It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NLBS 3.02 - "Organic Food" Is Mostly, No, Completely BS

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 11:44 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

Your smart!

When I cut out processed sugar and eat better carbs the problem diminishes.

Balanced diets are very helpful for people with ADHD, schizophrenia, PTSD, bipolar, and other such disorders.

The docs even recommend it as well as the therapist. In fact many rehabs are incorporating dietitians into recovery programs to help the patient balance their lives out and feel happier and hAve more self worth.

Usually people who eat healthier have higher values of self worth.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 11:49 PM
link   
a reply to: JacKatMtn

Given that up until the last couple of years, I lived in very rural environments my whole life, it is a welcome change despite its challenges.

Even though I am enjoying the conveniences that come with city living, I do feel that the issues regarding survival are more pressing. I felt fairly secure in my preparation when living in a rural environment, now, predicting and planning for a larger variety of possible issues has been at the forefront of my mind.

One of the biggest concerns is water. I have a better idea of how much water we really go through, as I refill several 5 gallon jugs instead of using the city water. We go through them fairly fast so water storage for short term survival (3 months) has been my primary focus.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Organic food you grow yourself or get from a local farm that you trust, is way better than the stuff in the grocery stores. But, sorry to burst any bubbles, there is little to no difference between the stuff labeled organic and the stuff not labeled organic at the average grocery store, except the price.

So NLBS is both right and wrong. Just like anything else. If you do it yourself. It is usually better.

edit on 24-9-2015 by karmicecstasy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 11:57 PM
link   
the cognitive dissonance....its palpable.

Youd think Joe was campaigning to outlaw organic red leaf lettuce while having the Big Mac declared as a "major food group".

LOL

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 12:05 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

The argument is not about a balanced diet everyone knows a balanced diet is the healthy route to go but this is about organic being a scam, show me concrete proof that you are getting what they claim is organic show me the proof that organics have more vitamins then those treated with chemicals.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 12:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

The argument is not about a balanced diet everyone knows a balanced diet is the healthy route to go but this is about organic being a scam, show me concrete proof that you are getting what they claim is organic show me the proof that organics have more vitamins then those treated with chemicals.

I think to get there you have to start with the zero sum myth that "not organic" means "monsanto" or "gmo".

a cat pooping in your garden is "organic"....and it will still make you sick

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 01:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis
I know when the BS is organic it smells better. I had to hold my nose while trying to swallow this. Nothing like a little controversy to boost the ratings.

It would be interesting to do a double blind test on the smell and taste of organic food to test the validity of claims like this.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 01:03 AM
link   

When it comes to fruits and veggies? I wouldn't know. I bodybuild so I care more about my protein sources. When I do cardio (which is an evil word) -- I'm looking for quality carbohydrates to replenish my glycogen stores. Fruits, for the most part are usually a ton of fructose (sugar) and some vitamins. There is a debate whether or not food-sourced vitamins are better than supplemented vitamins, so I'll give you that.

Organic vs. non-organic isn't really a show stopper for me with my athletic goals. I've put on about 8 lbs and dropped about 10% BF in the past 4 months. I didn't make a point to eat anything organic either. I just ate "cleaner" and watched my macros, dialing them in as I watched my body.

I think what I would care more about is GMO vs. non-GMO. Who knows if the protein structures, fiber, and everything else is digestable in the human body the same way a non-GMO product is.

Now where's my 100% organic, grass-fed whey protein shake from free range cow milk?

Just kidding!

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 01:05 AM
link   
a reply to: theNLBS

Yep...Seems Jack found this out the hard way...

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 01:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

After conversing with a certified organic foods inspector I found out that there is no way to determine the difference between what has been grown organically and what hasn't. They completely rely on paper trails there is no way to test.

There is a way to test,but it involves a soil sample for pretty much every square meter of the land that wants to be deemed "organic"...then of course there has to be follow up tests,so yeah there is no real way to know what is organic by labeling alone and i am pretty sure people can pay out $$$ for a fake certificate,the only way to be sure is to grow your own.....

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 01:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
You can use whatever logic you want but 100% notice a difference in my performance when I eat the better food.

You can tell the difference between a 20c GMO tomato and a $2 non-GMO tomato in performance?

The funny part is real food is all good, but we can debate whether golden rice is evil while eating a Mc D.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 01:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

I think what I would care more about is GMO vs. non-GMO. Who knows if the protein structures, fiber, and everything else is digestable in the human body the same way a non-GMO product is.

Now where's my 100% organic, grass-fed whey protein shake from free range cow milk?

Just kidding!

I live near Portland Or, very big on non-GMO products, but when I talk to the "experts" they say things like "it changes your DNA, or changes you at the atomic level" etc...kind of hard to prove that as I approach 60 and in super fit health living off of real food GMO or not.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 01:23 AM
link   
a reply to: theNLBS

Great episode Joe! The nonsense is strong with organic food growing as a subject. It starts with the name. The terminology is flawed from the get go, because the food is not grown organically, because it is impossible to do so. Organic simply means that something contains compounds with carbon backbones. That's fine, but most grown things do. Label coal with the organic marker, and you would be right to a degree, but that does not make it a tasty snack in a pinch, which will nourish and invigorate ones innards.

The other problem I have with the organic industry is this:

If it is better to do it that way, then no one should be allowed to do otherwise. It must, therefore, not be better at all, since there are no efforts being made on behalf of bigger businesses to exclusively produce organic foods. Sainsbury's, TESCO, Walmart (or ASDA if you happen to be on the sensible side of the pond
), Waitrose, and Aldi and Lidl, not to mention Morrisons.... None of these big food businesses are producing organic foods exclusively, and neither are the big brand food producers whose wares those retailers are carrying.

I am all for quality food, but we have to be realistic about things. A good slab of steak tastes good bloody, as long as it is a good slab of steak. It does not matter one whit, taste and nutrition wise, whether the animal was put through an SAS assault course and a diet of steamed kelp before being slaughtered, or whether it was forced to join a hippy drum circle and to sing protest songs outside potential fracking sites. Its a dead cow, and it tastes great and fills your belly.

Requirements fulfilled, and no pretentious nonsense in sight!

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 02:01 AM
link   
I've always thought to myself as I wander through
farmers markets , "what is stopping these hairy old hippies
going to a wholesale distributor , and buying old stock , cheap
then putting an 'organic' sign on it and cashing in"
..... and the answer is, NOTHING !

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Who ever thought it wasn't total BS?
They tell you:
This t-shirt is made of organic cotton.
But you know: cotton is a living plant. So cotton is organic. No need to put that on your product ...
They tell you:
This chicken is better because this chicken is organic.
But...you know...chickens are all organic.
Then they tell you:
Oh no! Not every chicken is organic! IT is about the way it's produced!
And I say: well...last time I checked...I didn't see chickens coming from the nearby plastic molding plant. I saw them running around on a chickenfarm.
So they must be organic.
They say...
No no
The organic chicken gets organic food.
But what chicken doesnt get organic food?

Why the f are we being tought the wrong things?

If any product comes from living beings...its organic.
And by that rule even plastics are organic so quit fooling around.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 02:44 AM
link   
*sigh*

I'm literally TERRIFIED of buying regular produce because of the pesticides. Every time I buy fruits that aren't "organic", I worry about the pesticides that I'm consuming. Some fruits, apples especially, with their fake, waxed skins are an absolute no-way will I purchase. As the years go on, this fear of pesticides only grows.

So generally, I just go without fruit and consume the "natural" juices such as Bolthouse Farms etc. I'll buy bananas and pineapples as I rationalize that at least those fruits must be somewhat pesticide-free with their thick skins.

And when I DO buy the organic fruits and veggies, I do not bother washing them because I presume they are safe from the chemicals.

So now, with this report, apparently there's no safe produce to eat. We're doomed unless we grow our own. Great.

On a side note, some organic fruits and goods are most definitely better tasting. Milk is the most noticeable to me. Organic milk is just SO much creamier and delicious. I can tell every time I buy it, because I can't usually afford it. Apples and strawberries are another one, although with apples I can't be sure anymore, as I said above, I won't touch 'em unless they're organic. On the opposite spectrum, I haven't had an organic sour cream that came anywhere near in flavor to regular.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Been saying this for years, it is a con.
The science backs you up Joe.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 03:02 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

A tip for cheap meat...give it a massage a sensual one lol
makes it more tender.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 03:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
a reply to: TrueBrit

A tip for cheap meat...give it a massage a sensual one lol
makes it more tender.

I would love to elaborate on the image that came to mind after reading this statement but it would be removed as a serious breech of T&C's

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 03:15 AM
link   
I disagree. Organic and non gmo is better for you.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join