It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oklahoma Man Beaten By Purcell Police And Charged With Assualting A Officer

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   

PURCELL, Okla. - An Oklahoma man said he was beaten black and blue by a Purcell police officer.

Chris Barger said he was dropping off a friend at an apartment complex when a police officer pulled over and shone a spotlight through his window.

Police said Barger got out with his hand in his pocket, and that's when the scuffle began.

It’s not an easy night for Barger to talk about.

“I just started screaming for someone to help me, and he began hitting me even harder and faster,” Barger said.

Barger suffered a broken nose and severe bruising after the incident Monday night.

It began when he was sitting in his car at 7th and Taylor.

“He begins to shine his light in my car window repeatedly and, after a while, I decided maybe I should get out of the vehicle and ask the officer what the problem is,” Barger said.

A police report showed the officer pointed his gun at Barger, and Barger put his hands up. Then, Barger said, the officer put his gun back and put him in a headlock.

Barger tried to pull away.

“By the time he threw me on the ground and hit me a couple times with his elbow, at that point, I was like this isn’t a police officer, this is just some guy here to kill me,” Barger said.
kfor.com...

I have said over and over again in threads like this, that this kind of police misconduct starts in minority communities especially poor ones, but make no mistake it will eventually engulf white communities most likely poor ones at first then worked it's way into the white middle class and as people's income and living standards drops the more brutal the cops will start to act towards you, because it's about perception of power the more weakened you become politically and economically the more you will look like those minority communities to them..take heed.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   
There really is a need for an investigation, the police chief probably knows that, but just talks down and dumb.
The officer responsible, just another bully with the power to write out a story.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   

I have said over and over again in threads like this, that this kind of police misconduct starts in minority communities especially poor ones, but make no mistake it will eventually engulf white communities most likely poor ones at first then worked it's way into the white middle class and as people's income and living standards drops the more brutal the cops will start to act towards you, because it's about perception of power the more weakened you become politically and economically the more you will look like those minority communities to them..take heed.

Yup, that's what happens. This guy needs to press charges there is such a thing as unnecessary force, i don't know if it can be applied to cops since you know, people think they are above the law they enforce. Not all of them mind you, just the bad ones, I'm talking about the bad ones.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

I smell a law suit brewing. I hope there was a witness to back this guy up. This guy has no criminal background, wasn't armed, and he's beaten by a police officer and the chief backs him up? This should be in the national spotlight.

How many incidents like this are we going to have until this country assembles a national forum on police brutality? Where is the outrage by our elected officials who give an oath to uphold and protect the constitutional rights of its citizens?

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

“I just started screaming for someone to help me, and he began hitting me even harder and faster,” Barger said.

as people's income and living standards drops the more brutal the cops will start to act towards you, because it's about perception of power the more weakened you become politically and economically the more you will look like those minority communities to them..take heed.

Correct, people need to stop "crying out for help", no one will come, because Americans do not believe in "physically defending themselves" anymore. We live in the Brave New World World of "see something, say something" or "record the event on your cell phone". The days of pople "stepping in and physically assisting" are LONG GONE! If your life is in danger from a police officer, you simply have no choice, but, to defend yourself.

Did early humans and primates simply yell "help me" when a predator was about to eat them OR did they fight for their lives?

This is what the civilian population in the USA has been reduced to and LEO's are more than happy to take advantage of this shift in mindset:

edit on 23-9-2015 by boohoo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Odd - Where are the police apologist calling this man a "thug" and saying he probably deserved it.
Seems they always pop up - oh wait - just saw a picture of the hoodlum..

I firmly believe there are no good cops, just cops that haven't asked for their share yet.

-Toy the Bear

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: TOYBEAR

The officer was shining his light into the car so the driver decides to get out and confront the officer.

With his hand in his pocket.

I think there is more to the story than just this guy's side.

Like the part where he knocked the officers glasses off.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   

We need body cams for the police and to make it a felony if it isn't operating during all stops.

The alternative is for citizens to "arm" themselves with body cameras.

Lastly, I propose a powerful human rights agency step into the picture and to file suit everytime a cop forces the deletion of a video because it shows them in a bad way or a court attempts to strike or disallow the showing of such a video.

In Russian and some other countries a dash cam is a rule for a lot of savvy folks. (Such recorders are dirt cheap from China via the usual sources.)
edit on 23-9-2015 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun

We need body cams for the police and to make it a felony if it isn't operating during all stops.

Lastly, I propose a powerful human rights agency step into the picture and to file suit everytime a cop forces the deletion of a video because it shows them in a bad way or a court attempts to strike or disallow the showing of such a video.

In Russian and some other countries a dash cam is a rule for a lot of savvy folks. (Such recorders are dirt cheap from China via the usual sources.)

NONE of this is going to happen. People need to stop "crying out for help", no one will come, defend yourselves.
edit on 23-9-2015 by boohoo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Looks like the DA is dropping the charges against Barger..
the district attorney told NewsChannel 4 he’s not going to file that charge.
kfor.com...

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: boohoo

originally posted by: Aliensun

NONE of this is going to happen. People need to stop "crying out for help", no one will come, defend yourselves.

Yes, and we can defend ourselves, as a group politically, by eliminating most taxes and thus, funding for most "public services" of which community policing is only one of.

There are many ways for towns to address the crimes, if any, that they might suffer.

Mostly, we need to ban public sector unions or else we will be directly funding those who oppose individual freedom, justice and what we probably all still think of in the back of our minds as "the American way".

It doesn't matter how many law enforcement agents are not corrupt, it only matters how well funded and effective the corrupt ones are.
edit on 23-9-2015 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   

This poor guy has PTSD from an encounter with the police!
Years of recovery and rehab for a couple minute encounter with law enforcement!
My gosh how far we have fallen as a society!
People get beat up and killed on a daily basis by the very people that took an oath to protect them.

Talk about a lack of compassion for another human being. I feel sorry for the families that have to live with these horrible people. Imagine that walking through your door every night.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: TOYBEAR
Odd - Where are the police apologist calling this man a "thug" and saying he probably deserved it.
Seems they always pop up - oh wait - just saw a picture of the hoodlum..

I firmly believe there are no good cops, just cops that haven't asked for their share yet.

-Toy the Bear

To be fair this is the quarter horse capitol of the world version of a black man.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

There's almost always more to the story. When both sides come out, everyone has already gotten their jollies off, and chalked it up to another bad cop.

It could very well be a case where the cop lost control, and it should clearly be investigated, but the automatic guilt given to police on this site is ridiculous. If the cop said he was resisting arrest and had assaulted him, people would say the cop was making it up without even hearing the other side. Cop accused, the person accusing is an angel. You see a guy with a broken nose and a black eye and think he must have been beaten, well no, if he had been resisting and fell he could easily have broken his nose, which often comes with a black eye.

It also bugs me that it's being brought up the guy hasn't been arrested before. Guess what, I had never been arrested before the first (and only) time I got arrested either. That doesn't mean I didn't do something extremely stupid and out of character. In my situation the cop was incredibly nice to me (drove me home instead of putting me in jail) and so were my cell mates (making sure I had extra bedding since all I was given was a blanket) when I served my 24 hours. That didn't make me any less culpable, and it didn't make the cop any worse either.

There are always at least two sides to a story. It's usually somewhere in the middle.

Stop getting bent out of shape every time half a story is brought to light. Yes, cops should all be wearing body cameras. Yes there are terrible cops, but remember that there are also a ton of very stupid people that do very stupid things, and that hanging someone out to dry without hearing their side of things is anathema to what our entire system of justice is based on.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I still don't see the need to beat the crap out of an unarmed person. Too much of this stuff is still excessive.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: boohoo

So, what happens, when I, being better trained, and fighting with all my might, leads to the dispatching of those trying to subjugate me?

Will I get the benefit of the doubt?

Or, will it just be more bleating, and hero worship?

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: J.B. Aloha
cop killers always die

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: J.B. Aloha

So, what happens, when I, being better trained, and fighting with all my might, leads to the dispatching of those trying to subjugate me?

Will I get the benefit of the doubt?

Or, will it just be more bleating, and hero worship?

We are past that point of the discussion. Regular people can choose to fight or be subjugated, there are no other choices left. LEO leadership has chosen not to prosecute these criminals and politicians have decided to not change the laws that would force LEO leadership to act differently. So, why are people still following their edicts, when they have shown total disregard for ethical policy making and contempt for those who ask them to do so?

originally posted by: deadeyedick
cop killers always die

Depends on the era and the context, a lot of "cops" (Ordnungspolizei) got killed by civilians during WWII.

Take Edith Flagg for example, a fashion designer, that immigrated to to the USA after WWII, whom before she died, at 94 years old, was worth $100 million (she is the grandmother of Josh Flagg, from the Brave TV show Million Dollar Listing Los Angeles). Edith Flagg was in the same position and chose to fight. Is she a criminal, in hindsight? If so, than why was she not arrested and charged with admitting to murdering someone on national television?

In an exclusive bonus clip, Edith answers a question Josh had asked years ago: "Has she ever shot a gun?" Edith says that not only did she use a gun—she used it to kill someone during World War II. Edith reveals that she was faced with a him-or-me situation when asked for her papers, and did what she had to do to protect herself.

I ask the obvious question: “Why didn’t you run?” Mrs. Flagg gives the obvious answer: “Where am I running to?

Taking on the identity and paperwork of a deceased woman, Lydia Voskuilen, she lived among the enemy and fooled them all -- day in, day out. “She walked around in a Red Cross nurse uniform and spoke German impeccably so they had no idea she was Jewish,” Josh elaborates. “She used to swim with the Nazis in the morning. She would go into the lake and spy on them to hear what they were saying.”

We have come full circle, except now they don't "exterminate" undesirables, they simply put them in jail indefinitely, for petty offenses, so someone can make money off their existence in the system, via a government contract.

Santana didn’t trust the police to do the right thing with the evidence, and why should he? He saw an officer, Michael Slager, shoot an unarmed man in the back, plant evidence on the body and stand calmly as fellow officers arrived at the scene and did nothing to help the dying man on the ground. Santana didn’t know who Walter Scott was, but he understood that what he had just witnessed was a crime committed by an officer of law, who would then go on to lie about what had happened in order to cover up a murder.

Civilians now have a choice in front of them, do they want to be Chris Barger or do they want to be Edith Flagg? Both Chris and Edith were roughly the same age when they encountered legalized oppression. One cried out for help and got none, while the other took action and lived to fight another day. But this question, is REALLY for the Millennial's and the Generation that comes after them.
edit on 24-9-2015 by boohoo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
a reply to: abe froman

There's almost always more to the story.

If the DA's willing to toss the cop under the bus, then I'm pretty sure there is more to it.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Depends on the era and the context, a lot of "cops" (Ordnungspolizei) got killed by civilians during WWII.

true but none of us are in danger from ww2

we are in danger of choosing to use skills and fight back then be targeted or take another ass whoopin

I live in tx where the rangers take care of cop killers

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join