It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Indian Tejas Mk1 buy

page: 1

join
share:
RAB

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Hi Guys and Girls,

It appears that the Indian Air Force need jets in a hurry and as such are going to buy 120 Tejas.

Linkage:

www.defense-aerospace.com...

I'm not aware of the issues surrounding the Tejas but if it's weapons carriage, weight and the Radar are issues then the logic behind this seem a little odd. Unless the Indian government are trying to prop up HAL until the Rafale deal starts and HAL get some knowledge.

Any thoughts?

RAB

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: RAB

The Indian government has been having huge problems getting any contracts signed with outside nations. They're in desperate need of aircraft to replace their MiG-21s. They can't afford to go years trying to sign a deal.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Right, only took them 3 years to sign a deal with Boeing for Apache and Chinooks.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: RAB

To me it's a new outdated design. I don't see them being effective against Pakistan or China in an air war. Looks to be a similar concept to the KAI T/a-50 but without the heritage of the f-16 in its bloodlines. Perfect opportunity for our state department to steal a contract with an f-35a/c offer and throw in the EMALs they want for their new carrier as well. Really wouldn't hurt the U.S. to keep the pak-50 from getting such a big production boost with the India sale. Maybe even work in an airbase as part of the deal we could definitely use one in the area closer than Diego garcia(which looks incredibly empty on the latest satellite pictures).
rant

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 09:13 PM
link   
The ministry allowed the IAF to operate 42 sqaud of Combat fixed wings, But IAF has only some 32 Squads

Even half of the fleet comprised with vintage MiG 21 and MiG 27 fighters, IAF phasing out two to three sqaud of those vintage fighters every year, by 2022 IAF phase out all older MiG 21 and 27.

But it seems, No alternate solution found for replacement, The so called MMRCA deal too dead

So the vacuum of light and medium category still exists, here it is many foreigners offering their fighters with ToT, the list include American F 16, F 18, Textron Scorpion, Swedish JAS 39 Gripen, Still no one selected, even the 36 Rafale procurement plan also hits roadblock due to several reasons.

As per the Tejas plan .. IAF committed to buy some 40 Tejas Mark 1 Fighter, the delivery would be completed by 2019.

after that IAF plans for Tejas MK 2..however there is no clear vision of exact timeline, But it's clearly IAF may see the Mark 2 fighter by 2024 or later.

within the 2019 - 2024 cap HAL wants the Tejas production line running ..this is where they offering the Mark 1 A

As per current plan

Tejas Mark 1 - 40 units
Tejas Mark 1 A - 126-140 units
Tejas Mark II - 200 units

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 10:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

And even longer to get their ASW helicopters.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 06:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: CaughtlurkingTo me it's a new outdated design. I don't see them being effective against Pakistan or China in an air war.

Well India needs to keep their domestic capability alive whether or not this is a good plane to bring to the table when the chips are down.

top topics

join