It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Pope Just Handed Kim Davis A Huge Win

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Here's a hot one from Pope Francis himself !!

He says it's OK for somebody to ignore your duty by not issuing marriage licenses if it violates your conscience.

This throws more controversy into the ongoing issues about religion and government.

More to the whole story ..... something about being a " conscientious objector ".

Maybe there's more to the "reasonable accommodation" thing?

The Pope seems to be gaining popularity lately I see.

Pope Francis said on Monday government officials have a "human right" to refuse to discharge a duty, such as issuing marriage licenses to homosexuals, if they feel it violates their conscience.

Speaking to reporters as he returned home from a 10-day trip to the United States and Cuba, Francis also repeated his condemnation of priests who had sexually abused children, saying the victims had been "crushed by evil."

Although the Argentine-born pontiff delved into some of the United States' thorniest political debates during his visit, he never specifically referred to a controversy over same-sex marriages, which the Church firmly opposes.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   

+10 more 
posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Fortunately for me I follow the Constitution and not Il Papa.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Those appear to be strong, deliberate words he used: conscientious objector. He must be stirring the societal pot looking for glory. He appears to agree that Kim Davis is in a war and she can choose not to participate in it. I highly dislike this Pope. He seems to know not where he stands. But what can you really expect form someone that actually believes he is Vicar of Christ?

+5 more 
link   
But Jesus said to follow the laws of the land. Hmmmm And conservatives hate the pope. Very confusing. An American conservative being excited because the pope said something.

+5 more 
link   
What ever happened to "Your rights end where mine begin"? "As long as your rights do not infringe on the rights of others." Oh, and this little gem: The First Amendment (Amendment I) to the United States Constitution prohibits the making of any law respecting an establishment of religion, impeding the free exercise of religion, abridging the freedom of speech, infringing on the freedom of the press, interfering with the right to peaceably assemble or prohibiting the petitioning for a governmental redress of grievances.

In my humble opinion, Kim violated that amendment when she started shoving her religion down the throats of others.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Skada

But she didn't. She just refused to participate.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skada
What ever happened to "Your rights end where mine begin"? "As long as your rights do not infringe on the rights of others." Oh, and this little gem: The First Amendment (Amendment I) to the United States Constitution prohibits the making of any law respecting an establishment of religion, impeding the free exercise of religion, abridging the freedom of speech, infringing on the freedom of the press, interfering with the right to peaceably assemble or prohibiting the petitioning for a governmental redress of grievances.

In my humble opinion, Kim violated that amendment when she started shoving her religion down the throats of others.

I agree also. So just take what the pope says with a grain of salt. Be it climate change, gay marriage, economics. Because he's going to be coming from a religious perspective, not a secular one.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   

The pope is purposely being vague by giving generic advice of follow your conscience. By doing this, he isn't picking sides on the issue, which he is aware of since he used marriage licenses as an example.

I like the advice of follow your conscience. But Kim Davis isn't following her conscience. Following her conscience would mean working out a compromise, not throwing a tantrum because your job pays well. A compromise would be to switch positions or resign as the laws change.

I believe in the military if a servicemember converts to a religion that abhors killing or become a conscientious objector they are offered to: do their job, get out of the military, or try to retrain to another field that isn't tied to killing - such as medical.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: IridiumFlareMadness

I am quite certain that she is using her religion as a shield and a sword. As well as going against the constitution that she holds so dear, and the book of which she inflicts her judgment up on others. I am sure her god said to "Judge Not Lest Ye Be Judged."
Of course, the couples that were getting there marr certs could have gone elsewhere.

hmmm, now that I am thinking about this sideshow, I am wondering what is really going on. What are the major news that are being covered up?

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: IridiumFlareMadness

But she didn't. She just refused to participate.

She refused to carry out the job she was hired for. She works for and represents the government. In her case her religion stays at the door. I don't understand why this concept seems hard for people to grasp. Its funny, if SCOTUS had of ruled in the favour of the Religious, they would be falling over themselves praising the SCOTUS. Once again proving themselves to be the biggest Hippocrates walking the planet. They lost, it's legal. They need to get over it. No where in the bible does it say Jesus said no gay marriage licences. He did talk a lot about divorce though she I find this whole Kym situation a bit rich. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone and all that.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   

impeding the free exercise of religion,

That part should have been highlighted.

Davis didn't violate it.

Kinda like it is perfectly legal for a solider to refuse to obey an order when they disagree with it.
edit on 28-9-2015 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Fortunately for me I follow the Constitution and not Il Papa.

Most Germans followed naziism, but there was a few that stood by their own beliefs and stood there ground regardless of persecution.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: muSSang
Most Germans followed naziism, but there was a few that stood by their own beliefs and stood there ground regardless of persecution.

Who is being persecuted? Saint Kimmy?

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Well its a good thing religions matter not to our government positions. The Pope can say whatever he'd like but it has no bearing on our laws or oaths. She is free as all citizens are to practice the religion of their choosing and also free to adhear to its practices...there are many many jobs out there that won't require her to go against those religious principals... So she needs to step down and find one or shut up and get to issuing. Besides if the Pope was honest he doesn't nor does his organization adhear to Christianity that well either...I mean be it priests that abuse children or secrets they have locked away in their vaults...there are many things they do at the Vatican that aren't very Christian or rather Christ like...

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Kim refusing to issue marriage licenses is kind of like a cashier at McDonald's refusing to sell you a Big Mac because she is a vegetarian. That's her job. If she refuses to do it as a matter of conscience, then she needs to quit or be fired.
edit on 9/28/2015 by schuyler because: spelling

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

Kim refusing to issue marriage licenses is kind of like a cashier at McDonald's refusing to sell you a Big Mac because she is a vegetarian. That's her job. If she refuses to do it as a matter of conscience, then she needs to quit or be fired.

It is even worse since Saint Kimmy is the government and they have a monopoly on the whole marriage license-issuing piece of the puzzle.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Oh such a liar

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hyperia
Oh such a liar

How so?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>