It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Appreciation Of " Slade " Our American Friends May Not Know Them.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Slade where a British Band who began as " Skinheads " turned to Glam Rock and then finally into a more matured sound.

John Lennon once said " In my opinion the greatest vocalist in rock music today is Noddy Holder "

Bands such as Nirvana, the Smashing Pumpkins, the Ramones, Sex Pistols, the Clash, Kiss, Mötley Crüe, Quiet Riot, Poison, Def Leppard, Oasis, Cheap Trick, Twisted Sister have stated they where a major influence.

So i give you a small selection of " Slade" with vocalist and guitarist Noddy Holder. Hope you like, for those who have never seen or heard of then previously.

" Get Down And Get With it " Live

"Gudbuy T'Jane"

" Far Far Away "

Includes one of my favourite lines in rock music " I've had a red light off the wrist without me even getting kissed "

" Everyday "

edit on 25-9-2015 by alldaylong because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I'm an American and heard about Slade back in the 70's.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong
And we are fast approaching that time of year when everyone sings a Slade song with half the folks not even knowing they are!!!!!! Best Xmas song ever.........and I'm a Quo fan ! Mind you 70's Slade and Quo have a similar hard/rough edge sound.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   
America learned about Slade through Quiet Riot and...

I always figured they were a huge influence on the hairband scene.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   
i worked with them a few times... dave hill is a very controlling jehovah's witness (grrr).

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: gentledissident

I always figured they were a huge influence on the hairband scene.

And maybe Noddy Holder was an influence on " Slash " with the Top Hat.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Great band , underrated I think but they have a back catalogue any band would be proud of.
Here's one of my favourite and much covered Slade classics.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   
No offence adl,but just NO.
Slade are about as rock as a 3 week old lettuce leaf IMO.

Led Zeppelin,Black Sabbath,Motorhead,Deep Purple,Pink Floyd,The Cult and some of The Prodigy-now they are decent British rock musicians.

Slade are but a poor imitation of true rock music.

Sorry,they never did it for me(a major rock fanatic).
Once again,no offence meant,and I am sure loads of folks will disagree with my humble opinion.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

Great band , underrated I think but they have a back catalogue any band would be proud of.
Here's one of my favourite and much covered Slade classics.

Great choice.

I could only put a few on here because there are so many.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

No offence adl,but just NO. Slade are about as rock as a 3 week old lettuce leaf IMO.

That's the beauty of music.

It is so subjective. Each and everyone has different taste.

Good choices of yours by the way. Can agree with all except The Prodigy

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Unfortunately Americans did not learn about Slade through Quiet Riot. I don't remember them (QR) being too vocal about two of their larger hits being covers.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I know/knew who Slade is. Most people probably know that song from this band. To be fair, they did do a decent job.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Yeah good point,music is very subjective.
Thanks for not being offended.
Check out
"always outnumbered never outgunned"
Its the prodigy's punk/hard rock album.
Got to be listened to at max volume,
Takes some getting used to,and helps if you are in a really pissed off state,but man-that is rock I kid you not..

But about Slade-when faced with a choice between a live gig of Slade or REAL rock gods-maybe guns and roses/dead kennedys/led zepp-
Would ya really choose Slade?
Its a valid question Bro.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

I've don't think the term "rock gods" and "Dead Kennedys" has ever been uttered together… like ever. i grew up on DK's and have tons of love for em, but they shouldn't be a part of this discussion (nor should The Prodigy for that matter, but that's just because they're bad).

That said, I'd take Slade over tacky late-to-the-party GnR any day. And is it's pretty unfair to put just about any band up against Zeppelin. But honestly, you can't deny the influence (and inspiration) Slade had over countless bands.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Noddy really did have a superb voice though. I was a big Slade, T Rex and then Motorhead fan in my long distant youth though must admit I wouldn't listen to them now

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Thanks so much for this thread!
I first heard this song when Quiet Riot covered it. When I heard the original Slade version I was blown away.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I know Slade quite well. Little Sheila and My Oh My are 2 of my all time favorite songs

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Never heard of Quiet Riot...are they a Gospel band?

Slade was right up there with the rock Glam Gods of the 70s.
Sweet, TRex, Middle of the Road
....They was all doin it.....

Really, if you didnt live thru the 70s, then you werent really there.... (Just like the 2015s hey Robin Willy)

There was HEEEEEEEAPs of music and genres.

The US was the worst I imagine....you had specific states and areas that had only.....R&B music, C&W music, Soul Music etc etc.

Most of the rest of the Western World had Pop, Rock, basically everything, mixed together......

In the early 70s, We could sing Black Knight, Cumon feel the Noise, Mouldy Ol Dough, Chirpa Chirpa Cheep Cheep, and How can you mend a broken Heart........all one after another and not think any different about it.

The Airwaves werent just flooded with Heavy Rock 24/7.

We had EVERY kind of music...Electronic, Rock Opera, Pop etc etc etc.

Popcorn the song, went no1!!!
Dudley Moores.....Doooooo Waddda Waddda Dada Dooooo Da Dahhhhhhhh....went no 1!!!.
We even had theme songs as hits in the 70s,
The James Bond Classics, Live and Let Die, Man with the Golden Gun, etc etc.
The Good the Bad and the Ugly theme, Loves theme, Love Story, Deliverance Banjo song went to no1.....Even Disco versions of Star Wars, and 2001 Space Odessey.

Radio music was Much more diverse than today offerings....at least in my Country (Oz)...AND we had our own music and bands as well.

Slade was right up there with the best..........and worse of the time.

Ah the 70s..........

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   
What ????? The US doesnt know Slade ? Are you kidding ? . You are kidding , right ?

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Man those clothes really suck! And that's coming from a hillbilly who doesnt care what he wears.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join