It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More Than 50 People Shot for the Second Weekend in a Row in Chicago

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   
So what is the answer then? A cleansing of certain neighborhoods in cities like this every few years? Seriously idk. No sarcasm here for or against gun control. But wtf is the answer? Stats like this are insane.

(post by ManBehindTheMask removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Well, considering that Chicago isn't even in the top 30 for murder rates in the USA...if it had the murder rate of Atlanta, there would have been twice as many deaths over the past weekend.

It is interesting to note:

According to the FBI figures, Flint, Mich., had the highest murder rate of any sizeable U.S. city in 2012, the most recent year available. There were 62 murders per 100,000 population (which, coincidentally, was just about Flint’s estimated population that year). Trailing Flint were Detroit (54.6 murders per 100,000), New Orleans (53.2 per 100,000) and Jackson, Miss., (35.8 per 100,000). Chicago, whose population is several times bigger than any of those cities, came in 21st, with 18.5 murders per 100,000 — nearly quadruple the national average, true, but still nowhere near the highest in the country. (It’s worth noting that New Orleans didn’t report data in 2005, the year Hurricane Katrina struck.)

Link

It's true you can't buy a gun in Chicago due to the gun laws, but it's not illegal to own one. Chicago is also a little unique in that within 15 minutes in any direction out of the city of Chicago into Indiana or Wisconsin there are TONS of gun shops just waiting for people. It is kind of like firework stands set up right across the city limit line, and both Wisconsin and Indiana have very LAX gun laws.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: HawkeyeNation

originally posted by: Edumakated
Here are all the gun stats on Chicago...

Chicago Gun Violence Stats

I live in Chicago. Almost all the violence is concentrated in the west and south side of the city. Almost all of the violence is black on black (to a lesser degree hispanic) and gang related. 99% of the firearms are illegal obtained. Almost all the shooters can't even legally own a firearm.

Overall, Chicago is a very safe and world class city though despite its Democrat/liberal created fiscal problems. The vast majority of people have no business or any reason to be in the areas afflicted by this violence.

The reality is that this isn't a gun violence problem, but a black gang ghetto problem. Until we are willing to accept the truth of the matter, solutions will not come.

If what you are saying is accurate (I have no reason to believe that it isn't) then I guess we should just wait it out and let them fix the problems for us. That's by killing each other off one day at a time. Ok that is harsh...but seriously don't these guys have anything better to do?

In the words of the great poet, Ice T, in his seminal work Colors. "The gangs of LA (Chicago) will never die... just multiply..."

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: lightedhype
So what is the answer then? A cleansing of certain neighborhoods in cities like this every few years? Seriously idk. No sarcasm here for or against gun control. But wtf is the answer? Stats like this are insane.

The answer is black people standing up for them selves and to stop killing each other. The schools are there to educate the kids but they are not taking advantage of the opportunity. The schools only fail to teach the kids because the kids are not being made to learn by their parents. The violent attitude must change and that change starts at home.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

After multiple weekends in a row of increased violence in the city, Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel is urging a fresh and more proactive approach to gun control.

Maybe Rahm should ban guns in and around Chicago. That should fix the problem right?

...Sorry if this is like the 99th sarcastic post.

V

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

On a per capita basis, Chicago isn't as bad as some smaller cities. You can slice and dice the numbers any number of ways (Chicago is a huge metro area, but violence is highly concentrated in a few small pockets). The issue really isn't which city is more violent. The reality is that black ghettos all over the country have high rates of gun violence that need to be addressed.

Every major urban area has an issue with gun violence and just like Chicago, that violence is highly concentrated in lower income black neighborhoods.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Gun, anti gun.

The level of conversation has been reduced so badly that I can't even participate abymore.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Milah

Instead of talking more about tightening gun control for people legally buying guns how about we talk about ridding ourselves of gangs and gang culture?

gang members don't go to gun shops and go through background checks to obtain guns

yea know because they're in a gang

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
Gun, anti gun.

The level of conversation has been reduced so badly that I can't even participate abymore.

I totally get this.

#1 Millions....literally millions...own, shoot, buy and sell guns. They NEVER NEVER NEVER have to use them. They go about their lives like most good law-abiding Americans and safely and lawfully have and/or carry them.

#2 Then you have the criminals, the thugs, the baddies that because of their culture, mentality, and whatever, CHOOSE to live a life of gangs, thuggery, and criminality. They kill each other...period.

The solution is not to take away the everyday American's 2A right or put yet more laws on them. Criminals don't abide by those laws, so why burden me and you with them.

I used to think we just need to educate and help those bad cultures to change. Not so much anymore. I am convinced that some cultures and some mentalities cannot be changed nor helped. It is what it is, as they say. Those people haven't just lost their moral compass....they don't have one and probably most of them are incapable of developing one.

The people that get tired of living in these places always find a way to get out and some of them go on to become successful productive American citizens. Evolution....survival of the fittest....natural selection. If they have the right stuff, they succeed.
edit on 30-9-2015 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: TOYBEAR

I think many CULT-ures and tribes got a little supremacist attitude going on.

Whatever happened to a good ole btchSLAP or getting in the ring and going 5 rounds?

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: superluminal11
a reply to: TOYBEAR

I think many CULT-ures and tribes got a little supremacist attitude going on.

Whatever happened to a good ole btchSLAP or getting in the ring and going 5 rounds?

You would think with the billions upon billions of dollars that have been poured into non-profits to develop solutions to inner city problems, something would have worked by now after half a century of taxpayers pouring money into these areas. Boxing rings? Hundreds have probably been built with grant money. Check it out.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   
WHat needs to happen is ELiminating the gangs in chicago. The way they used to eliminate gangs. with massive overdoses of lead. Make it so that being in a gang is a death sentence. How can this be justified? BY declaring all gangs Terrorist organizations and under the NDAA they can be killed legally.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: shockedonlooker
Skipper Obama's home state, run by the little buddy...imagine that!

LOL I knew it wouldn't be long till someone blamed Obama. Yes it's all his fault. Thanks Obama!

You probably should get out in the real world a little bit more. Step out of your house, talk to people.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey
a reply to: luthier

I said nothing about a government's duty to protect, I said the government doesn't have a duty to regulate human respect for life.

Police protection and instilling respect for life are not even remotely the same thing.

Well my comment was if the police were actually enough of a presence and the business protected on top of not attaching property tax as the major funding of schools these gangs wouldn't have such an easy time doing bad things.

Maybe a few stand your ground laws would help good people protect their stores and property too.

Obviously there are some better policing measures that would help. It's worth the extra money considering all the other waste that the government spends on things they aren't supposed to.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Unfortunately you are right. It has been the same throughout all time.

Any area that has a large group of people with no money, jobs or hopes for anything better, if they have the power or opportunity will either cannibalize from within or they will terrorize and steal from their neighbors.

Heck, religions were built on this behavior. All it takes is an excuse. In most cases the victims say Satan made them do it. The aggressors say God commands them to kill their persecutors.

Does not make a good argument for evolution.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: KawRider9
a reply to: StoutBroux

More laws will put a stop to this!

Said no sane person ever.

More guns will..............
Yada yada yada right?

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Chicago doesn't have a gang problem, it has a lack of family structure problem which is the worst in black households. 72% of black kids are born out of wedlock. Is it the black mans fault for impregnating his black women and then leaving all responsibility behind or is it the black woman's fault for lying down with questionable black men in a hopeless quest to find love that she never had due to her not having an active black father? No wonder these women choose to have babies at a young age, the love between a mother and her baby is second to none. Now the black woman has love that is not fleeting or pretend,she has the love only a mother can have for her child.

As a former Chicago resident, and teacher at a low income school, I am glad that I moved out of the overtaxed and over problematic existence that is cook county. The corrupt individuals, in power, just exploit these communities for their gain and their only solution is more taxes and more government programs that don't work. Thank God for Arizona!
edit on 30-9-2015 by LooseLipsSinkShips because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing

originally posted by: shockedonlooker
Skipper Obama's home state, run by the little buddy...imagine that!

LOL I knew it wouldn't be long till someone blamed Obama. Yes it's all his fault. Thanks Obama!

You probably should get out in the real world a little bit more. Step out of your house, talk to people.

It's his fault as well as all the presidents who don't treat the situation like an emergency. Surely they need to have much more police and special training until the problem can be controlled. Encouraging companies to open up there through major tax breaks and ensuring the protection of the bussinesses would be a start.

But no just talk about guns and make laws for people already ignoring them so you can feel good and do nothing.

So yeah in that sense it's his mess too.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: LooseLipsSinkShips
Chicago doesn't have a gang problem, it has a lack of family structure problem which is the worst in black households. 72% of black kids are born out of wedlock. Is it the black mans fault for impregnating his black women and then leaving all responsibility behind or is it the black woman's fault for lying down with questionable black men in a hopeless quest to find love that she never had due to her not having an active black father? No wonder these women choose to have babies at a young age, the love between a mother and her baby is second to none. Now the black woman has love that is not fleeting or pretend,she has the love only a mother can have for her child.

As a former Chicago resident, and teacher at a low income school, I am glad that I moved out of the overtaxed and over problematic existence that is cook county. The corrupt individuals, in power, just exploit these communities for their gain and their only solution is more taxes and more government programs that don't work. Thank God for Arizona!

Right....maybe read some urban anthropology to get a better sense of the situation its hardly that simple.

I live in a black community in south Carolina. We don't have even close to the problems of Chicago. Not even close.

In fact it's an extremely well integrated culture in Columbia despite what the news will tell you.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join