It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange Animal Behavior in Western Washington

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+66 more 
posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I haven't started a thread in a while, but some things just can't be ignored.

Around eleven in the evening, this past Sunday, when I got home from work, I heard a very odd sounding bird in trees near my home. I stopped, on the way inside, to listen to it. When it stopped, I figured that perhaps it was an owl out hunting/screeching and didn't think too much more of it. (I've lived in this house for over nine years, so I'm very familiar with local night sounds)

Then, yesterday I saw this local article: What was with all the crazy birds in SE King County Sunday night?

It was posted on a Seattle news station Facebook page, and what really made it a bit freaky, were the couple hundred comments in the thread, all personal accounts from up and down the Washington and Oregon Coast, of similar happenings. Flocks of birds, circling and sqwaking for hours, as if in distress. Long-time residents were saying they had never heard anything like it before. They went on to say that the next day (yesterdy, the 21st) that it seemed as if almost all of the birds were gone. As you can see by the above-linked article, it has been suggested that it was caused by a quick change in the weather.....ummmm, ok.

Now, today I just saw this article: Watch: Humpback whales spotted in Columbia River

WHAT?! Humpback whales in the Columbia River??!! For those unfamiliar with it, it's a huge river that dissects Washington State, then travels along the southern Border, and out into the ocean near the Northern tip of Oregon. That is absolutely crazy. I have never heard of such a thing. The above article suggests it is due to El Nino and food source......ummmmm, ok.

GOOGLE map of Columbia River

These are just so odd, that of course, being on top of the Cascadia Subduction Zone, it causes me to pause. I know that scientists insist that animal behavior is not a valid way to predict earthquakes, but....I have never been one to believe in coincidences.

I went for a long walk today. It was a nice, sunny day here in the NorthWestern corner of Washington State. There was hardly a bird to be found. A couple of starlings flying crazy and dive bombing an empty field....and a couple of seagulls down at the river acting pretty dang strange. First of all, I don't normally see them there (on the Skagit). Typically, there are Geese, Ducks, Hawks, Bald Eagles and Sandpipers. None of those were to be found, but these three seagulls kept circling me, coming in close, dive bombing, and then settling on the water not too far away, only to repeat the moves. This was out on an open sandbar. No nesting areas nearby, or anything.

Anyway....I want to put this out there. I know there are many NW ATS'rs on here. I'm wondering if you have noticed anything, or heard or seen any other articles or conversations regarding strange animal behavior?

+9 more 
posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: westcoast

Strange animal behavior has been reported just before earthquakes.

USGS: Animals & Earthquake Prediction
edit on 2015/9/22 by Sherwood315 because: Added URL

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Has there been any odd behavior in dogs observed?
They can be good warning systems.

+6 more 
posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 08:47 PM
link   

I like to subscribe to the belief that animals know more about the inner workings of the world than we do. Some may laugh at me for saying this due to how often animals are hit crossing roads, but I think their sense of self-preservation is far higher than ours. Plus, I believe anyone that says their fauna's behavior is off in some way. Once you life somewhere long enough, you get to know how things work, the animals, and even able to familiarize with certain creature's daily habits. I would look into migratory paths if any of them are of the migration sort. They could be flocking and altering paths to maneuver around the wildfires.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Hi westcoast. Nothing like personal observation. Coming from you thats noteworthy. How are all the volcanos doing up there? Any rumblings?

Animals are attuned to vibrations, maybe instruments are also picking up on?

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Pets run away more before seismic events, (check lost and found)… and number of roadkills go up (check animal control).

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Get out of there now ASAP ! you still have some time left before the 23.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Uh oh WC, when you speak up, my eyes open a little wider. Will be watching closely to see how this pans out. Are you still watchin GEE now a days? Any upticks there at all?

Btw, I miss your personal pics.

edit on 22-9-2015 by Doodle19815 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I always take note when odd animal occurrences happen, but those seem REALLY odd...especially the whale. Will be keeping an eye on this thread and the activity out your way.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Hey WC!

Thats crazy weird.

I believe in weather modification.... not sure if that is whats at play.

Whale in a River? WTH????? Never heard of such a thing... gonna ask google.

I also believe all the accounts of animal behavior before seismic events should be noted here as well, which I know you are well aware.

As a side note.... I'm in Tennessee and I tell ya within a week I have had 2 birds run into my window. According to my Grandmother the superstition is when a bird does that someone close dies. Before the two incidents this week its been years since a bird flew into my window and yes a family member passed.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 09:09 PM
link   

it has been suggested that it was caused by a quick change in the weather.....ummmm, ok.

Usually birds nest quietly when there's a coming change in weather, like storms or rain.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing. While it's a ways away, in Eastern Washington we've had mysterious bird deaths as of recent. I'm looking into more info on it.
edit on 22-9-2015 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 09:32 PM
link   
There must be a big quake coming to Seattle area around 9/23

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   
We are in North Idaho and the birds have been very quiet the last few days. Our dog WILL NOT let us out of his sight either. The neighbors horses have been making a lot of noise but I figured they were trying to get the elk away from their food. We will definitely keep watch.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   
The West Coast is due for a big one....nature is already warning you as others have mentioned. Be prepared if anything, get all the necessary gear in emergency situation. Just in case.

Peace

+14 more 
posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   
whales in the columbia river in search of food is a dire situation, and shows the pacific ocean is not offering nor sustaining food sources.
dont know about earthquakes...but the pacific is not well.
edit on 22-9-2015 by autopat51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   
As for pets I would imagine the bulk o them are contained for obvious reasons thus unable to run away, would exhibit either hiding or rambunction behavior.

If the whole neighborhood's dogs are barking, I'd still consider a warning sign of a seismic event underway

or may St Helens.

+5 more 
posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 09:56 PM
link   
It's been a strange summer here - complete lack of many insects. No mosquitos, no ticks (bad for last 5 years - none this year). No large moths. Birds have been pretty scarce as well.
No telling what's going on in Washington - could be seismic activity, disruption of the food chain in the Pacific, new technology being tested by the military.
Were all guinea pigs now.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 10:02 PM
link   

A whale going inland can only mean one thing to me...a tsunami. I don't know how possible one could be, but that's just really really odd. If it were a volcano, he would have stayed at sea.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   
wc, that is pretty bizarre alright. How bout call down to Chile and ask if just before that last 8.3 they had there if all the animals and birds were freaking out too... They probably just read my nutty book.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join