It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worlds first sketch of a long range strike bomber flying wing.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 04:13 AM
link   
One of my all time heroes was the subject of an interview on, of all programmes, Antiques Roadshow last night - Roy Chadwick.

Link to BBC iPlayer - go to 13:40

For anyone not sure who Chadwick was -

Roy Chadwick designed what are arguably the two most iconic British bombers, the Avro Lancaster and the Avro Vulcan (he led the Vulcan team). The Lancaster helped us win the second world war, the Vulcan helped us win the Falklands.
Chadwick went to Avro in 1919 and was their chief designer until 1947, when he died in a testing accident due to crossed aileron wires! During WWII Chadwick was asked to design a long range bomber large enough to carry the atom bomb.
On last night's show Chadwick's daughter brought in some old newspaper pages and notepad pages covered in sketches from before and during the second world war. They show flying wings, blended wing body airliners and some calculations scribbled all over the pages.

Roy Chadwick was a true aviation genius, he would have counted Jack Northrop amongst his peers, perhaps they discussed the bwb airframes and planforms that led to Northrops early YB-49 and those that we see today in the B-2 and LRSB.

I'm not sure if the iPlayer can be viewed abroad, so I've grabbed the following photos for you all, enjoy!

Roy Chawick - Legend!

edit on 21-9-2015 by stratsys-sws because: Formatting

edit on 21-9-2015 by stratsys-sws because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 04:26 AM
link   
a reply to: stratsys-sws

Dam-mm internet knows where i live . UK only .

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 04:37 AM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

Sorry Hutch! I hope the pictures go some way to making up for that. Unless you want to be very naughty and use the Hola Chrome extenstion that spoofs IP addresses
Hola Extension

As a UK BBC licence payer I totally disagree with foreign use of the iPlayer, honest.

Cheers
Robbie

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Nifty looking thing, eh?

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 04:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Siri790

Yeah, the cross section in that last picture looks extremely B-2 esque!

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Well yeah. There are only so many ways to build a flying wing.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 06:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Exactly, it's great to see these sketches for what would have been a top secret design scribbled on a page of The Sunday Times from before the end of WWII.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 06:36 AM
link   

I hate to say it, but drawings of flying wings over the front of a newspaper does not stir me very much. The Germans were lofting such craft before that time and, of course, the allies copied their inventiveness.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 06:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

Ah well, each to their own.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 06:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

Jack Northrop didn't copy anyone. His first prototype flew in 1929. It wasn't a pure wing yet, but it was far from a traditional aircraft. It also flew under power. The first German attempts were all gliders.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Thanks Zaph, I wasn't going to bite

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 07:52 AM
link   

You can screw up history, but screwing up aviation history just bugs me to no end.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Seconded!

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Big Thanks robbie , GREAT POST !!

going to watch it tonight .

thanks

snoopyuk

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 05:25 AM
link   
a reply to: snoopyuk

Thanks Snoopy, I thought a few of the Brits still around here would appreciate it

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 09:35 PM
link   

edit on 24-9-2015 by usafage because: operator error

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Out of interest, what if any value did the antiques roadshow team put on the memorabilia? I watch the show quite regularly here.

LEE.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:46 AM
link   
a reply to: thebozeian

They said that as historical items they are almost priceless and should be in a museum, the expert said that it is "very difficult to put a value on such important and historic items" but should they come up at auction they would fetch at least £10,000.

Of course, Chadwick's daughter said she would never sell them.

new topics

top topics

join