It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So far how is everyone voting in the EU referendum ?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I'm "somewhat" on the fence.

In my heart I think out. And that is simply because I am completely against the needless bureaucracy that is the European Union. I see no reason for each country to have a government, that then has to answer and adhere to the instructions of another committee of individuals. Pointless. Each of our countries survived without being "overseen" and we can do it again.

However, I'm of the opinion (call it paranoia because it probably is) that the reason the Tories are so against leaving is because they're double bluffing us. They vehemently tell everyone how much we need to stay in, because they know people will vote to leave simply to oppose the Tories.
Add to that the planned scrapping of things like human rights laws and... I dunno.

I worry about the planned signing of TTIP, which is obviously ratified at the EU level. But if we leave I'm absolutely certain Cameron will pursue a similar agreement regardless.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: JackofBlades
I'm "somewhat" on the fence.

However, I'm of the opinion (call it paranoia because it probably is) that the reason the Tories are so against leaving is because they're double bluffing us.

Politicians are not that clever. The Tories suffer from a vocal minority of high profile complainers that drag policy and debate down. The referendum will deal with that internal problem. Labour suffer the same problem and even the SNP and Liberals have their dissenters.

I also think that Cameron is more of a democrat than people give him credit for. Europe is a longstanding question that all Britons have struggled - debate from this OP is a testament to that. He is giving us the opportunity to actually take this question in our own hands and work out whether, or not, we stay in Europe. It's more than Labour has ever done.

Personally, as I have said, I think most people want a different relationship with the EU, but to stay in the European family. What they don't want is the same-old-same-old. In fact, across Europe I think there is a discontent and Britain is leading the way in facing up to the creeping federalisation of unaccountable Eurocrats.

I think the British public are sophisticated and will weigh it all up, so it's not foregone conclusion.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 01:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
I think you aught to look more closely at the make up of british industries before you isolate us from Europe.
Take one of the biggest banks, Lloyds. You think Lloyds is british, think again. It's owned by Santander which is a Spanish company. A more crucial industry to everyone, nuclear generation. We are more and more dependant on nuclear power. Who owns the reactors? An english company EDF? No ,no it is fully owned by Electricite de France. Which to you is the French nationalised power industry.
There are loads of European companies that own some of Britains large industries. Now how in gods name are we as a nation are we able to have any control over these European companies if we are out of the EU.
I wont go into what Nissan, Honda and Toyota would do if we left the EU as they use us as a stepping stone to get their vehicles into Europe. We can not survive in isolation, we must be multi-national as banki9ng and industries ARE multi- national.
If you really want some-one to blame look to your MEPs. I know our MEP a conservative (through her own words and actions) is ACTIVELY causing disruptions in the EU parliament because she wants us out of the EU.
Now how in hell is she fighting for a better deal for UK citizens if she's busy trying to get us out.

You do realize the world functioned before the EU right ??

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 01:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
a reply to: nwtrucker
Well I'll first ask a question and answer it. Why do you think that the Far East companies built their factories in the UK knowing we are an island and they would have to cross the water to get to Europe? Answer beacuase no European country would let them in because the wanted to protect their own industries. The only way for them into Europe at that time was through France and france was playing their usual game. They were letting them in but only ten cars per day.

So you have a problem with a nation protecting it's industries, it's workforce and it's middle class????

A lot of people have called the French a lot of things, but they certainly are not a bunch of spineless sellouts to global corporatocracy. I smile every time I read about the French violating EU laws and burning GMO crops.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: 8675309jenny
A lot of people have called the French a lot of things, but they certainly are not a bunch of spineless sellouts to global corporatocracy.

Umm. Thing is. The French people may not have sold-out, but the French politicians have. Could this be why there is the rise of the anti-Europe crowd?

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Out for me. Love Europe Hate EU.

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Vote yes, at the beautiful and so much meaningful Italian constitutional referendum, which is soooo good and Renzi loves it so much!

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join