It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking: “The laws of science are sufficient, we don't need God."

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   

a reply to:Isurrender73

So my question to Mr. Hawking is why is he here? If he has no purpose other than chaos then why should I believe anything he says? Since anything he says that cannot be proven scientifically is coming from the mouth of chaos.

I prefer to speak from the side of the Devine to keep myself protected from chaos.

originally posted by: danielsil18
What???

Why is Mr. Hawking alive? He can explain How he got here but why is be here?

If a man says that life comes from Chaos he can present no Why that we are here other than random chaos.

Do you think it's wise to follow the voice of one who admits he is chaotic as to why he is here?

I prefer to follow the minds who proclaimed that their is indeed a why, and that the why is devine love and virtuous living.
edit on 26-9-2015 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Isurrender73

Can you explain why you are here?

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 08:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: bluemooone2
Perfect serendipity! I made this just a few hours ago to toss on facebook. (very bored I am) It sums this thread up well I think.

I have the answer. Obviously we can all see the elephant. It's right there in your picture hanging from that rope. It got there because at the other end of that rope, which none of us can see or know where it goes, is God. That is God's version of a Yo Yo. God ties an Elephant to one end and what you see is the full extension of the Yo Yo with the Elephant attached.

See I answered it perfectly. Do I have evidence for my "God's Yo Yo" theory, no. But neither is there evidence showing that it isn't so.

(Do I need to point out I'm being sarcastic??? I'll let you decide.)
edit on 26-9-2015 by mOjOm because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

That is God's version of a Yo Yo. God ties an Elephant to one end and what you see is the full extension of the Yo Yo with the Elephant attached.

What a ridiculous "theory".

Its obviously aliens who trapped the elephant.

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   

God created my spirit and placed it in a body for me to learn. According to the scriptures, which I believe, we came to learn about Love and Reason. Because God is Love and Reason.

I am here to learn about Love and Reason so when I return to him I will be seen as an educated child. Free from the ignorance of selfishness, arrogance and greed.

Why are you here?

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Isurrender73

God created my spirit and placed it in a body for me to learn. According to the scriptures, which I believe, we came to learn about Love and Reason. Because God is Love and Reason.

I am here to learn about Love and Reason so when I return to him I will be seen as an educated child. Free from the ignorance of selfishness, arrogance and greed.

Why are you here?

You explained your belief, not why you are here.

I can make up stuff too and say that im here to spy on humans so my alien race can conquer you all.

But at the end the wise thing to say is that we dont know the reason why we are here, and that's IF there is actually a "why".

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   

To be more clear I am implying God IS the elephant in the room. I do like your theory though!

edit on 26-9-2015 by bluemooone2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Note to Stephen You are in dire need of GOD.

But after years of waiting I can see how he is bitter.

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 08:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: bluemooone2

To be more clear I am implying God IS the elephant in the room. I do like your theory though!

Ah. But we can all see the elephant.

Who, BTW, doesn't seem to be enjoying his current position in life either.

edit on 26-9-2015 by mOjOm because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   

You really may have a point there LOL

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Frocharocha

Doesn't science require a higher power to exist? Science just woke up one day? I think one can not exist without the other. In order to understand a greater power exist, there must be science to explain it.

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: soulpowertothendegree

Doesn't science require a higher power to exist?

Only if you think the existence of the human mind does.
I don't happen to think so.

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: soulpowertothendegree

Doesn't science require a higher power to exist? Science just woke up one day? I think one can not exist without the other. In order to understand a greater power exist, there must be science to explain it.

I think you'd have to first define what you mean by "Higher Power".

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Frocharocha

I respect Hawking as being one of brightest and most beautiful minds of our time.

But this, however...is the utter zenith of hubris.

I have said it time and time again in my posts here, I am not a religious man. Nor am I a scientist. However, I do feel that to say one thing eclipses the other is not only immature, it is irrational.

It is immature to think that science alone can answer all of our questions. Hawking states that God need not be invoked in contemplating the creation of the universe.

Fine.

Create a new universe with said laws.

The very fact that we cannot means that we truly do not know. Just as much as we truly do not know if God (or a god or gods..or evil girl scouts for that matter) created the universe.

This is the crux of the problem I have with most people. I cannot begin to relate to Believers.

Mind you, I am not saying science cannot explain things. Nor am I saying god does not exist.

What I am saying is....

We do NOT know.

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 10:52 PM
link   
a reply to: nullafides

It is immature to think that science alone can answer all of our questions.
He doesn't seem to have said that.

Hawking states that God need not be invoked in contemplating the creation of the universe.
He doesn't seem to have said that. What he said was that physical laws can explain it.

We do NOT know.
Hawking didn't say we do.

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 11:30 PM
link   
a reply to: danielsil18

I will continue to believe in Love as the Reason why, and you can continue in confusion.

I have a path laid out for me, while you will continue to wander through the complexity of life without a Reason why.

It's my opinion that to have a purpose and reason is more comfort to the soul than to choose chaos as a friend.

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 11:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Isurrender73
a reply to: danielsil18

I will continue to believe in Love as the Reason why, and you can continue in confusion.

I have a path laid out for me, while you will continue to wander through the complexity of life without a Reason why.

It's my opinion that to have a purpose and reason is more comfort to the soul than to choose chaos as a friend.

Hey...

If it keeps you warm at night....

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 12:01 AM
link   

However some opinions are more informed than others.

You are saying he is more educated on whether God is real or not? I think the more we look around the universe the more we realize how special our little blue planet is. I'm not sure Hawking or anyone else has a clue as to what is going on when it comes to God - that is just human ego and hubris.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 12:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Variable

I'm not sure Hawking or anyone else has a clue as to what is going on when it comes to God - that is just human ego and hubris.

You mean like creating God?
Because we don't know how it all works?

edit on 9/27/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 12:25 AM
link   
a reply to: JuJuBee

Q: What is "science"?

If that isn't rhetorical then I suggest looking up the definition.

Just because someone has a high IQ doesn't mean they're "smart".

Maybe, but when was the last time someone with a low IQ was considered smart?

In keeping with the thread Hawking has a high IQ and is definitely smart.

People, back 2,000 years ago, knew more about the universe, than most of today's civilization.

We disagree there. Back then most people thought the sun revolved around the earth and according to a fairly recent poll about 25% of the American public still believes that, but that is still progress as sad as it may be.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join