It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We need a few more button

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I propose a few more buttons with a similar function to the stars, ie giving an anonimous opinion. These are:
- the crap: the post quality is obnoxious
- the book: the poster is clearly pushing an agenda or propaganda
- the cross: the poster is trying to generalize insulting a bigger group without evidence
- the donkey: the poster is being dumb

This will probably save me and some other people from being banned while still expressing concerns in regards to the poster or post content.
Also, I would like to know if there is any filter for posting on twitter because frankly unmotivated hate speech isn't going to give a good reputation to the site (from personal experience a friend of mine asked why I was participating in a racist forum like this and took me quite a lot to convince him he was just unlucky to get those threads).

thanks

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Mastronaut

Why anonymous? I think I know of a site where you can already post as 'anonymous coward'.

In regard to 'the book', that would be every other thread here. 'The Cross' would be every 5th post. 'The Crap' and 'The Donkey' would allow you to be mean and anonymous- if you are going to be mean, you shouldn't be able to hide.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   
No anonymous potshots. You can star a post to show you appreciated it (agreement not required). But if you want to express disagreement, displeasure, or disgust it takes more than a click. We're a discussion site, not a vote/poll venue.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

Why anonymous? I think I know of a site where you can already post as 'anonymous coward'.

In regard to 'the book', that would be every other thread here. 'The Cross' would be every 5th post. 'The Crap' and 'The Donkey' would allow you to be mean and anonymous- if you are going to be mean, you shouldn't be able to hide.

I agree that if visible it would probably be abused. However I wasn't thinking about showing all those in the post, I thought it was more a user stat (except for crap content, that may simply be a score) or way to give the user a certain feedback different from a rating.
For ex reading your own posts you could see there are 25 craps and a donkey and you can see the list of names and the admins could see the same thing. So instead of a public reply I could simply say "crap" and not derail the thread.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: yeahright
No anonymous potshots. You can star a post to show you appreciated it (agreement not required). But if you want to express disagreement, displeasure, or disgust it takes more than a click. We're a discussion site, not a vote/poll venue.

Bam!

Love this response, have the guts to say why it's crap.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: yeahright

I probably used "anymously" in the wrong context because in fact it was more a feedback but not a public one.
In fact it was mostly to avoid derails and have some feedback as a poster and not enforce one-liners with personal attacks (they happen quite often and I'm surely guilty of that too).

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 04:29 AM
link   

ATS is about denying ignorance.

Your suggestion would turn it into a trollfest and a popularity contest.

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 06:52 AM
link   
a reply to: markosity1973

But I'll never know how many people find my posts trash. Or how many feel like I'm a shill and a few stars may encourage me (an hypotetical "me" not me personally) to continue on a certain line.

I'd rather just give a sign to the poster he's doing hate speech rather than writing something that is probably going to derail the thread. Then it's his choice to evaluate how to continue in the future.

Now, my suggestion was a bit provocative ofc, and I don't think that a rating system with up/downvotes would do anything good to ATS, but I think a bit more feedback to the poster (not public) or some cumulative stats might be something that encourage a certain quality.

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 07:20 AM
link   

That is why you have to work and think and actually say something and add to the discussion. You can then reinforce your point with

etc

You should not need other's approval or disapproval ratings to share your views. ATS can be a tough audience at times, but don't be shy - tell us what you think and add to discussions and remember the more content you can add to support your view, the better!
edit on 26-9-2015 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: markosity1973

I agree with you partly, but consider this, if we had to say "good job
" every time we supported a comment, we would have pages of comments that don't add anything to the discussion, that's why there are stars (which I'd make non anonimous more or less like facebook likes).
I have no problem expressing my opinion regardless of the popularity of my comment, but I have a different kind of problem, I'm not english native and I often find myself arguing about semantics or using inappropriate wording. I only get feedback when somebody replies and misinterpret what I wanted to say (and 90% of the cases it's my fault).

Other times I imagine some posters will feel they have support by seeing some stars while spitting hate on some religion, country or ideal, and feel like they have a majority on their side while insulting others.

Beware, I am not advocating to have a way to abuse of posters, in fact I would like to have a system like the stars to get feedback, and I understand that making it a public score would only drive useless trolling so I stand corrected on that.
But let's be honest, some people are scared of expressing an opinion that isn't popular even if that opinion may be an important feedback for the poster.

EDIT: even posters who use harsh wording may have a point easily dismissed by the sentences they used. Having lot of negative feedback could simply point out that the way they express their ideas aren't recognized and they may work towards improving the quality of the conversation.
edit on 26 9 2015 by Mastronaut because: (no reason given)

edit on 26 9 2015 by Mastronaut because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join