It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Quick and the Dead (1995) and the western genre

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: peppycat
I don't know why it only got two stars. It's a good movie. I like it a lot.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark I like it too but would have liked to see a little more of a hateful edge in the Ellen character towards Herod, played by Gene Hackman. The ending was pretty cool as far as justice being served.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: valiant I watched Django Unchained a few months back and feel it would have been perfect except for I think Django went a little too far in his act pertaining to the dog scene. I'm trying not to be to cryptic as I don't believe in spoiling any scene for someone who has yet to see it.
I never think I'm gonna like a western but, as so many have posted in this thread alot that look pretty good, they are nice to chill and rest a bit to.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   

That scene was brutal, I know what you mean though, not for everyone! Honestly, I only watched that movie because I was bored, so bloody glad I was, because it was a hell of a movie that I probably wasn't gonna watch otherwise.

I may take some recommendations from this thread, Movies are a big hobby of mine, especially horror/supernatural/fantasy/sci fi/superhero ... Guess I can give Westerns a bit of attention

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   
If you liked that you should try to find a movie called A Gunfight, starring Johnny Cash. It's about a retired gunfighter that comes to a town and is talked into one last gunfight. I liked it.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   
High Noon.

Rio Lobo.

All of Sergio Leone's spaghetti westerns.

There are dozens of others that are all worthy of attention. It really is a shame that as a genre the western is mostly gone.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull I looked into Sergio Leone's work and see he directed and co-wrote The Good, The Bad and Ugly. I really liked that one, thanks for pointing him out. There should be a t.v. channel for Westerns only.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark Johnny Cash in a western should definitely be something to kick back and unwind to. I'm hoping you tube has most of these movies everybody is recommending. Thank you!

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: peppycat
There should be a t.v. channel for Westerns only.

There is. Encore has a Western channel.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus Is that cable? I think my bf has Encore. I'll have to check it out. Thanks

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   

One season is all there is plus the movie Serenity that finishes the story.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   
You're in luck. Here you go:

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark Cool! right on Skid Mark, it's the perfect day for this movie.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheSpanishArcher

Also, what westerns do folks recommend?

Does Firefly count as a western? Ok, it's also sci-fi, but it's still a western at heart.

THAT is the question. It was interesting and confusing. As a Nathan fan though I hung in there. It's.....OK.

When it comes to westerns it's, "What do you want?" Eastwood's are always good. Especially if he's directing. See Outlaw Josey Wales. John Wayne's are what you would consider "pulp". Fun. LOVED Rio Bravo. True Grit(loved the remake too), Chisum, The Shootist, hell, you can go on for days with Marion. Comedy? Blazing Saddles. My Mum loved one called Texas Across the River. She actually wet herself laughing.

There are so damn many. I thought Dances With Wolves was awesome. Too damn many. Love westerns.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   
And if you're looking for gunfights no one is better than Clint. Sorry Morrison fans:

Or:

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   
If you younger ones haven't seen it, this has amazing acting, amazing actors:

www.imdb.com...

I'd put Charles Bronson against any tough guy today.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Yes it is. Let me know how you liked it.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Outstanding casting in that one! Henry Fonda as a villain was brilliant.

I'm partial to anything from Leone, like The Good, the Bad, and The Ugly.

This is why Red Dead Redemption is one of my favorite video games. It is exactly what Leone would create if he were to make a game.

I also have to throw some props to both True Grits (the original and the remake) because they're great movies and I've been told I look like Jeff Bridges' version of Rooster Cogburn.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   

No idea what others are suggesting...I do REALLY love The Quick and The Dead... Leonardo DiCaprio ROCKED in that film...as did Russel Crowe...

But...My FAVORITE western of ALL time...is Tombstone!!!!

Hands down...

My two favorite scenes? When Kurt Russel pistol whips someone without as much as batting an eyelash...and when Doc Holiday (Val Kilmer FTW!!!) mimics his nemesis' handling of a gun with a collapsable drinking cup!!!

Think I'm kidding? Google it..I'm sure there's youtube of it!!!

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: nullafides

I preferred Wyatt Earp. Not Costner but Quaid. He actually made me think he was dying. Don't get me wrong, I loved Val in Tombstone, I just think this is better:

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join