It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

*BREAKING* Mars 'major science finding' to be announced by NASA 11:30AM ET TODAY

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 09:15 AM
link   
www.cbc.ca...

NASA says it will detail a "major science finding" about Mars today that solves a mystery about the Red Planet.

The findings will be released in a paper that will be published in the journal Nature Geoscience at 11 a.m. ET and is embargoed until then. CBC News will provide details at that time.

NASA will provide more information at a news conference that will be streamed live on CBC News starting at 11:30 a.m. ET.

Participants in the news conference will include three scientists who co-authored the new paper, along with NASA staff from the space agency's planetary science and Mars Exploration Program

I wonder what this finding is? Could it be ice crystals with micro organisms? Could it be another newly discovered organic matter?

What could it be? Any thoughts? This has me curious!!

NASA's news release about the upcoming 'major science finding' was accompanied by this image of a region of Mars called Terra Meridiani

WATCH NASA LIVE BROADCAST HERE

WATCH LIVE ON CTV NEWS CHANNEL HERE

Prequel News story leading to this mysterious unveiling by NASA:
www.telegraph.co.uk...

Scientists have long known that there is frozen water at the poles of Mars, but have yet to find it in liquid form.

Any such discovery would raise the chances of life being able to be sustained on the Red Planet, as all life on Earth requires water.
Mr Ojha’s initial discovery involved using computer editing to review images of a crater on Mars, which had gullies that were thought to be remnants of historical water activity on the planet.

As part of the work he by 'accident' discovered changes in the appearance of the slope of the crater, with “finger-like” features that scientists said could be liquid, briny water....

...In December it discovered 'burps' of methane, which Nasa scientists said could indicate “life or evidence of ancient methane trapped which could show ancient life”....

edit on 28-9-2015 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-9-2015 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Skywatcher2011

The rovers they sent on mars are not designed to detect microbial life. My guess is that they will announce the presence of water, maybe nitrogen and other compounds involved in organic life chemistry.

I am guessing they will announce that Mars could sustain (or have sustained) life.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Multiple threads on this topic with the one listed below being the only active one anymore..

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   

I am pretty anxious about what it is also. I just really hope that it's not another big let-down by NASA.........

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

The thread you mention lacks information provided by OP Skywatcher2011 - namely, that the information is related to "a region of Mars called Terra Meridiani".

Since this Terra Meridani is part of the OP, it can be a valid discussion point - and by this point the OP differs from the thread you mentioned.

edit on 28-9-2015 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Pretty sure they'll announce frozen water exists there.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   
There should be consequences for people who rush to start a thread without even lifting their finger to look for an existing one of the subject. My god...there was an existing "Mars Announcement" thread immediately below this one when it magically appeared. Hopefully the forum moderators have discipline measures in place to deal with shoddy posters. ;-)

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I understood that a thread was made on this subject matter about 11 days ago but felt it was good to have a fresh start on it as updates and fresh evidence often get lost in OP threads.

I didn't mean to tread on anyone's toes by doing so...however, my hope is that ATS members get the facts on a fresher page without having to sift through multiple pages of opinions before getting down and dirty to the real mystery being solved

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: swanne

Thank you for your objectivity on my thread. I am glad you noticed my add on for the area on Mars that is under observation.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Actually the OP here presents new information, information which was not present in this other thread.

I for one would welcome a fresh new thread on the topic, and the new information the OP has provided.

I for one most welcome updated original posting on a topic.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I really hope it's not about water...I mean that's great and all but still it would definitely would be lack luster..but since it's a big announcement it might be something more,we can hope right?

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 09:39 AM
link   

And now, to discuss the point you raised in your OP: in your opinion, is this Terra Meridiani a simple place-holding picture which was put in the article for nothing more than its good looks, or is Terra Meridiani indeed the site of the "major" discovery?

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   
They're probably trying to find some redneck on Mars that has a four wheel drive pick-up. Seems the rover has got stuck in about three feet of water and mud. The locals there couldn't push it out - but they did keep the solar panels clean!

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   

What could it be? Any thoughts?

The rover took pictures from mars towards earth and discovered rocks.

I'm leaning towards some discovery about water.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: swanne

And now, to discuss the point you raised in your OP: in your opinion, is this Terra Meridiani a simple place-holding picture which was put in the article for nothing more than its good looks, or is Terra Meridiani indeed the site of the "major" discovery?

AS far as I know only the poles were researched mostly for the purpose of finding ice...this just happens to be around the belly of the planet...not where you would expect to find ice...but liquid H2O.

Please note in my thread I have added LIVE Links for viewers to watch as well so that we know where to go for this viewing. Thanks!

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure this has to do with evidence of briny water seeping out of dunes on Mars, or it could be something else.

If it is the water, than it also implies that life could exist right now on the surface of the planet.

edit on V20150228September02Mon, 28 Sep 2015 10:02:25 -0500America/Chicago by VoidFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   
From the bottom scroll on my TV. It says NASA is going to announce the discovery of water on Mars. I'm watching Good Morning America.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   
My guess:

They cancel the announcement at the last minute. Just to freak people like us out.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 09:51 AM
link   
maybe they 'discovered' an advanced alien civilization and want us to know about it, you know just fyi

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: galaga
From the bottom scroll on my TV. It says NASA is going to announce the discovery of water on Mars. I'm watching Good Morning America.

Ha! Seems I am right! Well, so are all those of us who think it's a water announcement.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join