It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘Pope Francis Thanked Me for My Courage’

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   
That is what the Pope told Kim Davis, according to her lawyer. I mainly post this because in this Thread there was a debate on whether the Pope was referring Kim Davis as a conscientious objector and if he was praising her actions. A certain Super Mod was adamant it was spin by the right, to make it look like the Pope was referring to Davis. It turns out, according to her lawyer, the Pope met with Kim Davis and praised her for her courage and asked her to pray for him. Although it may be true that the Pope was not directly addressing Kim Davis in his talks with reporters. It does sound like he considers her right for doing what she did.

“I was humbled to meet Pope Francis. Of all people, why me?” Davis said in the statement. “Pope Francis was kind, genuinely caring, and very personable. He even asked me to pray for him. Pope Francis thanked me for my courage and told me to ‘stay strong.'”

But on Sunday, during a news conference on his flight from Philadelphia to Rome, Francis was asked a question about public officials refusing to carry out their duties as a matter conscience.

No direct mention of Davis was made.

“I can say the conscientious objection is a right that is a part of every human right. It is a right,” Francis said. “Conscientious objection must enter into every juridical structure because it is a right, a human right.”

KTLA

+5 more 
posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: harvestdog

The pope has many good ideas that are refreshing coming from the most conservative organization on the planet, but then again he DOES represent the most conservative organization on the planet. It's not inconceivable to see that the pope will still have outdated beliefs as well.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Not sure what to make of it, particularly as obviously we don't know what was discussed between them if they did meet, but even on what has been reported, I'm not sure I read it that the Pope said he agreed with her opinion, but that he agreed with her right to have an opinion based on her moral stance. If that is the case I kind of agree but it's a tricky one in that if you never want to kill someone then you shouldn't join the infantry if you will pardon my use of a metaphor.

+6 more 
posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   
It makes me sick how someone acting like such a bigot can get so famous and gain so much support from it. This lady is the epitome of what's going wrong with America today. Bigotry is awarded, acceptance is frowned upon. It really is bass ackwards.
edit on 9/30/2015 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   
It says you got until woodworm to fix ya s***

Best part about it, im fully scholared by the time. OLD SCHOOL IS BACK!!!

edit on 30-9-2015 by Hyperia because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Wonder if this will make all the conservatives like him now...

Would say he missed the boat on this one,I know why he said he it but it just doesn't work that way in the states.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Fair enough, that is your opinion. May I ask who it is you consider the most conservative orginazation on the planet?
If you refer to the Catholic Church, I would consider Baptist and non-denomination Evangelicals more conservative. If you are referring to the Christian Church as a whole, I would question if they are more conservative than say the Taliban.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   
But isn't he a progressive shill?

I mean, just six days ago you said the following in your thread Little Girl Pleads Pope for Immigration Reform (my bold):

This little girl sent the Pope a letter asking him to talk to the President and Congress for Immigration Reform. Both of her parents are Illegal Aliens. She was lifted over a barrier by her father when he and her traveled to D.C. from California to see him. Security rushed the girl to the Pope-mobile and he blessed her. It all seems so staged to me.

What really pisses me off is that Congress would give this guy a day on the floor. The Pope is a joke and he has no business of meddling in our affairs. These activists are seriously deluded to think we give a flying # what the Pope says or thinks. He ought to mind his own business and stay out of our Capitol. He didn't say crap on his molesting priests. Just praise to the Bishops how they moved them around. The Org is sick and they are using little clueless kids to try and push an agenda. Enough!

Funny how the tone shifts.
edit on 2015-9-30 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: harvestdog
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Fair enough, that is your opinion. May I ask who it is you consider the most conservative orginazation on the planet?
If you refer to the Catholic Church, I would consider Baptist and non-denomination Evangelicals more conservative. If you are referring to the Christian Church as a whole, I would question if they are more conservative than say the Taliban.

The Roman Catholic Church is, in my opinion, the most conservative organization on the planet. The Baptist and Protestant churches are offshoots of the RCC, so they are actually slightly more liberal than the RCC.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   

I'd tend to agree as it seems to me that many members of the Christian Right would welcome an oppressive theocracy as long as it was the religion of their preference.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
It makes me sick how someone acting like such a bigot can get so famous and gain so much support from it. This lady is the epitome of what's going wrong with America today. Bigotry is awarded, acceptance is frowned upon. It really is bass ackwards.

the rewards also go to people that deny science, deny facts, and are loud and simplistic in their problem-solving skills.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: uncommitted

Your questions cannot be answered by me. According to Davis' lawyer they met for about 10 minutes and pictures would be released at a later date. I know not of what they said to each other, but I get the impression it wasn't a scolding on her beliefs. He asked her to pray for him, maybe that he might have the courage to take a harder line himself.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Two things about this story.

1. On the internet, some of the most vehement opposition to everything Kim Davis did (and stands for) are the same people who were praising this Pope for his particular stance on many issues - so, IF TRUE, this will, imo, prove somewhat awkward for those same people to reconcile.

2. Many government employees ignore their job description requirements and refuse to do them on the grounds of their religious beliefs. George Bush ignoring the will of the people, congress, the UN security council and about 95% of the planets population and deciding to invade Iraq is an example of a government employee saying F###-you I'll do what I consider Gods will.............like when he quoted Psalm 23:4 just before the invasion.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft
The opposite of your first point is very ture as well, same people that have been opposing him on many points will have the same awkward reconciliation.

I like alot of what he says, but think him saying this is wrong. Won't rant about how he has no business saying it, just that I don't agree with it.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   

“I can say the conscientious objection is a right that is a part of every human right. It is a right,” Francis said. “Conscientious objection must enter into every juridical structure because it is a right, a human right.”

"Conscientious objection" is fine. Until it is taken to the extent of trampling someone elses rights She can object all she wants. But not on my dime, and not at the cost of someone elses rights under constitutional law.

It seems to me the pope took a neutral stance. He's saying it's good to stand up for your convictions. He did not say it was good to deny others their convictions. I like this pope better than his predecessors, but he just lost a few points with me. Not that he cares. lol.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

A couple of points,
I did not call the Pope a 'Progressive shill'. See what you want, but I didn't say that. I said I do not like him speaking on Capitol Hill about Immigration Reform to our Representatives. You may well know that there are a fair number of Catholics in both Houses of Congress. They may take his advice as coming from God. He is after called the Vicar of Christ. I didn't think we wanted a Theocracy. And even a lot of Evangelicals believe that Representative of God on Earth nonsense. And you know there are plenty of them representing us.
This thread was to namely point out that the Pope was talking about Kim Davis as a conscientious objector. He agrees she can make a stand relying in their conscience , and it is a Human Right. What the Pope tells a low level employee behind closed doors is a bit different than having a stage in the Capitol.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

I doubt it will have any change in the minds of most conservatives about the Pope. Most conservatives I know don't really buy into the whole Pope thing. After all, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   

She DOES have a right to conscientious objection. She does NOT have a right to hold a government job that she refuses to do. She does NOT have a right to deny others their constitutionally guaranteed rights.

Let her object all she wants, but get her out of that job!

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   
As the Pope commended Kim Davis on her stance on gay marriage, I wonder if he acknowledged the fact that she's been married four times or had children out of wedlock, given the Catholic church's stance on these issues too. Once again proving that Catholicism is the ultimate cafeteria religion filled with hypocrits. And to think he fawns all over her and she's not even Catholic.

"Revealed: Kentucky clerk refusing to issue gay marriage licenses has been married FOUR times and gave birth to twins out of wedlock"
www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   

I would disagree there, I think they disagree with this particular pope but like the general idea of a pope.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join