It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: Migrants and Refugees

page: 1

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Oliver takes us through Europe and their attitude towards migrants and refugees. Now it's obvious reading threads and watching the news the refugees have been getting nothing but a bad wrap but John sheds light on the reality of allowing these refugees in, which is economic growth and aiding Europe's lacking birth rates. He also talks about how legally applying to a European nation is a complete nightmare because of the wait time. So while they wait they are not allowed to work. Some wait times are months while others are years. Ironically, the only nation welcoming the refugees with open arms is Germany, whose been getting some press lately. But if you take anything away from this clip let it be the shows tribute to a disable Syrian girl who fled on a rubber dingy in a wheelchair who only has a positive attitude and taught herself English watching her favorite TV show, Days of our lives.

Watch for laughs, watch for feels, watch for education.
edit on 29-9-2015 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

May our Lady of Perpetual Exemption be with us in these times of massmedia-terror and lobbyist peril!

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 09:19 PM
link   

That last bit was great.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

And the first part was pretty informative, except for the one in which he cheered for Germany.

Germany introduced border controls on Sunday, and dramatically halted all train traffic with Austria, after the country’s regions said they could no longer cope with the overwhelming number of refugees entering the country.

Interior minister, Thomas de Maizière, announced the measures after German officials said record numbers of refugees, most of them from Syria, had stretched the system to breaking point. “This step has become necessary,” he told a press conference in Berlin, adding it would cause disruption.

Asylum seekers must understand “they cannot choose the states where they are seeking protection,” he told reporters.

www.theguardian.com...

Which means they have to stay in the first EU-country they run into. Pretty wicked laws over here. Yep. I can imagine some issues getting to Germany first then. Maybe those refugees ought to use catapults, parachutes and planes only.

Ladies and Gentlemen,
I'm Not Sure and this is your Idiocracy.

Have a nice Brawndo!

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Bro, don't you that every one is under SIEGE over there?!

Gosh stop trying to act like they are not all terrorist coming to take over the west and impose sharia law.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

They will impose their wills and Europe will bow down to the almighty SHARIA LAWWWWW!!! RABBLE! RABBLE!! RABBLEE!!!!

Running from Syria is all apart of those pesky Muslim's plan!!

RABBLE!!

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: PublicOpinion

All the more reason for those European countries to assist these refugees but judging by their attitudes I wouldn't expect to happen anytime soon.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 10:26 PM
link   

And they should apply some pressure to solve the mess from Africa to the Middle East, yesterday preferably.

No. Let's better run in circles and crap into some new pants, safety first. Souleater Fear Inc. says we need to send out some good signals to "the markets" right now, the stink might actually help. And a new set of new pants of course...

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Great video, the last part was priceless. I hope that girl gets to see it.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I like how he devotes a whopping 30 seconds to the negative side of the migrant crisis, while mocking it at the same time.

Maybe he hasn't heard of the german woman who was evicted to make way for migrants

I like how he forgot to mention that german girls are being told to cover up to accomodate Muslim beliefs, despite the fact that germany has so graciously accommodated them by allowing them their the first place.

I like how he also completely skipped over Sweden's Current Rape Crisis, which has seen the rape rate increase 1400% in a single generation. Though this isn't completely related to the current crisis, it exemplifies the cost of bringing in unmanageable numbers of non-immigrants to a Western Country. This happened in Sweden, it's not a stretch to imagine it could happen in Europe, hell, by some accounts it has already started.

I also don't understand his complete brushing aside of ISIS's claim that they have smuggled in fighters. I guess just because we haven't caught them yet means we should just completely ignore the problem until they strike. That is one of the most asinine lines of reasoning I have heard in recent memory. It's hard enough to establish identity of these 'refugees' for security purposes, and it has been proven that acquiring a Syrian identity is ridiculously easy. But, again, John Oliver advocates for expediting the process? Even if this wasn't common place, even if only one in a thousand 'refugees' is an extremist, that number climbs into the hundreds easily. 2 men committed the Charlie Hebdo Massacre. Less than a dozen the Madrid train bombings, Less than 10 did the London bombings (if memory serves for all of these). 500 is nothing to sneeze at. I don't know about you, but I would rather take ISIS's word on it in this case than put hundreds, if not thousands of Europeans at risk for the sake of political correctness.

I won't even address his segment on population, that is a whole other can of worms.

John Oliver is funny and that is the only reason I watch him, but he runs a comedy show. Sorry bud, just because you have a large audience and British accent doesn't make your quite obvious hard left slant talking points the word of god. Giving a mocking 30 seconds to counter arguments impartial does not make you.
edit on 30-9-2015 by chuck258 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Yep. Like PublicOpinion said, the most amazing part of that entire thread was how strongly it illustrated the power of persuasion that the media has and how those who want or need their existing biases enforced flock and bow to it.

For every negative story there are probably dozens of positive, like how the Germans, before they were overrun, opened their country and their hearts to the displaced and how they donated things and support. I'm just glad the world wasn't that ugly a place when my family and millions of others were displaced after WWII.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Something that rolls around my heard though is the fact that we are focussed on refugees today but we have forgotten the Palestinian people who were thrust out of their homes and are still living away from home.

We could do away with the problems of genuine refugees simply by using our extensive and expensive Diplomatic Embassies to initially make enquiries and vet immigrants before they get to try to gatecrash their way into other countries. These places are where their first application should be made because its easier to check out exactly who is who, criminal records in the country they actually reside in and their qualifications.

Its decidedly easier to increase their staff and deal with people far quicker so they can have the right to enter a country after this process has been completed. It would be a lot cheaper for governments in the end also.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Monkey Diary day 18.

"it has been some time since the hoard swept across Europe but it didn't take long for them to swarm across the UK, I have barricaded myself and my family inside our home and have enough food and water for another 2 months. The swarm is outside all shouting about the lobster dude in star wars (admiral ackbar or something) and I have seen them take our jobs and take all the free stuff the government hoards. I fear one may move in next door and it is obvious from reading ATS that they are ISIS so I will have to sort them out also."
"If I never post again the hoard has gotten me and probably thrown me off a bridge for not being like them".
BMxx

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

Oliver takes us through Europe and their attitude towards migrants and refugees.

Meanwhile none of the hypocrites are offering their neighborhoods or their homes. Liberals are very giving of other people's money and land.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

They will impose their wills and Europe will bow down to the almighty SHARIA LAWWWWW!!! RABBLE! RABBLE!! RABBLEE!!!!

Running from Syria is all apart of those pesky Muslim's plan!!

RABBLE!!

Its interesting to me how you have all the respect and an open mind for the people you know nothing about, yet nothing but contempt and hate for those that you think should be giving everything.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   

I'm sitting here alone - and I actually clapped at the end of that :-)

As for the rest of it - nothing much to say

You get to a certain point in your life and you think - even though there's so much wrong with the world even still - that some things would never be repeated - that people change

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: TheBulk

Meanwhile... the hypocrites tell me to offer my flat to refugees while I'm managing the security of the turkish airspace. My question now would be, if there is nothing left states are supposed to do on their "own"... why exactly do we need all that bureaucracy again? So that those folks can log into sites like ATS and tell us, it was never their job in the first place I guess.

Idiocracy is pretty remarkable at times, quite lovely indeed!

top topics

join