It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best Gas mask to buy and other questions on the subject

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I realize that to even call one a gas mask probably shows my lack of knowledge. However to remain silent and not have one when it is needed would be imo one of the most depressing things to have happen if the need arises.

Now some of the immediate questions I have are as follows:

1. Where to buy online?
2. What type is best for nuclear, biological and chemical? Is there a single one that can cover all of those?
3. How many extra/additional filters do I need and are they different for different situations?
4. How to buy without breaking the bank
5. How to size before I buy for different size family members
6. Do they have them for pets as well?
7. How best to practice so that if needed I will be proficient?

That will do for now, the thing is, so many damn changes happening in the world, not sure if I will even need one but if I do nothing and not have enough to protect and defend my family, then I will consider myself a failure if it is needed in the future. It is never easy to prioritize for something like this but it just feels like I need to do this.

Ok open to any and all help I can get. And one more thing, when I think in terms of my immediate family, it is really hard to exclude those really close to us as well. How to deal with something like that in a future where it is needed? I have always been the type who is in service to others, shirt off my back and so forth, but in order to be here for those I love most, I would have to get hard, or make the hard decisions. I recently lost my cornerstone, the Patriarch of our family and my very best friend. I always assumed he would be at my back, I barely listened to his instructions throughout my life although he always knew things were going south and that a day would come we would have to stand and defend. I could use a Brother to guide me here and I promise to listen. I had 2 masks with extra filters and such, never really opened them but decided to hand them off to my Son and his new Wife who live 45 miles away in a city. Figured there were not enough for me and the rest, so would have to replace anyway. Soo looking online was daunting to say the least, so many sites, so many types, not enough good info just sales pitches I sensed.

Appreciated...

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: antar

The best bang for the buck in my opinion (New-unissued):

Israeli M15 Military Gas Mask
www.keepshooting.com...

For Kids
www.keepshooting.com...
edit on 23-9-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Ok so what about the extra filters and how to know when to replace one? Also I like that the Children's are only 20.00!

Thank you, that seems like a pretty good price. I did see one here as well: Patriot outfitters:

www.patriotoutfittersguns.com... WedSept232015_NEW_Coyote_Boots_In_Stock_POWEB&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_13c0148060-b2c6fa9e41-18366093&mc_cid=b2c6fa9e41&mc_eid=a3d2406de1

edit on pm930pmWed, 23 Sep 2015 14:22:42 -0500 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Alright, back to the gardens, but I am sooo happy that I made this important thread and do truly appreciate the information.

One thing about sizing, I have young teenagers, small sized, as well as full adult sized. So the adult sized Teens will be fine for adult size, but what about smaller teens or smaller/ petite women sizes?

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Lots of videos on Youtube:

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I got my Israeli M15 for about $35 on Amazon a few years ago, with 3 NATO filters. Sadly, that seller and those prices don't seem to exist anymore.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Hi antar!

Ebay is a good place to get gasmasks as well,but check up the make and model you are buying first,to make sure they are the same as you are buying.

Also,be careful to get a new mask-I have a late WW2 gasmask with an unopened filter-I am so glad I read up on the thing before I opened the filter,as it has asbestos in it apparently.
Not to be used,but a cool historical thing on the shelf.

Get a recentish model NATO M95 gasmask would be my advice-Something like this is a great all rounder,if you are expecting the worst case scenario:

approvedgasmasks.com...

I have a similar but earlier version of that one,filters safe and easy to get-

Great mask-
Does not fog up due to a special way of venting your breath-a major advancement over older gasmasks!
Which is sadly still a big problem with cheapo gasmasks of today.

Also,it has an excellent field of view.
Unlike the kind with two circular viewing ports,these have bigger and curved viewing ports-much better IMO.

Its a NBC gasmask-so it will supposedly give you protection against nooks,biological,and chemical weapons(you would also need a full on protective suit though).
Plus,you need one for everyone you love,or whats the point,right?

Could be darned expensive-Lets hope we never need them antar.

edit on 23/9/2015 by Silcone Synapse because: extra words added

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 01:09 AM
link   
My brother got one from a catalog that had military surplus stuff. I think it was The Sportsman's Guide but I could be wrong. One thing I would suggest is to make sure the filter is on before you put it on. My brother made the mistake of just putting it on without checking and almost suffocated.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Seriously, before buying a gas mask, ask yourself what its for. Yes, it will protect you against tear gas and some of the very old (pre ww2) gases, but any serious use of gas is going to mean nerve gas. which a gas mask wont protect against. Basically, NBC and nerve gas protection means 3 things;
1.Full NBC suit
2. sufficient warning to put on suit and mask
3. a safe place to decontaminate the suit and eat, sleep, use the toilet etc.

I honestly cant see any scenario where a gas mask on its own will keep you alive.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: lawman27

I am not under the delusion a gas mask will keep us safe, it can however possibly buy us time to escape the dangerous area we need to flee. From what I have read, a mask is only good for anywhere between 5-8 hours. With at least 1 spare that means 10-16 hours of escape time. I have also been looking for NBC suits. Kind of expensive but there are some combo suit/masks out there.

Still have not made the purchase yet but with the Syria situation going south it is time.

edit on am1031amThu, 01 Oct 2015 11:20:41 -0500 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   

I got an unused NATO NBC suit,minus the gloves and tape for £15 a few years back-proper charcoal lined,silk type material,velcro cuffs,and vacuum sealed.
It was for a film my bro was making in college,but it would also work in the real deal I guess.

Look around army surplus stores-you should be able to pick one up quite cheap somewhere.
Mine was like this,although I don't know if it was the mk3-probably not,but just as good in a pinch:

www.dicksarmysurplus.com...

Thats quite expensive,but I did get mine 4 or 5 years ago,so maybe they are that price now.

They do spread charcoal all over whatever you are wearing underneath the suit though-so if the apocalypse does happen,don't go wearing you best threads under the NBC suit...

Did ya see what I did there?
"Threads!"
www.imdb.com...

Fot the gloves,just buy some chemical resistant heavy duty rubber gloves from a good DIY/hardware store and turn them inside out,spray with a rubber glue then dip them in charcoal powder.dry them off,them turn them back the right way to use.
For the tape-Any decent duck tape,and you could make a double layer with more charcaol powder inbetween the layers if you want full on charcoal tape.

Happy apocalypse preperations Antar-and the way things are going I don't think you are going over the top to be prepared.

Like the old saying goes-its better to have it and not need it,than need it and not have it.

Do you also have a place you will be heading to if the worst happens?
A deep cave or old mine would be my go to place in the event of nuclear exchange-make sure to have somewere like that in mind,and maybe stash a load of supplies there if you can(hide/bury them if poss).

Hopefully you or anyone of us will not need it though.
Regards from Wales.

edit on 1/10/2015 by Silcone Synapse because: sp

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

Ok first why the charcoal under the clothes? Then do you mean that that movie was yours? I think I watched it some time ago, interesting I will watch it again!

*For the past several days I have had a really hard time staying awake! I mean I wake fully and well rested but within 4 or so hours it feels like I have been up all night, just terrible for someone as naturally active as I am. *

This is something tried and true in my life, that when I need excessive sleep it is always a harbinger of something that will happen that requires my total attention, energy and lack of otherwise normal sleep patterns.
edit on pm1031pmThu, 01 Oct 2015 14:37:53 -0500 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   
If only-
Nah,Threads wasn't my movie-Its a good old apocalypse film though.(well,good isn't the right word-maybe "well made" is a better description.)
The film my bro made was just a small one for a college module,which required a guy in a gas mask and NBC suit(me).

"Threads" in UK speak can also mean "clothes" see.
It was a kind of pun by me-not my best though.

With NBC suits,they are charcoal lined-the charcoal provides a barrier which prevents the radiation/chemical/bio agents from passing through to your skin.
Trouble is the dust from the charcaol will transfer onto your cloths under the NBC suit..it does wash off though,but in the event of a real apocalypse,you would have to bag and throw away anything that charcoal dust has touched after removing your NBC suit,just to be safe.
And you would have to do the same with the suit as well-its a single use item in a NBC event.
You must also be careful to dispose of it downwind,and far from any potential water sources you may be drinking from.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: antar

*For the past several days I have had a really hard time staying awake! I mean I wake fully and well rested but within 4 or so hours it feels like I have been up all night, just terrible for someone as naturally active as I am. *

This is something tried and true in my life, that when I need excessive sleep it is always a harbinger of something that will happen that requires my total attention, energy and lack of otherwise normal sleep patterns.

Hang in there Antar,eat loads of fresh fruit and veg,drink loads of clean spring water.
You are worrying yourself tired due to your processing of our times events.
I know that feeling.
Its a kind of spidy sense thing-
Just keep yourself and family prepared without being paranoid,and know that you are doing all you can.
You will be far better off than most of the population because you worry.
Its not a bad thing to worry and prepare,but it sure makes you tired.
Insticts are there to be trusted IMO mate.

My dad has called me paranoid when I stored extra supplies-I explained to him that there is a difference between paranoia and security consciousness.

You can sleep well knowing you are doing your best to look out for your loved ones.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Just watched the movie Threads
vimeo.com...

Wow.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Can only star you once...

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   
buy any gas mask.
but get new filter if in any doubt.

Practices putting it on with out filter.
so you dont use up the filter.

get stuff read to SEAL up your home.
so out side air will not get in!
tape plastic sheets.

um? how do you breath in your home. and I the first to say this?

This is a BIG problem.
Lots of plants that help the air would help a little.
and a BIG filter for air in from out side.

edit on 1-10-2015 by buddha because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join