It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Everyone you know will be able to rate you on the terrifying ‘Yelp for people’

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 11:29 PM
link   
This is known as libel. Even if the posts were anonymous, I'm sure some crafty lawyers will sue the site for libel.

It'll be interesting to see what wins, libel or "free speech."
The definition of libel from Dictionary law.com
The definition is lengthy, so below is a snippet.

libel 1) n. to publish in print (including pictures), writing or broadcast through radio, television or film, an untruth about another which will do harm to that person or his/her reputation, by tending to bring the target into ridicule, hatred, scorn or contempt of others. Libel is the written or broadcast form of defamation, distinguished from slander, which is oral defamation. It is a tort (civil wrong) making the person or entity (like a newspaper, magazine or political organization) open to a lawsuit for damages by the person who can prove the statement about him/her was a lie. Publication need only be to one person, but it must be a statement which claims to be fact and is not clearly identified as an opinion. While it is sometimes said that the person making the libelous statement must have been intentional and malicious, actually it need only be obvious that the statement would do harm and is untrue Read more: dictionary.law.com...

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 12:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: collietta
This is known as libel. Even if the posts were anonymous, I'm sure some crafty lawyers will sue the site for libel.

libel 1) n. to publish in print (including pictures), writing or broadcast through radio, television or film, an untruth about another which will do harm to that person or his/her reputation, by tending to bring the target into ridicule, hatred, scorn or contempt of others. Libel is the written or broadcast form of defamation, distinguished from slander, which is oral defamation. It is a tort (civil wrong) making the person or entity (like a newspaper, magazine or political organization) open to a lawsuit for damages by the person who can prove the statement about him/her was a lie. Publication need only be to one person, but it must be a statement which claims to be fact and is not clearly identified as an opinion. While it is sometimes said that the person making the libelous statement must have been intentional and malicious, actually it need only be obvious that the statement would do harm and is untrue Read more: dictionary.law.com...

Since you have to volunteer and sign up to get any negative reviews, and then you have 48 hours to dispute them before they post I would that any chance at a libel suit would be out the door.
edit on 3-10-2015 by MrSpad because: (no reason given)

(post by projectbane removed for a manners violation)

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 12:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Dreamwatcher

This is absolutely disgusting. I could set up a profile on my ex (or an ex could do it to me), log on to Fiverr or similar site, and pay 20 people $5 each to write negative crap. Bang, ruin someone for a hundred bucks.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 12:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: MrSpad

originally posted by: collietta

Since you have to volunteer and sign up to get any negative reviews, and then you have 48 hours to dispute them before they post I would that any chance at a libel suit would be out the door.

But what's to say someone doesn't get crafty in their review? Then you'd have to sign up to the app just to see what your reviews are and thus leaving you open to negative reviews.

Catch 22.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Not going to end well. It's crosses over into defamation of character if people can lose employment, endure discrimination(illegal against most groups), etc. Saying that because maybe courts will change a law or two eventually for libel about that?

Culture of negativity? Oh yeah, isn't FB adding a thumb down button? Aww, imagine all the already trolled to death(literally) teens to endure stuff for being on social media.
edit on 3-10-2015 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-10-2015 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 01:06 AM
link   
The whole point of this website seems to be for cyber bullying. It would be a lot better if people had to create profiles of themselves before they got reviewed. This is especially bad if employers start using the website to screen potential employees.
edit on 03amSat, 03 Oct 2015 01:08:15 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 01:08 AM
link   

So a sodimising Baptist preacher who engages in pedophilia but who has adoring followers can get a high rating.

A low life politician, a back stabbing liar but with adoring followers will get a high rating.

An honest man who doesn't kiss ass will end up with a low rating.

Sometimes I hate the internet.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 01:25 AM
link   
People are more likely to write something when they get mad, so far more negative reviews will be written about someone than good.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 01:37 AM
link   
What about people like me who had to move from their last location because a schizophrenic who didn't take his meds wants me dead for literally no reason at all?

He could easily go on this site and masquerade as a friend because he knew me for 21 years. Then in the comments be all like "Oh I'd love to get in touch with him again, anyone know where he's at"?

I don't like this at all.

I'll also do you a favour and translate everything that woman was saying in 'business speak'

AHEM "MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY, I see money, I see me, I love me, money money money........That about covers it.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 01:40 AM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

What happens though if they just cleverly disguise their reviews as positive whilst being a dick about you?

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Diogenes was once approached by a friend saying "your enemies are in the town square and they're saying terrible things about you!"

Diogenes paused for a moment before going back to what he was doing.

"Well, aren't you going to do something about it?" pleaded the friend.

"They have permission to speak ill of me," replied Diogenes. "In fact, they even have the permission to beat me up...so long as it isn't in my presence!"

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 01:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck
Then you'd have to sign up to the app just to see what your reviews are

Or do not sign up and just ignore it!

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 01:58 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 02:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: hellobruce

Bill:
Hey Sam... Did you see that site, Bigamajuice? Dude, someone posted you up there and put all kinds of personal information about you, though it's not bad. Well... It was a positive review, but they brought up things about your previous marriage. It's positive but I don't know if I'd want someone to know that. That seems more personal and shouldn't be on the net for all to see. Plus they mentioned having a wonderful time with you during your "secret" getaways.

Sam:
No kidding? That's total BS. I'm going to put a stop to this before Tiffany see's it and thinks I'm up to no good.

Bill:
You got to sign up to do anything about the review.

Sam:
I'll sign up and tell them to take it down.

Two weeks later////

Bill:
Hey buddy. I thought you made them take down that information about you?

Sam:
I did. What's up?

Bill:
Well, I saw that first review about you up there before but it's not there now. NOW you have all kinds of BAD reviews. Weren't you notified? I thought they had to notify you by text or something. Hard to believe that people can give up your number legally anyways, without your consent.

Sam:
I changed my number. The X wife had been blowing up my phone with crazy calls at crazy hours in the morning. So I changed my number. If they sent notifications, I didn't get them.

Bill:
Too late now. You only had 48 hours.

Sam:
SoaB!!! Why are people such A-holes! Why would people put up a site like that? Didn't they know what kind of BS it would cause.

Bill:
For money of course. Don't let it burn you up buddy. It's just stupidity. Don't get worked up over it. No one will see it or even care if they do.

Sam:
You saw it. You cared enough to tell me...

Two more weeks later////

Bill:
What's up buddy? Why you look so stressed out? What's up with those eye baggies?

Sam:
I haven't been sleeping. The last few days at work, people are looking at me weird. The boss is jumping my case because of some bad reviews and people are quiet around me. They act like something's wrong but they wont say what they're thinking. It's like a friggan domino effect...

To top it off, some random women are posting crap about me on there, some good reviews but I don't even know who they are and the girlfriend saw it and left me because she thought I was screwing around. WTF! I bet my X was up to that crap.

Nah.. Nothing to worry about at all.. Ignore it you say..

Sorry. I don't want people having THAT kind of control over my name and my privacy. If I ran a business then fine. Then I'm putting myself out there. Since I'm not, you don't need to know jack squat about me unless I want you to. When someone looses control over who they are, whether you have something to hide or not, it's not cool. If I don't break laws, if I don't stand on a pulpit, if I haven't sold you anything, if I haven't had any affect on your life in any way, you shouldn't have the ability to look into mine. That's taking privacy and removing it from people without cause or reason.

That's more than a simply conversation between two people about someone else. That's like describing someone, in YOUR words and on YOUR opinion to not just one other person, but to the WORLD.

Not cool.

edit on 3-10-2015 by StallionDuck because: spelling

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 02:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: DreamwatcherEveryone you know will be able to rate you on the terrifying ‘Yelp for people’

And when you get a certain number of 'negatives' outweighing a certain number of 'positives', you become legal game for 'purging'!

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Oh my... Another NSA dream comes true.
edit on 3-10-2015 by Shuye because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 03:28 AM
link   
It's times like these that I'm glad my given name is as common as "Joe Smith".

Even way back in school there was another guy I attended with who had the same name.

Clearly any profile possibly created will be a different "Joe".

edit on 10/3/15 by redmage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Bill:
Hey Sam... Did you see that site, Bigamajuice? Dude, someone posted you up there

Sam:
Who cares? I do not do any of that social media crap, so I just ignore what some idiot posts.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Celebrities, politicians, public figures of all types, have been dealing with this for years. People slandering them in the public square with little or no recourse. So now regular people will get to feel like a celebrity, great!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join