It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On "White Male Privilege"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Yes. Discrimination on the basis of skin color is racism.

Your "easy setting" is a testament to your wealth and standing, not your race.

Well said. in the west, its all about the luck of family unit, not the skintone or sex organ location

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

The white privilege is strong with you. hahaha
Honestly it just seems like you're playing devils advocate.
If that's the case - BRAVO SIR...If however you believe the
garbage you just took the time to write than there is nothing
that can be done for you.

-Toy the Bear

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
We know that in certain countries, especially USA and UK, that being both White and Male gives you some privileges.

Life is easier for you. That's just the way it is. If you say you're a Christian, then it gets still easier.

You get paid more, you get less police harassment, you get more and better job offers etc.

To say that this is not true is the height of ignorance.

The only white males who don't think they have an advantage in life, are the ones that are Lazy and prefer to play the victim card and lack personal responsibility. Granted, this advantage can be big or small but it's definitely there and can also be combined with family name and wealth, location of birth etc.

So a white male who doesn't think he has an advantage in life = lazy and faux-victim?

That's a pretty ridiculous assertion. It actually typifies what was described in the OP, i.e. the necessary abandonment of logic to uphold false ideas.
edit on 25-9-2015 by Talorc because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
A black friend of mine with a college education was pulled over one night. The first thing the white officer said to him before anything else -- literally the first thing that was said was, "What kind of education do you have?"

When he told me this I was in shock. He told me he replied, "Um...I've got a college degree from [insert local college] officer?"

It's not like my friends car is in disrepair or "ugly". We both think it was an odd question, and it was clearly motivated by his race. I've never been asked that by the local police here.

I was talking to a few of my friends not long ago about this "white privilege" thing. We were playing video games and chatting over headsets to one another. One said it to me like this:

"Yeah, I guess you can think of it like this game. Being a white male is like starting the game on an easier setting".

I thought that was an interesting way of putting it.

Dam, I guess millions missed out on the easier setting. Had I known where to go to get tlthe priveledge card I would have never worked in that crap paint factory, that smelly waffle house, and gone to school full time. Dang sure would have never taken on school debt, worked crazy hours in my field to improve salary and negotiating capabilities. Wait that sounds like millions of people everywhere. Crazy.

Comes down to this, don't like something change it, this problem is odd though as there are no success indicators ever given to let us know when it's resolved , wonder why?

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: TOYBEAR

This post is a testament to what white privilege looks like.
Congrats.

-Toy the Bear

I’d love to hear what that looks like to you.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
A black friend of mine with a college education was pulled over one night. The first thing the white officer said to him before anything else -- literally the first thing that was said was, "What kind of education do you have?"

When he told me this I was in shock. He told me he replied, "Um...I've got a college degree from [insert local college] officer?"

It's not like my friends car is in disrepair or "ugly". We both think it was an odd question, and it was clearly motivated by his race. I've never been asked that by the local police here.

I was talking to a few of my friends not long ago about this "white privilege" thing. We were playing video games and chatting over headsets to one another. One said it to me like this:

"Yeah, I guess you can think of it like this game. Being a white male is like starting the game on an easier setting".

I thought that was an interesting way of putting it.

Obviously being born white is a life hack.

I have the United white college fund along with dozens of other white oriented scholarship programs.

I have the NAAWP ( national association for the advancement of white people ) to advocate for my race.

There are just tons of programs that help white males get preforential treatment and placement with employment.

I even have quota systems in place like affirmative action to help guarantee I get a job I'm not qualified for over other races.

I mean being a white male is so easy it is like starting Diablo 3 on torment 6, they just hand everything to me everywhere I go....

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: johnwick

And the reason we don't have that is because we were not systematically put down for over a century and not even a century away from when he finally decided that maybe we should stop doing that.

I some what agree that some of the AA(affirmative action) needs to be toned down, because it would seem on the face of things the more boxes you check the more you can get.

Not for getting rid of it completely though as we still have the mindset in people that some are just inherently better then others.
Also think there is more scholarships and what not that are open to all then the ones that a white person could not qualify for whatever reason.

And you would bring up D3, all my files got deleted and I don't want to start over

edit on thFri, 25 Sep 2015 16:28:22 -0500America/Chicago920152280 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Talorc

originally posted by: amazing
We know that in certain countries, especially USA and UK, that being both White and Male gives you some privileges.

Life is easier for you. That's just the way it is. If you say you're a Christian, then it gets still easier.

You get paid more, you get less police harassment, you get more and better job offers etc.

To say that this is not true is the height of ignorance.

The only white males who don't think they have an advantage in life, are the ones that are Lazy and prefer to play the victim card and lack personal responsibility. Granted, this advantage can be big or small but it's definitely there and can also be combined with family name and wealth, location of birth etc.

So a white male who doesn't think he has an advantage in life = lazy and faux-victim?

That's a pretty ridiculous assertion. It actually typifies what was described in the OP, i.e. the necessary abandonment of logic to uphold false ideas.

Not if you think it out.

White Males have an advantage in the USA. That's a given. The only white males that don't think that way are either

1. Playing the victim card and are the ones to say things like, I'd be succesful if not for Obama's Laws or that one guy that got hired because of affirmative action or my father never taught me anything. They always have an excuse to not take control of their own lives. They always blame others for their own misfortunes.

2. They are fairly content to work a non challenging 9-5, come home and drink beer at night and watch football on the weekends. But deep down they wish they had that new Mustang or Motorcycle or trip to Hawaii but they're really too lazy and unmotivated to change. They don't think they have an advantage in life, but also can't see that they're only holding their self back. They might see Barrack Obama as president and even think that black people have more of an advantage in life as they do.

3. They have some other, REAL physical, mental, Health issue that is holding them back. That's a seperate issue although if they really looked at it they would see that they are better off than a minority or woman with the same issues.

That's it.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Yeah, I have a personal story about being 18 and driving myself to college 60 miles away from my home one morning at 5:30 for a 6:30 lab session. I was driving my dad's truck that day instead of my own older, more beat to hell truck. Went through a state police check point and sat there for 15 minutes with a white state trooper badgering me:
"You really going to school this early, son? Why don't you tell me why you're really out here this early?"
he made me empty my backpack, show him my textbooks, show him my class itinerary that clearly stated I had a weekly lab, Tuesday mornings at 6:30, and treated me like utter crap. I'm about as whitebread country boy as it gets. Primarily Nordic/northern Germanic heritage, and have always been very respectful to police. When another trooper, who I knew through my dad, pulled up and asked if there was a problem, greeting me by name, the other trooper became super friendly and wished me a good day.

It isn't white privilege, it's called "assholes are everywhere" and yes, we all sometimes have to deal with them whether we're white, black, red, or yellow.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

White Males have an advantage in the USA. That's a given. The only white males that don't think that way are either
[insert list of conjectures]

Would you mind naming a few institutional advantages to being white?

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   

In other words, you cannot describe it.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Nice confederate flag.
Bring out the color in your eyes.
I've been thinking of wearing my swastika to highlight my blues too.

-Toy the Bear

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

I did describe it to you.
You asked to show you - so I did.
What did you see?

-Toy the Bear

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Nice confederate flag.
Bring out the color in your eyes.
I've been thinking of wearing my swastika to highlight my blues too.

-Toy the Bear

The hammer and sickle might be more your style.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: TOYBEAR

Nice confederate flag.

Thanks! I think so, too.

My eyes are brown, though. Maybe America has White Blue-eyed Male Privilege instead of just white male privilege? That might explain why I've had to work for everything I have while also subsidizing a bunch of folks who haven't and have never seen this mystical "privilege" personally.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

it is not so much as an advantage but a disadvantage for the rest. the result is the same. if you can't see it, then you either white or privileged. it's that simple.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   

hahahahahaha Brilliant.
Star for you my friend.

www.youtube.com...

-Toy the Bear

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   

No you didn't describe sqaut, you linked a couple of civil rights pictures... And didn't say a single word to describe it in your opinion.

Also how the heck is a couple of pictures showing racists acts showing white privilege?

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Because it's never been the other way around.
Don't get upset at me.
I can't hold your hand through everything.

-Toy the Bear

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join