It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is child abuse a legitimate part of 'culture'?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I cannot understand the quote below.

“At night we can hear them screaming, but we’re not allowed to do anything about it,” the Marine’s father, Gregory Buckley Sr., recalled his son telling him before he was shot to death at the base in 2012. He urged his son to tell his superiors. “My son said that his officers told him to look the other way because it’s their culture.”
Link to article

If humanity allows anything to be defined as 'culture' and if humanity chooses to allow all 'cultures' to do whatever they want simply because they exist:

Well, the Nazis had created a culture in Germany where the belief in German racial supremacy and many other Nazi beliefs were woven into Germany's culture. Stopping Germany from taking over the world was 'culturally insensitive' by the 'logic' of the quote above (and therefore by that 'logic', it was wrong).

I could go on with many such examples throughout history but it would just be repetitious. I thought humanity understood that any 'culture' that is destructive to the common good of society isn't a valid 'culture.'

I am aware of the concept of "cultural relativism":

Cultural relativism (CR) says that good and bad are relative to culture. What is "good" is what is "socially approved" in a given culture. Our moral principles describe social conventions and must be based on the norms of our society.
Link to article

I just thought that "cultural relativism" was a fringe belief that wasn't really taken seriously overall. Consider some examples of the kind of world we would have if people everywhere truly believed "good and bad are relative to culture":

1. Groups like the Italian mafia or the Japanese yakuza would have carte blanch to carry out their crimes in the name of 'culture.'

2. Satanists, ISIS, and other similar 'religious organizations' could get away with anything as long as it was part of their 'culture.'

In other words, ethics and laws would have no meaning in such a world as long as one could use the appeal to tradition logical fallacy to support their actions. Because, the belief that 'culture' is automatically 'good' is only the appeal to tradition logical fallacy, nothing more.

A society without ethics is a society doomed to extinction. The basic concepts and theories of ethics provide the framework necessary for working out one's own moral or ethical code. - S. Jack Odell

The quote above is the bottom line of all this to me.
edit on 23-9-2015 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Different strokes for different folks but that being said the only culture I care for is yogurt so there you have it.

Morally anything forced with out consent on those who have been deemed unable to give proper concent is very morally wrong. In this case kids can't give proper concent from as their mind and views and bodies are not developed to the point for proper comperhension of the activities and possible consequences.

Cultures that practise child abuse, canabalism and ritualistic killing lack comperhension themselves and have to be either brought up to speed with the rest of us or be removed, either option is fine with me.

I realize many of these cultures have been like this way before our modern mindset but I honestly dont care if they are 10,000years old or popped up yesterday. 99.99%of animals are extinct and more languages have been forgotten then are spoken. so if a couple whole cultures should just disappear well who cares no one misses the Dodo well unless your a Dodo....

a reply to: Profusion

edit on 23-9-2015 by Athetos because: Added some things

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Only according to apologists and pedos.

To accept such behavior and look the other way is disgusting. The people we are putting into positions of power are no better than the Taliban.
edit on 23-9-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Well from my world view I see humanity as a savage brutal race. This is one of the reasons why I see it that way. Only a few people are what I consider 'good' everyone else seems to have darkness even if they don't notice it.
edit on 23-9-2015 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Not anymore, i hope.

All through in ancient times it was certainly rampant, just look at what the Vatican clergy and possibly even Popes got up to with there catamites.
edit on 23-9-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Child abuse is part of their culture, man. It's all relative, man. Don't judge other cultures that you don't understand, their morals are different than yours, man.

Reality is just your perceptions, man.

Don't be an insensitive bigot, and stop projecting your cultural biases.

Just remember, it's all relative. The easiest, cheapest cop-out around. Try it sometime.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

Only according to apologists and pedos.

To accept such behavior and look the other way is disgusting. The people we are putting into positions of power are no better than the Taliban.

I don't think your far off on that statement!

Here is an op ed from the Progressive rag Salon. Notice it is about a self pronounced pedophile and the whole article is designed to make those who read it feel sorry for him. Is it a psyop for future progressive change?

I’m a pedophile, but not a monster

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   

A percentage of people will always find sexual gratification from sexually abusing children, so questions of legitimacy will always need definitions of what that even means in this context.

There is plenty of abuse in all societies, just the stats on prevalence in different societies is scarce to make reasoned comparisons.
If the OP is saying that it is part of our society that a certain percentage of folk find sexual attraction in children, then yes that is obvious, but if the question is that a part of our culture which should be accepted as such, or anywhere, then no, I would disagree.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   
When I was a kid I got whipped with a belt for coming home with F's on my report card. Back then, no one would have called it child abuse, at least no one we knew. Today the tide has changed and spanking a child with a belt or even an open hand is considered by many as child abuse.
However that is really no comparison to what is considered culturally acceptable in other places like Afghanistan. Sodomizing a young boy to satisfy the perverted desires of an adult male should not be tolerated in any society, regardless of culture or tradition. I have a 10 year old son and the very idea of someone chaining him to a bed as a sex slave is unthinkable.
I would hope that there would be enough empathy, compassion, and moral outrage for any human being to take action, should they witness such a crime against nature.
"It's part of our culture" falls on deaf ears.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Sparky63

Yeah, and the same people saying that it is child abuse when you spank your kid are defending the Pedos.

Ironic.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Oh boy these goody old ancient cultures with rich religions and traditions to carry forward. Screaming boy chorus seems to be a hobby of choice for a surprising lot of zealots.

And again, I recommend, let the locals deal with this - arrest and hand over to sharia courts. They seem to have a fairly decent idea on what to do with these fellas.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   
We are destroying other nations at an alarming rate so why get all sentimental about culture as it pertains to child buggery? I say, when in doubt, default to rule 5.56

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Cultural relativism is not a fringe concept, it is a significant part of anthropology and is necessary in nearly any cross-cultural interaction that involves tact or diplomacy.

However, if a culture condones suffering (such as the child abuse described) it is certainly not a culture that should be trusted, and we should be wary of cooperation with them at the very least. Accepting different cultural preferences and practices is all well and good but there comes a point; such as your example with Nazism weaving ideas about racial supremacy into their culture. Sexually abusing young boys crosses the line; even while we were cooperating with them we should not have tolerated it implicitly or explicitly. It was convenient for the U.S. to look the other way during these interactions so they justified it with ideas about cultural relativism. Using the idea this way is not only missing the point, it's morally reprehensible on so many levels.

edit on 23-9-2015 by redhorse because: Needed a "the"

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sparky63
Today the tide has changed and spanking a child with a belt or even an open hand is considered by many as child abuse
I never used violence to punish my son and he's now a 6'1" hard as # successful positive young adult who is kind and gentle unless protective force is needed.

I found that talking often, calmly, deeply, and honestly with my son was, and remains, the most beautiful and productive way to to help him understand the messages of life which come up, not ever smacking him, never done it.
I made the time to listen though, never lamely blaming busy modern lives as requiring the 'need' to buy shiny things.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Actually, you've hit upon a topic of extreme value, i.e., moral relativism and its corollary, cultural relativism. These concepts are an outgrowth of secular humanism which has its ideological roots in late 19th century/early 20th century philosophical thought. I've written entire thesis on these topics, all to no avail because once that Pandora's box was opened, there's really no going back. This path is the path of the devolution of a formerly civilized society into the abyss of extreme hedonism and the development a sort of "Lord of the Fly's", anything goes society.

Hang on to your shorts and keep your kids close because we've not begun to see where this goes. You can sort of begin to see where this is going with this article: www.salon.com...

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Talorc
Child abuse is part of their culture, man. It's all relative, man. Don't judge other cultures that you don't understand, their morals are different than yours, man.

Reality is just your perceptions, man.

Don't be an insensitive bigot, and stop projecting your cultural biases.

Just remember, it's all relative. The easiest, cheapest cop-out around. Try it sometime.

Exactly.

This is why cultural and moral relativism are such a rot. With such philosophies, everything is allowed because you can't judge. And if you can't judge, then so long as even one person finds such an act acceptable, then so do you by tacit approval when you do nothing.

You can protest all you want that YOU would never do such a thing. All that matters is that despite your words, you knowingly allowed it to happen. So, yes, the US is condoning child rape if they aren't stopping the Afghans from engaging in it. I find that disgusting and can't believe my own country is forcing its soldiers to tolerate this.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

It would disturb me if I ever thought the UK condoned such things.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Can we throw in Male Circumcision in there or we going to over look that?

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

It's the military, not the best role models of morality really. If they dont kill for a living, they have supporting roles. I don't know why it would surprise anyone when the military says something like this.

The Afghan men who do this.......might also be the same ones in charge of some poppy feilds that need to be harvested. If you started taking all the men who do this, which is probably a large number seeing how it's a "culural" thing, out of circulation, production numbers go way down. We're talking about harvesting what will go into the production of heroin.

Look the other way soldier.

This has nothing to do with culture and everything to do with the bottom line. Don't fool yourself.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

I agree with this article being a psy op but you need to take it down, because as many ats users that will agree with your premise, even if one ats user gets the idea that it is ok to be like this guy than you have done more harm than good. I am not going to report this cause im not a snitch, just please realize that your post does more harm than good
edit on 23-9-2015 by DOCHOLIDAZE1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-9-2015 by DOCHOLIDAZE1 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join