It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our Legacy - Are we responsible for what we leave behind?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I am a Boomer and I have reached the stage in my life where I am more than ready to turn over the reins. I come from a very large; very large, family. We combine Thanksgiving each year with our annual Family Reunion.

I remember quite fondly the first time I graduated to being the host of our Thanksgiving – Family Reunion dinner. It was my right of passage into true adulthood. I was no longer a youngster that needed my hand held, or to be guided. I was being recognized and accepted as an adult in my clan. It felt fabulous.

Well, a lot of years have come and gone since then. During that time I raised children of my own. I took that responsibility quite seriously, maybe even a bit more seriously than they would have liked. I was huge, alright; I was obsessive about personal responsibility. I would never condone a poor behavior choice, with the excuse of, “They did it to me first!” I lived for trying to prepare my children for a life that I knew was not going to be easy for them, because all of them were stepping out on their journey with baggage that the world would try to use to keep them weighed down. I did everything I could to teach them to swim with an anchor on their back , as if it were a beach ball. Now the time has come to pass the baton.

This is going to be the first Thanksgiving-Family Reunion where the kids are going to be doing everything themselves. I know that I have a tendency to be a little verbose in my post. It is extremely difficult for me to get my point across without a bit of a backstory. Not that it has ever stopped the fly-by post from the person with the odd sense of humor or the unavoidable troll, however, I try to let you know where my heads is at the time of the post to help with your understanding of where I am coming from.

I came across this article on the Internet and I found it very interesting. Though I don’t agree with everything it has to say, I do think they are fairly accurate on many of their observations. It identifies what it says are the six different generations alive today.

Generation Z/Boomlets. Born after 2001* In 2006 there were a record number of births in the US and 49% of those born were Hispanic, this will change the American melting pot in terms of behavior and culture. The number of births in 2006 far outnumbered the start of the baby boom generation, and they will easily be a larger generation. Since the early 1700’s the most common last name in the US was ‘Smith’ but not anymore, now it is Rodriguez. There are two age groups right now: (a) Tweens. (a1) Age 8-12 years old. (a2) There will be an estimated 29 million tweens by 2009. (a3) $51 billion is spent by tweens every year with an additional $170 billion spent by their parents and family members directly for them. (b)Toddler/Elementary school age. 61 percent of children 8-17 have televisions in their rooms. 35 percent have video games. 14 percent have a DVD player. 4 million will have their own cell phones. They have never known a world without computers and cell phones. Have Eco-fatigue: they are actually tired of hearing about the environment and the many ways we have to save it. With the advent of computers and web based learning, children leave behind toys at younger and younger age. It’s called KGOY-kids growing older younger, and many companies have suffered because of it, most recognizable is Mattel, the maker of Barbie dolls. In the 1990’s the average age of a child in their target market was 10 years old, and in 2000 it dropped to 3 years old. As children reach the age of four and five, old enough to play on the computer, they become less interested in toys and begin to desire electronics such as cell phones and video games. They are Savvy consumers and they know what they want and how to get it and they are over saturated with brands.

The Six Living Generations

Around ATS, it is common to hear statements being made that blame the present condition of our world on a huge variety of things, people and events. Of course the fingers rarely point towards the person posting, sometimes, but not often. It is starting to feel like too many of us have become too willing and accepting of being victims.

I am very troubled by the condition of the world we live in. Many of my generation has feared and we have fought and resisted much of what is taking place right now. Did we make mistakes? Yes. Tons of them. Not because we were greedy and self-centered, but because we wanted to give so much more than we ever had.

We grew up with so little that almost every second of our day was to work. It was about taking care of self, family and by necessity, neighbor. We didn’t have TV to entertain us. We had dreams, and the Sears and Montgomery Wards catalogs; our glimpse into the world of the rich, our secret motivators.

We struggled and we succeeded. We had children of our own and we swore our children would never have to struggle the way we did. We tried to give them all the niceties of life that we could only wish for, from a catalog of dreams. We thought it would make them better and happier than us. If we failed it wasn’t for lack of trying.

When I look at the descriptions of the generations before me, I see how they impacted me. When I look at the generations after me, I see our failures and our successes. Many may not agree with me, but I do believe that we are responsible for the generations to come. Not just in how we prepare them, but how we prepare the world they will have to live in. I used to think we did a truly lousy job of it. Maybe I was wrong. Yes we made mistakes, but they are mistakes that our children can see were made, because we loved them, and hopefully part of the legacy we leave, will be a lesson is what not to do.

It is going to be a very interesting Thanksgiving this year

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

There is a African quote: you can't raise a child on your own, it takes a village. When you think you raised them good and bad you didn't, only thing you can teach is consequence. The rest society does

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 05:31 PM
link   

In answer to the thread title, the north American Indians had it right. You must think about the consequences of your actions, thinking ahead seven generations and leaving this world a better place for that seventh generation in the far future. There is no hope for tomorrow, if one destroys the future of those they leave behind for the selfish benefit of today.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

My Grandmother was a medicine woman. Maybe that is why my mother and myself went into the medical field. She taught us about the importance of our having a healthy and symbiotic relationship to the Earth.

It is late but it is not too late to clean up our act and to clean up our Earth. We need to pass those old teachings on the the next generations. Unfortunately children learn more from what they see than from what you say.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   

That was a pleasure to read. Thank you for writing it. I hope to read more.

In short, yes, as individuals, we are literally responsible for what we leave behind. However in the figurative sense you put it in, no, we are not responsible for the generations after us, for any such aggregate is only the sum-total of individual responsibilities that make up that group. Neither of us can take responsibility of another's responsibilities, and one cannot feel a responsibility to what world an aggregate leaves behind.

Rather, we can only feel shame that we are to be thrown into such a grouping, guilty only by chance and happenstance, like our children will be.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Rather, we can only feel shame that we are to be thrown into such a grouping, guilty only by chance and happenstance, like our children will be.

I agree that it seems the only thing we pass down consistently, is a bunch of bad choices, evil deeds, and a continual destruction of the very organism that houses and sustains us.

Yet I just can't give up hope. In each generation I want to believe that we have enough amazing children, that can see above, and move beyond, the obstacles we continue to build we up around them. That one day there will be enough of them, with the seeds we have planted, their intelligence, and advancing technology, that they will be able to start the reversal process, and start all of humanity on a new path towards harmony,

Thank you for your post.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 09:09 PM
link   

edit on 30-9-2015 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: Serious duplicate post glitch going on tonight.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   

My concern is while the generations after mine seem to have retained some interest in humanity, the sixth generation, Generation Z seem uninterested in humanity, the Earth or living things. While they are likely to catapult us ahead technologically, I fear the loss of our humanism.

I know there are many that think it will make for a better world, but unless they find other materials for their devices, the toll on the Earth will be catastrophic.

I hope that we recognize this while they are still young, and we plant the seeds of wisdom, so they will not have to be forced off this beautiful and majestic planet. Contrary to what many believe our resources are "not" inexhaustible.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   

In the thread www.abovetopsecret.com..., there is a discussion about how the present influx of migrants from the Middle East is part of the master plan for trans-humanism. It is extremely interesting when you start to put pieces of a gigantic jigsaw puzzle together and small bits of the picture seem to start to emerge.

I was never a proponent of trans-humanism. I always thought Hal, The Borg Collective, and a million and one other sci-fi movies, had well taught us that trans-humanism is not a very attractive or desirable future for mankind.

Unfortunately, some viruses are slow and insidious, and by the time you start to see any signs or symptoms, the terminal disease will have been firmly established.

As reported in the article The Six Living Generations:

(b)Toddler/Elementary school age. 61 percent of children 8-17 have televisions in their rooms. 35 percent have video games. 14 percent have a DVD player. 4 million will have their own cell phones. They have never known a world without computers and cell phones. Have Eco-fatigue: they are actually tired of hearing about the environment and the many ways we have to save it.

I hope this not an early sign of a generation that is being primed for a trans-humanistic future. In every great story, there is that pivotal moment where the ending of the story could completely change, if only one person had done or said something different.

Why do I feel in my heart of hearts that we are all living in a pivotal moment in history, that we have the opportunity to change things and make a truly better world and future for the generations to come?

I guess I am just a pre-senile old fart that is just a dreamer.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I don't understand why it keeps double posting. I get the "formatting to post" window, with the circular spinning arrow, then after what does seem to be a but longer than it should, it enters the post, but two not one. It has only been going on for the last 3 days. I have changed nothing on my computer nor have I changed anything on ATS, so I am clueless to why it keeps double posting. I
edit on 2-10-2015 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: Deleted a double post.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   
This thread is starting to look like my personal blog, but I don't mind. I don’t post to create controversy. I post when something weighs heavy on my mind and I need an outlet. I do appreciate input from others that wish to share their thoughts and viewpoints. So even if no one else sees this, or comments, it allows me a place to vent and express myself, in a fairly safe environment.

I stopped at my neighborhood library to put an item I wanted on hold. I was a bit surprised at how few children were there. The library after school used to be the primo meeting place for the local children, mainly because in the country, there aren’t a whole lot of places to hang out.

It doesn't surprise me that children are less interested in the library, when they have all the knowledge of the world at their fingertips. The library may have lost its appeal, since reference material is readily available straight from the internet, and virtual socialization is the new standard.

I think the new distant forms of socialization and friendships are becoming common and accepted by the younger children, older youths and college age young people are actually in the transitional phase of this shift, and I think it has a very negative impact or their psyche. It also may be playing a huge role in the socialization problems that most of these school shooter always mention when rationalizing their actions.

Our children need to learn how to play again.

The Play Deficit

We need to become parents again.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Too lazy to start a new post so I am dusting off this almost 2 year old post.

I stumbled across this article today about the challenges of good parenting and the importance of early training. I very much believe that there is no job more demanding, stressful, time intensive, or important, as good parenting.

In a society where every second is allocated to something, and multitasking is a prerequisite, parenting is ranking poorly for some, and it is showing.

I truly believe behavior that is not cute at the age of 16, is not cute at the age of 2. Parenting is a 24/7 job, and I think many parents are falling into the trap of thinking that in order to be a good parent your child has to see you as their BFF. Mutual love and respect are the key.

Any way I found the article worth sharing.
6 Little Behavior Problems That Shouldn't Be Ignored

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   

I know this may be extreme but the only way for Generation Z to really take things seriously is through an economic collapse.

For so long the US (and the West and other developed nations) never experienced hardship. Last time there was hardship was during the Civil Rights era. After that while things aren't perfect, it wasn't at the scale of the Great Depression.

As a result, the Boomers and future Generations had become more complacent and only known good times.

I only thought of this after seeing the rise of the SJW movement and seeing that many Milennials (I'm a Milennial myself) complained about petty things.

With an economic collapse, I'm pretty sure they'll snap out of it and realize things are not what it seems to be and start worrying about legitimate issues.
edit on 9/30/2017 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

I know this may be extreme but the only way for Generation Z to really take things seriously is through an economic collapse.

Economic collapse and mass destruction will be a wake up call for all.

I am hoping that the warnings will be enough for enough people to realize that survival will be dependent on self and community. Those waiting for the government to come to their aide will be placed at a severe disadvantage.

I agree. A reset is likely in our future. I am just afraid the majority of our children are not being prepared to be self sufficient, and too many parents will be too blindsided to be of any help for themselves, and no help for their children.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 12:37 PM
link   

In my college, I actually had an economic professor admitting that an economic collapse is a possibility. I gotta admit I'm surprised he said this because a lot of professors and the media are saying things are gonna recover and everything will be fine.

Part of it was because when the recession first began in 2008, he did a lot of extensive research because his gut feeling tells him that something big is gonna happen and that's how he realize that it may be possible an economic collapse will be inevitable.

He even admitted that the American Empire is declining and that in 10 years time, he believed it's possible the US military might be weakened by that point.

You know Generation Z may be a fitting name because they will probably be the last generation to experience our current economic system before its fall.

As the saying goes, nothing last forever.
edit on 9/30/2017 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Nice and thought provoking OP. I enjoyed reading it.

My conclusion? We can only do the best we can do.....and.......we have absolutely NO control over the future. Because of the ever accelerating change rate, we can't even reasonably be able to prepare our offspring for what the future holds. The best gift we could give them is the most difficult for them to grasp and accept, self sufficiency. I see some doing that. Those that don't are raising victims.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

The best gift we could give them is the most difficult for them to grasp and accept, self sufficiency. I see some doing that. Those that don't are raising victims.

I cannot agree more.

There is very little in life that we can control, but what we do, say, and allow, can have a massive impact on our lives, the lives of our children, and our future.

The greatest gift a parent can give their child, is the gift of self sufficiency.

top topics

join