It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marshenge?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Do the images below, taken by the NASA MRO's HiRISE camera, show concentric stone circles on the surface of Mars that are similar in form and function to Earthbound henges?

The image above was taken from a video on user Mister Enigma's YouTube channel. I don't anything about Mister Enigma but I can tell you that his channel features similar videos of image zooming accompanied by his robotic, synthesized narration. While it's this video that went viral, the image was discovered by Mister Enigma earlier in the day in the Facebook feed of Journey to the Surface of Mars, a feed of Mars rock images chock full of red boxes, magnified inset images and helpful highlighting.

My personal opinion is that no, it's not evidence of megalithic construction in a Martian Stone Age but I hadn't seen it posted here yet and if I'm being totally honest, Mars rocks photos are a bit of a guilty pleasure.

(Here's a link to the original image.)

Quite a few of the more tabloid style UK news sites published stories about this today:

Daily Mail
Daily Express
Mirror

Finally, here we have an image from Scott C. Waring at UFO Sightings Daily who was quoted in The Daily Express:

Scott C Waring of UFO Sightings Daily said: "This is something remarkable.

It's two circles of rocks and one square in its centre."

He even claimed to have seen similar structure in other Nasa images.

He said: "(It is) always a circle. Sometimes with big rocks, sometimes smaller, but always on small hills."

edit on 2015-9-24 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 09:47 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

I find it hard to believe that Martians would be stupid enough to drag huge boulders into circles, I think that sort of behavior is limited to the more primitive types.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   
It could be signal to sky.
"HELP" in giant letters like a man stranded on an island and waiting for a plane to fly over.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Well... my, my ,
isn't that an interesting formation ?
I like this better than 90%
of all the so called Mars anomalies.
Good find !
Let's get our measuring tools out and see
if it encodes pi or the golden section.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 10:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk

I find it hard to believe that Martians would be stupid enough to drag huge boulders into circles, I think that sort of behavior is limited to the more primitive types.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss anything... Those boulders / Henges / Dwellings have survived longer than the civilizations who built them here on earth.
edit on 24-9-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 10:40 PM
link   
i personally believe Mars was once a populated, thriving planet.
nothing i have seen of Mars has dissuaded me of this belief.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 10:47 PM
link   
That is pretty incredible! Based off the original pic those boulders must be pretty tall. Its interesting it's on a mound too.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Looks like a Complex Crater, with eroded central peak due to weathering…

Wiki

On Mars it could have been somewhat buried by sediment and then eroded to expose features of the central peak (the "ring" of stones). An example of that erosion…

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 11:12 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Agreed. Some type of impact site was my first thought as well.

edit on 9/24/2015 by AdmireTheDistance because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 01:17 AM
link   
I downloaded the 250 MB JPEG 2000 and cropped out a much clearer image. Surprised nobody seems to have done this and uploaded it anywhere yet.

full size
edit on 2015-9-25 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Just an opinion, but I like to imagine a green mound rather than a dusty red crater as I personally believe NASA have added false colour. I have crudely added some green tint to show what I mean...

edit on 25-9-2015 by kuraijanai2013 because: more detail

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:26 AM
link   
This isn't an eroded crater, the boulders look individual to me. There are images of a stone circle from the Spirit rover too

edit on 5America/Chicago37Fri, 25 Sep 2015 04:37:53 -050025400000015 by weirdguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:45 AM
link   
a reply to: weirdguy

The problem with that picture is that it would seem impractical, as well as illogical, to construct a henge type structure on a slope.
Thanks for the pic though.
As for the op, I agree with the general idea of it being probably a crater, but Mars pics are bloody fascinating, aren't they?

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:56 AM
link   

It is an interesting image and people like Scott Waring will naturally gravitate to the most unlikely explanation but I'd be interested to know the size of the blocks and why if they were created as an Henge there is no uniformity to be seen in the blocks.

My personal opinion is that no, it's not evidence of megalithic construction in a Martian Stone Age but I hadn't seen it posted here yet and if I'm being totally honest, Mars rocks photos are a bit of a guilty pleasure.

I agree with that opinion but thank you for an interesting image.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

Yeh those Martians are weird.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 05:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: weirdguy
a reply to: Jonjonj

Yeh those Martians are weird.

I had to give you a star there.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Not sure about the henge bit but cool find. I agree I think if you rolled the clock back far enough mars was a thriving world, if we can ever get a colony up there I bet we find some of coolest things ever. There are somethings the little buggies with cameras just can't find and do.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Enhanced..

Interesting wind patterns on the ground ?

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spacespider
Enhanced..

Interesting wind patterns on the ground ?

Possible..also a lot of right angles in the lower part of the pic. Idk if wind would cause that. Also, I wonder what that shiny object is lower left. Maybe just a rock but it is a different color than anything in the pic.

edit on 26-9-2015 by kevinp2300 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Can anyone figure out if the sun setting or even the Martian Moons could potentially play any role? Maybe Earth too? Where on Mars is this?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join