It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plans for a massive ‘floating city’ begin to take shape (Pics and Videos)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   
This is super exciting! French architect Jacques Rougerie is building a small ocean city aimed towards scientific research. Essentially quality living space and continuous on-site research for scientists to get closer to the ocean like never before.

Jacques Rougerie has been able to spec out a massive floating city capable of housing some 7000 “ocean scientists,” and yet still hold the strict tolerances of the manta form factor. That, he says, provides the “best possible correlation between space and stability needs.” Practically speaking, that translates into the ability to resist turbulence and severe weather. Rougerie’s City of Mériens would be 900 meters long and 500 wide, while extending to 120 below the surface, and rising to 60 above.

Source

The plan mentioned above is a future projection of what his idea will become. However, the prototype is in the works NOW and is said to be completed NEXT YEAR!

Here's some more information on the prototype:

The best thing is that the prototype is only $50 million to build, which if you look at other ships, like private yachts, and what have you, is actually quite reasonable for what it is and can do.

Anyway, I found it interesting and thought I should share with all you ATS members out there
edit on 29/9/15 by Ghost147 because: Fixed youtube video

edit on 29/9/15 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

This would be very cool if they can do it. 50 million though sounds a bit too low. I can see unforseen costs bringing this way up.

How will they keep it clean, do maintenance on it? Scrape the undersides after being out in the ocean for a few weeks? I can just imagine all that barnacle buildup etc.

Cool idea overall and would be fun to take a ride on it.

Could also observe more of the sea life for longer periods of time.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

They should mimic giant icebergs, they're resistant to everything, except melting.

Does the manta shape resist rogue waves? Tsunamis?

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Pimp my Oil Rig..?

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: LOLZebra

It would neat if this actually promotes the growth of habitats on the underside. An ocean science station/city with it's own ocean ecosystem growing under it.
That would restrict it's travelling options though.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 09:06 PM
link   
electrrifying the hull on the bottom could keep barnacles off of it.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I think they would be better having all the accommodation above water rather than submerged. I could just imagine a seniority system building up over getting a skyside office/bunk as opposed to underwater or maybe the other way round if it were too sunny.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

i'm not so certain that would occur on a scientific research boat

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Sealab2021...

I'm helping...I'm helping youuu!

Looking good.

edit on 30-9-2015 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I find these so very cool. I see it as the beginning of habitable craft for varying environments, like air, water, and even space. Can't wait to see where these are at in a few decades.

I have doubts about the price tag though..

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   
This is amazing news. Maybe we can make some permanent ones, that would be cool for retirement communities. No more senior drivers!

new topics

top topics

join