It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why have you allowed it to change so much?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: n00bUK

You and me joined ATS on the same day and for the same reasons. I'd seen a UFO that led me to looking for any other people who might have seen the same thing. It eventually caused me to sign up to ask about a video I'd stumbled upon.

Isn't that a cool coincidence? I've never noticed before

Like you, I miss a lot of the regulars from that time and it used to feel exciting to follow those long threads about NASA STS missions and classic UFO cases. But of course, a lot of that is called nostalgia and we're older now and less likely to get emotionally involved in the same kind of threads we used to.

SkepticO is right about ATS being all user-generated content. It's like ATS is a building where people meet. We're like a pub or a bar that stands for years and the customer conversations and jukebox music changes with the times. Just like regulars in any bar in the world, we're gonna look back and say it was better in the past.

I reckon the thing we're really missing is our younger selves and the enthusiasm we felt back then.

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   
The more hits ats gets probably means more money for the site, im sure its not cheap to have ats online 24/7.

What sells in the media is mass produced outrage, thats what ats has turned into.

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I think SkepticOverlord is right... Partly...

I think I'm probably a reasonable case study here. As a young teenager I loved the UFO concept. Read all the books the library had on them, would stay up late into the night staring at the sky truely believing that I would see one for myself.

Something a little more substantial than a light...

Then along came the internet...

I was still always keen for my chance to be abducted, but as I grew older I started putting more important things first like life and my kids. Also, as you get old you start getting more wisdom and think more about the bigger picture.

And with that wisdom and countless threads on the internet I started to realise that my boyhood dreams and those stories I read as a kid were more than likely 99.9% bull-tish. Top quality debunking educated me. The mind blowing scale of the universe and the difficulties in travel make the chances of them ever turning up so very remote.

So slowly that eager kid put reality in the place of where once stood an eternal hope of otherworldly visitors, an replaced it with an even sadder reality of a divided world beyond repair.

I'd suggest this kind of feeling has happened to many of us over the last 10-15 years, and thus we expect to see a change in topical diection as shown on ATS. BTW, there are so many great members lost over the years let's all raise a glass to them and be glad they brought great content before they put their foots in it. ;-)
edit on 26-9-2015 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   
UFOs are interesting, but these days, it's so easy for anyone to fake it with the plethora of editing and video design software out there.

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   
When I look at places like Reddit posts where people ask for the "go to place" for valuable UFO discussion, ATS is still listed number one to go to for thorough dissection of UFO events.

Its not ATS' fault that pretty much everything since Chicago has been hoaxed.

Current events and political commentary is far more active here now on ATS, but that is what the membership are doing, not the staff. I find that I use my favorite topics in MY ATS page and I cull some of the noise I don't want to see.

(post by AnteBellum removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: FearYourMind
a reply to: VP740

I've seen a large orb silently floating over my house. I went and bought a nice camera to capture it at night. My wife and daughter saw it a couple years later and it scared my daughter so much she wouldn't go outside at night for weeks. Then, last week my neighbors were over hanging out and saw 6 of them. One of their kids was yelling "Get your guns!" These things are large and low in the sky. I could throw a rock at them. I've given up on the subject. I know what I know and really don't care what others think.

Im interested to know what people think these ORBS are . How big are they . What do they look like ? etc One year I was sitting at the beach looking out at the sea and then my eyes focus in on a moving object . Was it an insect as I looked it came in closer and OMG it was a small orb just coming in to have a peek .

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 05:54 AM
link   
I basically agree with everything you have said OP.

I think there are a few problems contributing to this.

Firstly I have always thought ATS could no more to reward members who take the time to write well researched original threads. I think a very good idea would be to have a "moderators picks forum" but its never happened despite it being suggested multiple times.

Another big problem is with in the T&C's, 15a relating to offensive content does not actually specify Racism or homophobia as grounds for termination of a account. I saw someone the other day joking about the dead in Mecca saying "Karma is a bitch". Now in my mind, that should lead to automatic post ban, there should be zero tolerance towards comments like this and they will soon stop.

This place is being over run with extreme right-wing political nuts.

I honestly think the owners have their heads in the sand when it comes to the extent of the problem because to do something about it would require real radical change beyond a quick announcement about stricter enforcement of T&C's.

I really have contemplated just leaving ATS but I feel i have invested so much time into this community that i cannot leave but then I look around this corner of the web and i realise that the community I joined up-to a few years ago is slowly disappearing.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 06:45 AM
link   
I
edit on 27-9-2015 by Motorhead because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 07:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: n00bUK
I could never imagine posting and mingling with these great minds. I would favorite members here like Skyfloating, mikesingh, protoplasmictravelller, Arken, undo, Isaackoi, gortex, zorgon, trueamerican, theredneck, corruptionexposed and a handful more whose names I have regrettably forgotten, everyday I'd check to see if they had posted anything so I could get my fix.

These people were like...I dont know...wizards, demi gods or someshing to me.

I'm flattered to be included in your list above.

I've noticed many of the other members included in your list departing over the years (and other people I've respected come, and go, since then).

I don't think there is anything new about people leaving the UFO field after years of participation. Eventually, most of us get rather frustrated with this field. Heck, I've temporarily left several times. I regularly go through a cycle of reasonably intense periods of ufological activity, followed by a period in which I wonder why I bothered, followed by another burst of activity. One day I'll break free.

I'm bordering on another one of my periodic departures from ufology. As with some of my previously departures, I'm not entirely sure I'll be back this time.

I think it's a shame that lots of avenues of potential research within ufology haven't been seriously explored. I've been embarrassed to been praised for doing work that frankly I think is fairly basic (and done in my limited spare time, without considering ufology as important as some people claim it is to them). I'm constantly surprised to find that various simple steps don't seem to have been taken. Egos and a desire to concentrate on sensational claims seem to have got in the way of building some solid foundations for work by the wider UFO community.

In short, I understand why people get frustrated with UFO research and decide to focus on more productive (or amusing) activities.

edit on 27-9-2015 by IsaacKoi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Hey, BE the change....

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
Hey, BE the change....

Easier said than done, hence the sympathy I expressed above with the views n00bUK stated in his OP.

edit on 27-9-2015 by IsaacKoi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

You and me joined ATS on the same day and for the same reasons. I'd seen a UFO that led me to looking for any other people who might have seen the same thing. It eventually caused me to sign up to ask about a video I'd stumbled upon.

Isn't that a cool coincidence? I've never noticed before

Like you, I miss a lot of the regulars from that time and it used to feel exciting to follow those long threads about NASA STS missions and classic UFO cases. But of course, a lot of that is called nostalgia and we're older now and less likely to get emotionally involved in the same kind of threads we used to.

SkepticO is right about ATS being all user-generated content. It's like ATS is a building where people meet. We're like a pub or a bar that stands for years and the customer conversations and jukebox music changes with the times. Just like regulars in any bar in the world, we're gonna look back and say it was better in the past.

I reckon the thing we're really missing is our younger selves and the enthusiasm we felt back then.

That is pretty surreal Kadinsky, where are you from? I'm from Leeds in the UK.

I can not argue with what skeptic has said, I knew why deep down but I wanted them to change how it has become. A member mentioned that people get away with blatent racism, and that shouldnt be allowed. Yes, its not in the T&C's, but it should be. Curent affairs steer the direction of conversation here but i feel a little bit more moderation would do this site very well.

originally posted by: IsaacKoi

I'm flattered to be included in your list above.

I've noticed many of the other members included in your list departing over the years (and other people I've respected come, and go, since then).

I don't think there is anything new about people leaving the UFO field after years of participation. Eventually, most of us get rather frustrated with this field. Heck, I've temporarily left several times. I regularly go through a cycle of reasonably intense periods of ufological activity, followed by a period in which I wonder why I bothered, followed by another burst of activity. One day I'll break free.

I'm bordering on another one of my periodic departures from ufology. As with some of my previously departures, I'm not entirely sure I'll be back this time.

I think it's a shame that lots of avenues of potential research within ufology haven't been seriously explored. I've been embarrassed to been praised for doing work that frankly I think is fairly basic (and done in my limited spare time, without considering ufology as important as some people claim it is to them). I'm constantly surprised to find that various simple steps don't seem to have been taken. Egos and a desire to concentrate on sensational claims seem to have got in the way of building some solid foundations for work by the wider UFO community.

In short, I understand why people get frustrated with UFO research and decide to focus on more productive (or amusing) activities.

Isaac, you & slayer69, Hefficide and a few more are the only reason I still visit the boards. You're an absolute legend and have done allot for the UFO community on these boards. I've noticed you have stopped posting for a while, but it would be awful to not have you come back one day. As much as i disagreed with Arken, I loved that guy - he thought his stance so many times and the passion was something to admire, you are like a more serious version of him, and Arken has gone - I wouldn't like it if you left too.

Thank you everybody for replying to my thread, much appreciated.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Hi mate I think the 'racism' issue on here is something we Brits look at and wonder about because it certainly wouldn't be tolerated here in the mother of modern democracy
. But I suspect it's all to do with the rights of freedom of speech Stateside. One of our American friends would probably be better able to explain it.

We all want ATS to be better so I've added some ideas in this thread : www.abovetopsecret.com...

It's not something I've really even been able to collect all the ideas and think through in detail. So perhaps you'd like to add your thoughts (anyone else is welcome to as well).

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join