It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CIA-backed rebels, civilians reportedly targeted by Russian airstrikes in Syria

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Russia's first airstrikes in Syria Wednesday targeted areas held by rebels receiving arms, funding, and training from the CIA and killed dozens of civilians, according to U.S. officials and published reports.

The Syrian National Council, a group opposed to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, told Sky News that at least 36 people had been killed by airstrikes in the western city of Homs, including five children. Khaled Khoja, the SNC's leader, told Sky that none of the four areas targeted by Russian planes Wednesday contained ISIS fighters and called Moscow's claim that it was helping the U.S.-led coalition defeat the terror group "baseless."

CIA-backed rebels, civilians reportedly targeted by Russian airstrikes in Syria

Well...this will certainly heat things up a bit. So Russia tells the US to back off first, then bombs CIA assets and civilians. I don't see this being swept away or looked over by the US forces at all. I can only see this escalating at this point. Russia just bombed US assets according to the US government.

A senior U.S. defense official said the Russian strikes targeted fighters in the vicinity of Homs, located roughly 60 miles east of a Russian naval facility in Tartus, and were carried out by a "couple" of Russian bombers. In a video released by the U.S.-backed rebel group Tajamu Alezzah, jets are seen hitting a building claimed to be a location of the group in the town of Latamna in the central Hama province.

The group commander Jameel al-Saleh told a local Syrian news website that the group's location was hit by Russian jets but didn't specify the damage.

Sounds like the Russians should have been working a little more closely with US intelligence on their targets and who was housed in them. This is going to put a big mar on the Russian war machine and I fear it will begin the ultimate deterioration of US/Russian relations.

I am sitting with baited breath to see what happens next in this insane world....

+12 more 
posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 06:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

So what?

CIA are likely just making things worse as always.

Bomb all the terrorists and let Allah sort out the "good" terrorists and "bad" Terrorists.

Everyone should be concentrating on getting syria back under central control even if it is under Assad and eradicating the Jihadists THEN get Assad to go,

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 06:48 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Assad needs to go - it is estimated that he and his forces are responsible for 9/10 deaths in Syria and it is from him that most of the refugees are fleeing...

Amid recent geopolitical machinations, one simple reality appears to have been forgotten or purposefully ignored: Assad is not and should never be seen as a better alternative to IS.

From the very first days of the revolution, Assad and his intelligence apparatus have consistently facilitated the rise of jihadists. This policy of aiding and abetting jihadist militants and manipulating them for Damascus' policy interests is a well-established Assad family practice, dating back at least to the 1990s.

By releasing dozens of al-Qaeda prisoners in mid-2011, Assad helped give birth to a thriving Islamist insurgency, including an al-Qaeda affiliate. By then adopting a deliberate policy of not targeting IS, Assad directly facilitated that group's recovery and explosion into the transnational "Caliphate" movement it claims to be today.

Meanwhile, the Assad regime has conducted a consistent policy of intentional mass killing of civilians - first with air strikes and ballistic missiles, then with barrel bombs and widely alleged use of chemical weapons.

Bashar al-Assad has professionalised and industrialised the use of detention and torture to "cleanse" his own population, while imposing dozens of medieval-style sieges on vulnerable populations. He has consistently flouted UN Security Council resolutions and according to some sources, has been responsible for 95% of all 111,000 civilian deaths since 2011.

Viewpoint: West 'walking into abyss' on Syria - By Charles Lister, Visiting Fellow, Brookings Doha Center

It's a good read written by an academic, not a journo, as critical of the West's limp wristed response as well as Russia's back Assad at all costs plan.

edit on 1/10/15 by stumason because: (no reason given)

+8 more 
posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 06:50 AM
link   
im sick of hearing the ununited states of America's government views of other countries....

they seem to hate so many of the worlds nations....because they are different..and wont bow down to red white and blue...

go Vald go......

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 06:51 AM
link   
a reply to: stumason

He needs to go at some point yes.

But the Jihadist need to go first. They are the ones threatening UK national security.

Assad is no threat to me or the UK. ISIS and there ilk are.

And they can not be exterminated while you have a myriad different groups running round Syria like headless chickens .

Focus on one at a time starting with the biggest threats intentionally.

Ones ISIS and friends are gone then get Assad to leave.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Yep it will be interesting if all the covert crap gets seriously overt. If Russia declares a no fly zone around Damascus (and other regained areas) then I figure the big game will be on.... or cooler heads might come out of the wood work and say, "Ya know that Assad guy might be a bad cookie but let us all deal with ISIS once and for all"... I know I know it won't happen; to many vested interest wanting mayhem in the region and assisting ISIS.

+6 more 
posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 07:01 AM
link   
CIA backed rebels = terrorists, so Russia is cleaning up America's dirty work.

Any civilians caught up in this are a terrible loss, but given that this is urban warfare, unavoidable.

ETA before I get attacked for being cold hearted toward civilians, I am just pointing out the brutal, ugly facts. Civilians are dying because this war is taking place on the streets of cities and people are getting trapped as sides move and fight.

If you believe in God, this is one place you want to be praying for peace to come to.

edit on 1-10-2015 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Assad needs to go - it is estimated that he and his forces are responsible for 9/10 deaths in Syria and it is from him that most of the refugees are fleeing…

Wash, rinse, repeat. Western Mantras aside, The US is responsible for training, arming and funding the insurgencies that are doing most of the killing in Syria.

Sorting them out is easy, all the Russians have to do is take aim at anyone shooting at the Syrians.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 07:04 AM
link   

I saw this on the news last night and was gonna start a thread but I assumed ATS would have been all over it already, I guess not.

I had a sinking feeling in my gut when I heard this reported, I can't see this going well at all

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 07:05 AM
link   
a reply to: tri-lobe-1

But Russia's "views on other countries" is perfectly acceptable? Hypocrisy much?

Whether it's the US, Russia, China or whomever, they'll only be doing what they think is right for their nation. To single one out for criticism when other nations are doing the same thing smacks of bias.

Oh yeah, I forgot, this is ATS - the USA is the font of all evil and Vlad is the paragon of virtue who seeks to protect the weak...

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Which is exactly the response discussed in the article I linked and is doomed to fail.

Personally, if I was PM, I'd send a message to all parties - Assad, moderates, Islamists or ISIS. Either submit to a peace conference and immediate cease fire, or you get blown away, no matter who you you are. And I'd deploy boots on the ground....

The problem would be solved in months.

The problem is, because of some previous adventurism under false pretences our Political leaders are now lacking the bollocks to get to grips with the problem. Instead, they pussy foot around with token air strikes, not solving a great deal.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 07:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: markosity1973
CIA backed rebels = terrorists, so Russia is cleaning up America's dirty work.

Any civilians caught up in this are a terrible loss, but given that this is urban warfare, unavoidable.

Most of the civilians have left the zones of combat. There are millions of them in nearby countries. Last I read Lebanon, Jordan, and Turkey harbor a million Syrian refugees each.

UNHCR

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 07:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: stumason

Which is exactly the response discussed in the article I linked and is doomed to fail.

Personally, if I was PM, I'd send a message to all parties - Assad, moderates, Islamists or ISIS. Either submit to a peace conference and immediate cease fire, or you get blown away, no matter who you you are. And I'd deploy boots on the ground....

I would go for that at this point.

Still I doubt it would be solved in "months" .

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Were did it all go wrong for Bashar..? They all used to be quite tight.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Expand the war and fight the Syrian Army, ISIS and the Russians?

With "boots on ground", even.

Thats some plan.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 07:15 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Yes most are gone but as in any crisis situation, a few stay because they are brave, stubborn or just can't because they are too ill, old etc.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Just seeing news of the talks, between the two secretray of states, kerry and his Russian counterpart.

US is concerned that Russia is targeting other rebel groups other than IS, and accusing Russia of doing this in support of Assad.

While Russia admits to attacking other rebel groups, but intends to open communications with the US to avoid any "unintended incidents" as qouted from the Russian secretary of state.

Both countries are currently, in talks behind closed doors. As we anticipate what, comes of this talks, since both nations we know are split on the Syrian war.

The last we want is any further miscommunications, which seems very likely.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 07:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: stumason

The problem is, because of some previous adventurism under false pretences our Political leaders are now lacking the bollocks to get to grips with the problem. Instead, they pussy foot around with token air strikes, not solving a great deal.

Thank Christ you aint and never will be Prime Minister...Maybe you are...is that you pig boy??

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 07:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
Wash, rinse, repeat. Western Mantras aside, The US is responsible for training, arming and funding the insurgencies that are doing most of the killing in Syria.

Sorting them out is easy, all the Russians have to do is take aim at anyone shooting at the Syrians.

Ah yes, all hail the virtuous Russians! They're not doing this out of any kind of selfish need at all, they're altruists looking after their fellow humans...

Honestly...

Those figures come from the NGO's on the ground. Dispute them if you want, but come up with some alternative sources not simply you're opinion.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Ehm why would they want to left another terrorist group active in the country, even if they aint the ISIS guys and why would ppl want to support these terrorist and supply em like USA does? If anything this should be clear truth that USA is behind the terrorism inside Syria and most likely have been since it beginning. Russia should bomb those CIA terrorrist guys to hell out there as well.
edit on 1-10-2015 by romilo because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join