It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3D Computer Chips Could Be 1,000 Times Faster Than Existing Ones

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 04:26 AM
link   
With computer chips growing in ability its just a matter of time until we get super computers the sizes of cell phones!

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 06:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord
With computer chips growing in ability its just a matter of time until we get super computers the sizes of cell phones!

IBM's 1997 Deep Blue supercomputer is slower than a Galaxy S5.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

It's true, but in reality it was just a couple of full cabs. Super-computers today are a whole warehouse.

Something that I find amazing is the estimated 7-8 teraflops needed to simulate the original Toy Story in real time on today's gaming rigs. That was 1994, and it took nearly half a year to render that film on a renderfarm! A Titan X overclocking can hit 7 teraflops, but will set you back $1k for the video card alone.
edit on 27-10-2015 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord

IBM's 1997 Deep Blue supercomputer is slower than a Galaxy S5.

So we should just rub pur hands together and wait for the real good stuff to start comming out!

I am thinking eventually we will just have materials made of billions microscopic devices that are able to perform all kinds of complex tasks, like cell phones and drones. . . .

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: yosako

originally posted by: pl3bscheese
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

3d nand has been used for SSD for a few years now.

I'm not sure what the article is getting at, but it seems using 3d nand as an l3 cache is a possibility?

Oh I see now they will use a micro modular design instead of separating the memory to a designated separate space. Decreases latency and space with the 3d stacking design. Sounds pretty cool.

NAND flash never should be used as a cache because of limited write cycles.

www.anandtech.com...

The above table gives a good summary of how durable the 850 Pro really is. Even if you write 100GiB (GB in Windows is really GiB, i.e. 1024^3 bytes) per day with a write amplification of three, the smallest 128GB model will last for over seven years.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 08:56 AM
link   
..goodbye 128/256 bit aes encryption, or other ones....can you imagine this?
This will be fatal.
I can bet, that most of you, ATS users have no idea how fatal it will be.
Look, such tech will change whole privacy.
You think, that they allow you to make 1024bit encryption?
Nope. We will be naked for ANYONE that are able to buy such tech.
Goodbye, safe banking...

edit on 27-10-2015 by xoenneox because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: xoenneox

Huh? Encryption will always progress. Who would not allow higher encryption bits? You realize these can be made without permission, right?

2,048bit encryption is the standard as of a few years ago.

edit on 27-10-2015 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 01:51 AM
link   
a reply to: flice

That's actually not that much. 100GB back and forth a day in a cache can happen very quickly in a shared storage appliance.

At work we have 40 people working on ~150 cores of Xeon servers (we need far more), some of them doing our big modeling projects pump through 100 GB per day each running through the datasets a few times.

It's fine for most home use.

edit on 28-10-2015 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-10-2015 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I think the technology will continue to improve and get smaller over time as well.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join