It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it just me or..?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan
I swear life is really complicated. It's getting worse and worse. None of it even makes sense. We live to die. Unless you believe in some form of afterlife which I personally do not. I would hope for one, but I just can't believe in it. I remember having such a negative attitude towards life. I wrote my thoughts on it. That everyone is the same, that we're all part of a giant, soulless machine. That there's no point, that suicide is the key, not in a depressive way mind you, I'm rather happy, but what is the meaning of life. There is none, because there is no meaning in something that is not eternal. That's my opinion of course.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit
Wait, Ireland or England? :p I can't really go out because..it'd kill some people if I just got up and left. So I can't even have that freedom to choose whether to be free or not, isn't that funny? Besides I don't have the knowledge to survive, nor a gun license. I don't mean, poaching, don't kill rare animals. Just what's necessary, I assume a deer would last a person a decent amount of time right? Oh, see I was focused on the restrictions on freedom by society and those close to us, but you went beyond to nature. Nature does restrict us, but I wouldn't say nature takes away freedom. It's simply a method of population control, one that we have partially overthrown. True even ants have a hierarchy correct? So that is very true, but you know this opens up an important question and there is no "correct" answer. Take "Brave New World", there is a hierarchy, a pecking order, but everyone is happy. So ok, they don't have freedom, but they are satisfied. Freedom does not equal happiness, but the only way freedom doesn't equal happiness is if you were programmed to go to authority, to rely on authority and to follow authority. So do we want freedom? Personally I'm rather unhappy with life as it is because of a lack of freedom. Sorry I lost myself too :p and italics aren't working at the moment for the title of the novel. I'm certain it is the idea of utopia, because you are correct no one alive has experienced freedom. Unless theres someone in the woods or mountains..oh I envy them.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tiamat384
I swear life is really complicated. It's getting worse and worse. None of it even makes sense. We live to die. Unless you believe in some form of afterlife which I personally do not. I would hope for one, but I just can't believe in it. I remember having such a negative attitude towards life. I wrote my thoughts on it. That everyone is the same, that we're all part of a giant, soulless machine. That there's no point, that suicide is the key, not in a depressive way mind you, I'm rather happy, but what is the meaning of life. There is none, because there is no meaning in something that is not eternal. That's my opinion of course.

We live to produce grandchildren. ONce you have produced grandchildren, you can be considered (biologically speaking) a "successful human".

The "meaning of life" is what you make of it. The meaning of my life is to be the ultimate advisor to my 2 sons, to be the rock that my beautiful wife of 21 years can either lash herself to, or break herself against (in which case I will pick up the pieces and care for them), to provide my mother the Golden Years that a woman of her extremely high character deserves (and earned by giving me a great childhood, even when it wasn't so great), and a role model for my employees so that when they leave my employ they are better people than when I hired them.

In short: my "meaning" is defined by the impact I have on individuals. I am very, very big on "the individual".

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I have to say... being a "successful human being" sure sounds like a robotic, automated life... like I said just part of a giant machine. The point of me, is to make more things like me (I love kids don't get me wrong, actually a little girl kept looking at me and waving earlier, so cute) and to get those things to make more things like them..I mean, as a person I love the idea, but the fact that it's so automated, so robotic. The fact that, that may be considered a "successful human". I have to say, I disagree heavily. In my opinion a successful human is a human that achieves his or her dreams. I have to say, you sound like a great father, a great husband, a great son, an actual man. Seriously just awesome, might have just found my role model because that's what I want to be. I agree the individual is very important. Seriously, you've truly earned my respect.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Tiamat384

its only "robotic" because we (all life on Earth) seemingly in a fight to survive, and have had billions of years of trial and error hard wire us in that manner. Like i said, biologically speaking.

Because we are sapient, we seem to want to have a "greater purpose". That is where your rub is...finding that greater purpose. And take solace in knowing that

- you are "normal" to be having this existential struggle. I went through it, and many I know did....but,
- you are ahead of the game for even realizing this to begin with.

So keep thinking, and learn to define your thoughts with very rigorous logical controls. In other words: learn what real logic is, and avoid all the logical fallacies that plague lesser minds.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I mean, I'm not trying to find a deity, I'm not in search for life's secrets. I want the point of my life. Though that may very well be what you meant. Logical fallacies? Mm out of curiosity do you mean fallacies such as the "straw man" or logic in terms of life? I'm trying to find my religious views, I may put more focus into this search now. Primarily I want to find what I believe. My purpose to life..actually I know what my purpose is. It's to adore someone and to love them. Doesn't everyone go through this struggle? Although honestly I haven't seen many my age think about these things much or at all. Ahead of the game? I wouldn't say that.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   

I mean, I'm not trying to find a deity, I'm not in search for life's secrets. I want the point of my life. Though that may very well be what you meant. Logical fallacies? Mm out of curiosity do you mean fallacies such as the "straw man" or logic in terms of life? I'm trying to find my religious views, I may put more focus into this search now. Primarily I want to find what I believe. My purpose to life..actually I know what my purpose is. It's to adore someone and to love them. Doesn't everyone go through this struggle? Although honestly I haven't seen many my age think about these things much or at all. Ahead of the game? I wouldn't say that.

I have run the gamut of "religion". Raised Lutheran, went to a Southern Baptist university (until i could take no more of them, anyway). I forayed into Islam, Buddhism, several ancient religions, and esotericism/mysticism. All my travels in that regard lead me back to agnostic deism. Basically: it seems like there is a higher power, but what does that really mean to me right now?.

Logical fallacies...yes, like the straw man. But that is only the surface. Google the term, and practice working through the thought processes of each fallacy, to make it easier to identify. Then be completely dogged in your pursuit of it in your own life so that it may be eliminated (ETA: the term here is "purposeful action", meaning that your actions are well thought and done with purpose)

School doesn't teach us how to think. It teaches us what to think. Meaning you get to memorize millions of things without ever understanding the gears that turn the wheels beneath it all. So you have to "bootstrap" your own logical processes.

One more thing: once you find what you believe...what then? Believing it? Fanaticism? I'd recommend focusing on the journey, not the destination. More than likely, once the journey is over you will be in a destination that not only would you have never dreamed, but also likely never even knew about (compounded ignorance: we are not aware of what we don't know)
edit on 9/25/2015 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 09:16 PM
link   

a reply to: intrptr
That's very true, but I'm not sure. I feel there's so little control because of say family. And of course society sets so many boundaries..though it's primarily the family boundaries. How has everyone here managed to do it?

Yes, you can't change others (like family). That is closer to the heart of things it sounds like.

I don't mean to pry, and you don't have to respond about it. I have been in controlling situations with my family and have a learned a few things. It depends on how they are behaving towards you.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 09:21 PM
link   

It's to adore someone and to love them. Doesn't everyone go through this struggle? Although honestly I haven't seen many my age think about these things much or at all. Ahead of the game? I wouldn't say that.

That makes you human. Questioning self and wondering what you are supposed to do is the best a person can be. That bent of wanting to love and help is the best part of human nature. Revel in that. Don't worry that others don't seem to be on that course, all that counts is how we behave towards others. Every day, all day, how we treat others.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Oh no, my family, is very supportive, I don't mean that my family is literally controlling, I mean the expectations families have, even though those expectations are for you to have the best you can have, these expectations do in a way limit you.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Oh, I see. Yah, to some extent parents want children to not grow up like them, so they try to lead you in a certain direction.

Those expectations can be pretty confining at times.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I agree, of course my focus isn't on if others are on that course, that's merely commentary on what most people, that I've seen focus on, or rather don't focus on, and also if they even wonder about these important matters. Admittedly wanting to love is the one of the best feelings, as is the quest of loving someone and trying to gain their love, and the most supreme feeling of loving someone and someone loving you.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Yes they can be. There are things they don't want you to be, and things they want you to be,. Families in general, parents well, I don't think anyone wants to disappoint their parents.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   

As you get older you'll realize your own inner compass is leading you in a (whoops, "certain") direction. That might differ somewhat with the world view or parental expectations.

Learn to trust in your own judgement. You already know what you are supposed to do generally. Having doubts about it its humbleness, completely ordinary.

Your desire to love and be loved will see you through. Don't let the haters derail that wonderful part of you.
edit on 25-9-2015 by intrptr because: certain instead of creation

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Yes, life right now is pointing me in a "wrong" direction. I put that in quotes because I do understand maybe it is wrong and it may be wrong in terms of society, but you go where your heart takes you, wherever your soul pulls you. That's my belief, but sometimes it's very difficult to go on that way. I'll be trying though, silently
Great to have such people here to speak with

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Knowing the difference between whats right and not in the moment is half the battle. You already got that. Thats a big deal.

The other half is doing what we are given to know is right.

Another difficulty is choosing your battles. Sometimes its no big deal to overlook, be patient and tolerant of others and your own desires. Sometimes we get it wrong. (meh)

You'll be fine. We don't always know what the right thing to do is, but usually know what we shouldn't. Not going down the wrong path will eventually lead to the right one. If you don't know be patient, wait. Say, I don't know and don't let others pressure you to conform. That is your right.

its not a big purpose that we are supposed to fulfill, just all the little ones that present to us every day. That adds up over a lifetime. Follow your conscience, watch out for the manipulators.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Good advice. It's usually easy to know what is wrong, but whether something is right or not... now that is difficult. I agree with that. I know my desire isn't wrong in truth (meaning outside of society's thinking), but I'm not sure it's right. Now the be patient.. well maybe it's best to pursue, but not with complete strides, but at a slow pace, to see if that which you desire is attainable and if it's truly desirable.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join