It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religion is humans biggest failure...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 04:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: SuperFrog

originally posted by: uncommitted
It just dawned on me you were referring to my comment that was saying our biggest failure was to eat and scratch wasn't it? You are obviously unfamiliar with the work of the more sadly departed and in my opinion much more interesting Douglas Adams who made a comment along those lines in one of the 'Hitchhiker guide to the Galaxy' set of books. It was a joke, although only partly as apart from human intervention it seems to have worked for most of the other sentient species on earth.

So, joke or not, couldn't your comment be regarded as not-progressive??

Good grief, that's a boring question. No, it's not a 'not-progressive' comment, it was meant as humour (one of Gods greatest gifts) - look the word up, it's in the dictionary.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 04:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lucid Lunacy
a reply to: uncommitted

You've lost track of the train of thought. You insinuated he couldn't find "another job". He had many. Anyways.

His thoughts on whether god exists or not is a very small percentage of what he talked about. He was an antitheist and identified as such. He spoke against religion, and yes I would say he had expertise there. That's what knowledge brings a person. Now is it up to him, or any other non-believer, to prove god doesn't exist? No it's not. The burden of proof is on the one positing the claim. This is true about anything someone claims to be objectively truthful.

Sorry, you kind of argued with yourself there. If it wasn't up to him to prove God doesn't exist, then why did he write the books where he tried to indoctrinate people to believe that was the case? I'd like you to show a simple piece of evidence that there is no God, and I ask that based on if someone forcefully said they had knowledge there is a God that I would challenge them for that one piece of evidence to show there is a God...... you cannot be an expert in something for which expertise has yet to be defined. Having faith is one thing, having proof is different.
edit on 3-10-2015 by uncommitted because: typo

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 07:12 AM
link   

As if you read any of his books

I don't need to show any evidence there is no god. You really don't get this whole burden of proof thing do you. I lack belief in god because there is a lack of evidence in support of it. Same reason I lack belief in other things. Same reason you do outside of god context.

Please familiarize yourself with this

P.S. I'm saying he had expertise in being an anti-theist. This has to do with religion.
edit on 3-10-2015 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: SuperFrog
If you think you can help that discussion, feel free... use friend Google to find that Church actually killed progress for over 1K years... Do you ever wonder why in middle age biggest progress was in Islam world?!

Ahhh...so, you read through a google search and find a wikipedia entry that supports your theory to attempt to prove you are right.

And then, oddly enough, you turn around and state that it was a RELIGION that made intellectual progress during the middle ages?

But...but...I thought religion was soo evil and horrible!

And, before you get caught up in the idea that I am a Vatican worshipper...just stop. I could care less. I was merely using the Catholic Church as an example of how religion has occasionally helped the progress of man. This was made as a direct counter to your statement that "Religion is humans biggest failure".

Again, not that I am pro-religion...for myself, no, I am not...but I know others who are and they are good people....but rather that you need to be careful with such blanket statements.

edit on 3-10-2015 by nullafides because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: nullafides

The medieval Church inserted itself in all aspects of life, and continues do try to do so even today. From marriage, death and birth (property) rights, to what musical notes could be played, what history could be taught, what science was was acceptable, what medicine was acceptable, even what thoughts you could have, were all aspects of life that the Church sought to control, many times through the edge of a sword.

edit on 3-10-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lucid Lunacy

As if you read any of his books

I don't need to show any evidence there is no god. You really don't get this whole burden of proof thing do you. I lack belief in god because there is a lack of evidence in support of it. Same reason I lack belief in other things. Same reason you do outside of god context.

Please familiarize yourself with this

P.S. I'm saying he had expertise in being an anti-theist. This has to do with religion.

If I believe in any deity/divine architect, I don't have to prove existence, that's what the word faith means. There's no burden of proof attached to it. The burden of proof therefore is to prove that having a faith is wrong which is what IMHO is not achievable so why should I waste time reading (and paying for it) where someone is trying to tell me it is?

Now, there is a difference here between many topics on ATS. You tell me ET has been visiting this world, I am entitled to proof of some visitation. You tell me Sasquatch exists, again proof is required as it is for chemtrails versus contrails. The difference is that a faith requires no proof - I take it you also have not read Douglas Adams where he said if you can provide proof of a God you no longer need faith, and without faith that God would no longer exist.

Tricky to get your head round, I don't blame you if you find it too much effort.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: windword

The medieval Church inserted itself in all aspects of life, and continues do try to do so even today. From marriage, death and birth (property) rights, to what musical notes could be played, what history could be taught, what science was was acceptable, what medicine was acceptable, even what thoughts you could have, were all aspects of life that the Church sought to control, many times through the edge of a sword.

You appear to be missing the point of what I am saying.

I am not looking to say "SCIENCE! Brought to you by THE VATICAN!!!".

Instead, I am saying that those who studied various arts of science and humanities were actually able to do so in spite of the Catholic Church by mingling amongst the Churches very own. By becoming members of the Church. Protected, even bankrolled by the church. Not just during the Middle Ages...

Gregor Mendel

Jean Buridan

Nicole Oresme

Roger Bacon

Marin Mersenne

Andreas Vesalius

Roger Joseph Boscovich

And this is just a quick overview...there are many more....

So..... While I myself agree that religion is not in all ways wonderful and beautiful....

You simply cannot sweep everything under the rug just because you don't like religion. And I don't particularly like religion.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   

I am saying that those who studied various arts of science and humanities were actually able to do so in spite of the Catholic Church by mingling amongst the Churches very own.

So, what you're saying is that brilliant minds flocked to the educational constructs of the Catholic Church and were able to insert progressive science and humanities in spite of the fact that these Catholic institution were established to control the dissemination of information and limit human progress.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Listen....you can either read up on history, or not.

Everyone makes their own choices in life. Feel free to make your own.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: nullafides
a reply to: windword

Listen....you can either read up on history, or not.

Everyone makes their own choices in life. Feel free to make your own.

Exactly... and history is very bloody... speaking of science and religion. Christianity opposed new discoveries and Islam stagnated since science and math were taken as work of evil?! Before that Arabs got us astronomy, algebra, numeric system... Last 8 hundred years... not much...

My topic about that is still there, post if you think otherwise, but before read it... there is lots of info to things that religion did... lots of it showed in new Cosmos as well. Just look at opposition to genetic and steam cell research by religious groups today! (don't even need to go back to history to see how science and religion don't go well together).

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   

I don't have to prove existence, that's what the word faith means. There's no burden of proof attached to it.

Proof is on the one that support its truthfulness. That's the burden. If you have faith, fine. But once you start asking non-believers for proof, as you already have, then this will be brought to your attention. It's not on the non-believers to do so. You arguing that is from an uneducated position, and nothing more. Take a logic course.

The difference is that a faith requires no proof

So if a I tell you I have faith there is no god then it renders this argument moot?

Tricky to get your head round, I don't blame you if you find it too much effort.

You essentially admitted that evidence is not something you have nor is it required for your position. That's very easy to wrap my mind around.
edit on 3-10-2015 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 09:57 PM
link   
anyone who has read the old testiment has to agree...
that god was a vengeful, jealous, and a pitiful reason for worship.
he may have been a god back then but he was not GOD.
i dont know who he was but he is nothing i would worship.
personallly...i think god is not an exterier thing..but more an interier thing.
let your conscience be your guide...yep..jimminy cricket is God.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 11:20 PM
link   
No it isn't.

History is full of mistakes made by both the religious and those who are not, please do not act as if this is a strictly religious problem. Humans biggest failure is their lack of interest in anything that doesn't agree with their way of thinking, and equating what they don't understand with evil. " Muslims are evil and want to take over. Jews are evil and want to take over. Christians are evil and want to take over. Atheists are evil and want to take over". Your point of view is not mine, so why should it matter to me? Religion is humans biggest failure...because my side says so, so neener neener.

I think a quote from the Bloodhound Gang might bring what i'm saying into perspective.

"And I don't give a damn if you don't like me
'Cause' I don't like you 'cause you're not like me"

What is wrong with humans, where we fail, is our inability to see the other side, we are blinded by our own thoughts. We should all realize that what makes the world better, what makes us better, is our differences. Do we really want to live in a world where we all think the same thing? Do the same thing. Eat the same thing, act the same way, dress the same way, look the same way, listen to the same music...getting rather monotonous right? There would be no growing, no where to go in the kind of society that many of you appear to want, stagnant...would not matter if it was strictly religious, or strictly scientific.

I wish people would engage one another in conversations that encourage thoughtful debate instead of trying to engage one another in hateful rhetoric.

edit on 3-10-2015 by brandiwine14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 01:50 AM
link   
I feel this is an appropriate quote for this thread:

Religion was the race's first (and worst) attempt to make sense of reality. It was the best the species could do at a time when we had no concept of physics, chemistry, biology or medicine. We did not know that we lived on a round planet, let alone that the said planet was in orbit in a minor and obscure solar system, which was also on the edge of an unimaginably vast cosmos that was exploding away from its original source of energy. We did not know that micro-organisms were so powerful and lived in our digestive systems in order to enable us to live, as well as mounting lethal attacks on us as parasites. We did not know of our close kinship with other animals. We believed that sprites, imps, demons, and djinns were hovering in the air about us. We imagined that thunder and lightning were portentous. It has taken us a long time to shrug off this heavy coat of ignorance and fear, and every time we do there are self-interested forces who want to compel us to put it back on again.
~Christopher Hitchens.
edit on 4-10-2015 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   
It is clear to me that even the non-religious are affected by all sorts of "other" kinds of religions.

It is also clear the "humans" are not the originators of those religions, systems, and cutthroat brainwashing.

The machinations and POWER of the ceremonies, messages, prayers, and everything else are understood by very few on this planet, and this is why you appear unable to understand how it all continues endlessly.

Find those who KNOW how the Universe works, and destroy them , because they hold ETERNITY and everything else for RANSOM.
edit on 4-10-2015 by ParasuvO because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 12:29 AM
link   
a reply to: SuperFrog

YOU are mankinds worst failure.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 12:39 AM
link   
a reply to: HAZE3

Again.

Can we attack the points and not the people?

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 12:42 AM
link   
a reply to: ParasuvO

It is also clear the "humans" are not the originators of those religions

That's not lucid at all.

All evidence points to religions being originated here on Earth and by Earthlings.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 12:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Lucid Lunacy

And all evidence points out that you are an ass hole but that doesnt mean it has to define you. But all in good fun

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join