It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DHS infosec chief: We should pull clearance of feds who fail phish test

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 09:08 PM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

I think people with gov jobs get fired plenty, the higher ups don't sure but that is the same in the private sector IMO.

Think you just have a bias here that you assume it happens more in gov jobs then private.

And what was stopping our gov to be able to acceses that info if they wanted BEFORE the aca?

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 09:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: greencmp

originally posted by: BubbaJoe

originally posted by: Sremmos80

Seriously what does that have to do with DHS employees and top secret clearance. Also don't think what you said is as cut and dry as you say.

There is plenty if incompentent people in the private sector too.

Incompetence is the rule rather than the exception. The only thing that attenuates the continued employment of incompetent employees is economic incentives not to screw up. You must lose your job and your company should fold if you can't live up to your stated service offering.

That's not how government works at all.

And according to you, government was never incompetent before Obama

Government is, has always been and always will be incompetent.

But you are still going to blame Obama and the ACA for the incompetence, funny I don't remember the OP mentioning the ACA at all.

He didn't, I did to remind everyone that the complete medical data disclosure was a mistake for the reasons indicated in the article.

So you admit you did it to nothing but derail the thread, something tells me that is a T & C violation.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 09:10 PM
link   

I think people with gov jobs get fired plenty, the higher ups don't sure but that is the same in the private sector IMO.

Think you just have a bias here that you assume it happens more in gov jobs then private.

And what was stopping our gov to be able to acceses that info if they wanted BEFORE the aca?

I do have a bias, I make no attempt to conceal it.

I want to shrink government dramatically.

EPA Employees Told to Stop Pooping in the Hallway

I don't think they have been fired yet.

Medical records were localized, government could always access the data if it needed to. My complaint has more to do with the recklessly insecure centralization of such sensitive data.
edit on 21-9-2015 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Also never makes any mention of knowing who did it, they are looking for information of who it was if you know.

I am sure you have other examples, but at this point I am just feeding the derailment.
We can end this in agreement, I think, that the people in the OP need to at the VERY least lose their clearance.
At face value of what I read I would even agree let go.

My complaint has more to do with the recklessly insecure centralization of such sensitive data.

They were centralized with the insurance companies before hand as well.
All the ACA did was force more people into that system.
Nothing changed.
Last comment on that.
edit on stMon, 21 Sep 2015 21:16:50 -0500America/Chicago920155080 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 09:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010
I hate to break this to you but anything that is connected to the internet really isn't that secure do you want to blame Obama for that too?

Apparently everything is Obama's fault!

www.urbandictionary.com...

Obama Derangement Syndrome The acute onset of paranoia in otherwise normal people in reaction to the policies, the statements -- nay -- the very existence of Barack Obama.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Medical records were localized, government could always access the data if it needed to. My complaint has more to do with the recklessly insecure centralization of such sensitive data.

No, based on replies on here, I think your responses are based on the fact that there is a black democrat in the oval office, and your world will not be returned to normal until a white republican occupies that office. What insurance company do you work for anyway?

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   

I hate to break this to you but anything that is connected to the internet really isn't that secure do you want to blame Obama for that too?

Well, at least he did not use a home based bathroom server like
his Secretary of State Hillary Clinton did.

She should lose her clearance, if you really believe in the OP.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: burntheships

Well, at least he did not use a home based bathroom server like
his Secretary of State Hillary Clinton did.

She should lose her clearance, if you really believe in the OP.

I will not disagree with you on that one.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Seriously what does that have to do with DHS employees and top secret clearance. Also don't think what you said is as cut and dry as you say.

Incompetence is the rule rather than the exception. The only thing that attenuates the continued employment of incompetent employees is economic incentives not to screw up. You must lose your job and your company should fold if you can't live up to your stated service offering.

But you are still going to blame Obama and the ACA for the incompetence, funny I don't remember the OP mentioning the ACA at all.

He didn't, I did to remind everyone that the complete medical data disclosure was a mistake for the reasons indicated in the article.

So you admit you did it to nothing but derail the thread, something tells me that is a T & C violation.

lol

OK hall monitor, if you don't want to discuss it, have me ostracized.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Also never makes any mention of knowing who did it, they are looking for information of who it was if you know.

I am sure you have other examples, but at this point I am just feeding the derailment.
We can end this in agreement, I think, that the people in the OP need to at the VERY least lose their clearance.
At face value of what I read I would even agree let go.

My complaint has more to do with the recklessly insecure centralization of such sensitive data.

They were centralized with the insurance companies before hand as well.
All the ACA did was force more people into that system.
Nothing changed.
Last comment on that.

I doubt it was a libertarian scat ninja trying to make government employees look erroneously incompetent.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   

No but blaming the ACA for something that has nothing to do with the article is just nonsense.

Actually, it really has everything to do with the article.

If POTUS mandates ACA records online, he should also mandate they be secure?

link   
I work in a somewhat secure environment, I probably get 15 phishing attempts a week. Some I report to the IRS, some I report to the people who's servers are being used. Have received more than one thanks from someone who's server was being used to deliver spam. Even when I have had to use Google translate to write a message in their home language.

link   

No, based on replies on here, I think your responses are based on the fact that there is a black democrat in the oval office, and your world will not be returned to normal until a white republican occupies that office. What insurance company do you work for anyway?

Ah, the race card, because what I said is clearly racist.

For the record, I personally despise insurance and wholly oppose the types of government policies which created health insurance after WWII.

It would have been better to let companies offer higher wages instead of forcing "employee benefits" workarounds.
edit on 21-9-2015 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 09:54 PM
link   

lol

You know interesting thread, seems the Bush admin created the HSA, and had nothing to do with Obama and the ACA, hmmmmmmm, am a computer guy, the people I am responsible for, falling for phishing schemes, are probably getting fired for being idiots.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   

For the record, I personally despise insurance and wholly oppose the types of government policies which created health insurance after WWII.

It would have been better to let companies offer higher wages instead of forcing "employee benefits" workarounds.

Sorry for playing the race card, but it is only since a black man took the oval office, that y'all have come out. Sad fact is, companies would not have offered higher wages, I am 55 years old, have played this game for a long time, in a union state even. When no one could afford what the "For Profit" hospitals were charging, insurance became mandatory. Who ever invented for profit medicine should be executed, not a pretty site, but those that make their living off of other's misery, should be eliminated.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 10:02 PM
link   

lol

You know interesting thread, seems the Bush admin created the HSA, and had nothing to do with Obama and the ACA, hmmmmmmm, am a computer guy, the people I am responsible for, falling for phishing schemes, are probably getting fired for being idiots.

Yes, Bush Jr. increased government more than anyone before him and promoted a wide array of interventionist policies.

Obama doubled it and counting.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   

lol

Yes, Bush Jr. increased government more than anyone before him and promoted a wide array of interventionist policies.

Obama doubled it and counting.

Gonna ask you for a source on Obama doubling it.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 10:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

"Someone who fails every single phishing campaign in the world should not be holding a TS SCI [top secret, sensitive compartmentalized information—the highest level of security clearance] with the federal government," stated Beckman. "You have clearly demonstrated that you are not responsible enough to responsibly handle that information."

Beckman runs his own phishing tests, and those who fall for the fake phishing emails (by clicking on the enclosed link and entering usernames and passwords) are required to take Internet security training classes. And while the test e-mails he uses are clearly coming from outside of DHS and "to any security practitioner, they're blatant," Beckman said that there are some employees, including senior officials, who continually fall for them. Beckman suggested this is because "there are no repercussions to bad behavior... there’s no punitive damage, so to speak."

Liml

I imagine many may disagree but how can someone who falls for these ploys several times be trusted with sensitive information or a position where it is present. To me it demonstrates a lack of awareness of simple security or lack of concern.

Why hasn't it already been done. I some times wonder about who is working for DHS. Some people are not cut out for certain jobs.

I say get rid of DHS... how does creating another gigantic inept gov't run entity make us safer, when the already numerous agencies in place, failed us...

If there were holes and bad interagency communication prior to 9/11.. how did the creation of DHS help?

Seems like they have just created more surface area for HOLES!

Gotta love the folks in DC...

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: JacKatMtn

originally posted by: roadgravel

"Someone who fails every single phishing campaign in the world should not be holding a TS SCI [top secret, sensitive compartmentalized information—the highest level of security clearance] with the federal government," stated Beckman. "You have clearly demonstrated that you are not responsible enough to responsibly handle that information."

Beckman runs his own phishing tests, and those who fall for the fake phishing emails (by clicking on the enclosed link and entering usernames and passwords) are required to take Internet security training classes. And while the test e-mails he uses are clearly coming from outside of DHS and "to any security practitioner, they're blatant," Beckman said that there are some employees, including senior officials, who continually fall for them. Beckman suggested this is because "there are no repercussions to bad behavior... there’s no punitive damage, so to speak."

Liml

I imagine many may disagree but how can someone who falls for these ploys several times be trusted with sensitive information or a position where it is present. To me it demonstrates a lack of awareness of simple security or lack of concern.

Why hasn't it already been done. I some times wonder about who is working for DHS. Some people are not cut out for certain jobs.

I say get rid of DHS... how does creating another gigantic inept gov't run entity make us safer, when the already numerous agencies in place, failed us...

If there were holes and bad interagency communication prior to 9/11.. how did the creation of DHS help?

Seems like they have just created more surface area for HOLES!

Gotta love the folks in DC...

Yep giving a thumbs up to this one, GWB created a few new agencies, and no one is bitching about them until they want to touch their junk. WTF, seriously, either you are for smaller government or for more control, on this issue there is no happy medium.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Sorry for playing the race card, but it is only since a black man took the oval office, that y'all have come out. Sad fact is, companies would not have offered higher wages, I am 55 years old, have played this game for a long time, in a union state even. When no one could afford what the "For Profit" hospitals were charging, insurance became mandatory. Who ever invented for profit medicine should be executed, not a pretty site, but those that make their living off of other's misery, should be eliminated.

No worries, I basically make the general argument across a broad spectrum of topics that government interference is the primary cause of failure. I don't disagree that the private sector also makes mistakes but, they pay for them with their own pocketbooks so society benefits from the successes without footing the costs across the board.

The incentive to profit from development is a motivation that cannot be matched by organized compulsory labor. I think the argument for technical progress is solid and favors private enterprise. That leaves the emotional moral argument which is tricky but, certainly not impossible to address.

I submit that a truly free health care market would be much much better than what we have had up until now for everyone, including the poor.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join