time, Facebook mogul is meeting with Merkel about the Thumbs down issue? Are they on different planets? Or maybe just she is. With all that's going on, I have to wonder where her brain is! Germany is out of control and she's on a like or not issue. Really??? Where's the US on this issue? Will Obama come out and defend it or scab it? I need to know what my dear leader has decided before I can make a decision. I am so lost here even though in my heart I know this is wrongo! But yes, let me wait and see what the leaders do. Then I will know my line of action. I am a dumb person who needs constant instruction. So please, don't judge, just lead me to the intended end.

Oh, you say the mental dysfunction of society?????? How do we do that? Oh, I get it, hee hee. Lets just nip at them little by little and then when we're ready, we'll clock them all in.

We think we can change thousands of years of life with a single program. What a sick bastard we have become. We think only of ourselves and our immediate needs. Nothing of the life that goes on after us. Yeah, I got off track but god, can't we get a grip?

We can't all be Phage's (no dis there Phage) but we can use our brain and make decisions, right? Isn't this what needs to happen?
edit on 3-10-2015 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
So....this is like the old "hotornot.com" website?

Only difference is my exes would get 4 or 5 stars on the hot or not sight.

On this as human beings they would be lucky to score 1.
edit on 3-10-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 09:08 AM
link   
This is easy to defeat...
Just write a bot to methodically downvote everyone on the whole site, and start over to to it again looping over & over.

Then everyone on the whole site will look bad, universally. And everyone will hate it and it will go away.

This depends on how hard the captcha is, most are pretty lame.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: projectbane

I am in introvert I don't need the world.
FAME is ugly.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: SolRozenberg

I'm sure someone is going to think of that; or the site is going to get hacked.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Isn't it kind of interesting that one of the aspects of life that people are hell bent on/really enjoy spending time on is causing harm to other individuals? By harm, I mean oppressing people with criminal records long after they have rehabbed or learned their lesson, treating people like garbage based on their past reputations. Never letting go and giving someone a second chance.

Now this....

It actually doesn't worry me. For one, this will probably crash and burn before it gets going too far. Part of me wonders if it's part of an agenda to remove our internet privacy.

But above all else I believe in karma, and anyone who tarnishes others for fun or with intent to cause harm will eventually have to answer for their shennegans, wether in this life, the after life or by living an impoverished #ty life in a 3rd world country in the next life. Karma, thou art a heartless bitch.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   
This has happened in the past many times, but never ended well.

Back in the 1980's, some small business owners set up a private database that was used to store "references" about the reliability and worthiness of various other business owners. One tabloid newspaper requested a full copy of the database and proceeded to hand out the records to interested individuals at a Tory party conference. Needless to say, things got rather heated.

There was another website plugin called "GetGooey" which was supposed to allow users to post their own comments over another website (the plugin would send the webpage link to GetGooeys servers, and it would return any overlays that users had submitted). That just disappeared from view given the privacy aspect of sending the webpage links to a third party server.

There is the "Freedom of Information Act" in the USA, and the "Data Protection Act" in the UK and equivalent legislation in the Europe. Some countries make it illegal to state defamatory comments about someone in public without first giving them notification and getting their permission.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Dreamwatcher

I see this as being faced with SEVERAL IMMEDIATE slander lawsuits. Just as much as nobody can "cyberbully".

Hell, this is just the latest incarnation of cyber-bullying.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Ha how ironic. The PC police want to eradicate all 'derogatory comments' about certain demographics from the net to the point of prosecuting people for hurting someone's feelings and deleting all comments they don't agree withs, but they'll allow a website whose purpose is to 'rate' human beings. Seems #ing legit...

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   
"I have become death, the destroyer of worlds".......... the Kardashians have won the internet.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7
a reply to: projectbane

I am in introvert I don't need the world.
FAME is ugly.

Obviously, I am an introvert as well. I don't use a smart phone and I don't use social media. I couldn't care less what someone says about me or puts on the internet. No matter what, my career is never in jeopardy from what someone puts on the internet.

So these people can do whatever they want and I'll enjoy sitting back and watching everyone make fools of themselves.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

How vain to let a such a thing bother you.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I just realized that this is an invasion of privacy. We really are losing privacy these days.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Surely social media already does this.Anyhow, the app is doomed by it's own design.Anyone can make an account about anyone?People will see through how it can never be trusted and easily abused.A lot of law suits will follow and it wont last long.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Truly disgusting. We have already seen people's lives ruined by social media. This will only lead to more bullying and suicides. What vile, hateful troll came up with this? I can't believe its real!!!

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
a reply to: Ameilia

That may be harder than you think -

Positive ratings post immediately; negative ratings are queued in a private inbox for 48 hours in case of disputes. If you haven’t registered for the site, and thus can’t contest those negative ratings, your profile only shows positive reviews.

On top of that, Peeple has outlawed a laundry list of bad behaviors, including profanity, sexism and mention of private health conditions.

And how long will those conditions stay? "outlawed"? By whose law? They CLAIM that they won't do bad things because (little pinky raise) they promise!

Remember Facebook? The one that said that it wasn't going to have ads and wasn't going to screw over your privacy?

How many policy changes since then?

The lady is a narcissist trying to make money in Silicon Valley. When it's a question between new revenue and 'doing good', what will they choose?
edit on 3-10-2015 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Personally I have nothing to worry about, but if I see one thing that is untrue, or defames me in anyway I'll sue their asses for libel and slander.

I can see a site like this getting crushed with lawsuits.

Should be an interesting 6 months of existence. lol

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: MagesticEsoteric

The potential for abuse of this app is insane in my opinion.
Social media and what not is widely over rated.
I choose privacy over open exposure any day.

Magestic I agree.
I don't have a Facebook account, never have never will.
I don't have a functioning e-mail. Opted that out years ago.
I don't have an IPhone.
I finally did get a track phone recently after eight years of abstinence.

I can't stand the self gratifying, complete exposure culture. It just feeds the ego whether it is negative or positive response. It takes focus of reality.
I want my privacy as you. That is why ATS suits me.

So I just wonder.
Good Tread.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 07:53 PM
link   

I am all for this if we can only profile our politicians and it is weighed against their poll numbers.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   

LOL Every idiotic idea one could possibly think and up can and will eventually be used, it seems...this is basically an excuse for gossipers, narcissists and bigots to rate down people (or peoples) they don't like. Also, for teenagers, sadly, even MORE social frustration for them! Just great.

Some people work to better the world and others work to worsen it for their own interests. Disgusting idea.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join