It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most disliked (hated) term (???)

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
"it's all good"

no it isn't all good! If you are the type of person that thinks "it's all good" you are a moron.

but but, what if it's margueritas? Or ice cream? Anyway, you are probably right. I have come to the conclusion in recent weeks, that I am, in fact, a moron.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Have a couple common news terms to add here.

"Blaze"
Why must news coverage of any fire be called "the blaze?" Isn't "fire," or even "conflagration" if they wish to be highassed, perfectly acceptable? But no, EVERY fire story must utilize "blaze" as much as possible.

"The white stuff"
"Will we see any of the white stuff this weekend? Here's meteorologist Bob Balszac with your Channel 10 weather."
Really? "Snow" doesn't suffice? When I hear "the white stuff," my mind immediately goes one of two places:
1. The gutter
2. Scarface
I don't think of snow, because the word 'snow' makes me think of snow. Epic fail by newscasters trying to be too cutesy.

"The blast"
Any story on an explosion quickly travels down the same road as fires do, with 'blast' becoming the accepted and overused catch all for any manner of explosive discharge. Apparently because "explosion" isn't dramatic enough.

"A phone call was not immediately returned"
WHAT ARROGANCE by the media!!! "John Q. Public is being accused of stapling his neighbors dog's buttcheeks together for crapping on his lawn. A phone call from Channel 10 to Mr. Public for comment was not immediately returned. It's almost like these self righteous zilches have such an inflated sense of importance that they believe "Oh, anyone we reach out to for our 'news' coverage should instantly drop what they are doing and respond to our inquiries because we want answers and we want them now!"

"call for"
"President Obama calls for teachers to receive an apple every day from at least one student." In 99.9% of these cases where the media has used "calls for," it was an offhanded opinion, not anyone actually speaking out and asking for action from others. Even when action is demanded, was it truly shouted out? 'Call for' should only be used when it is in relation to someone calling for help.

"went missing"
Is 'missing' a destination? No? Then just say "person XYZ is missing" The did not "go missing", they haven't "gone missing", nor did they "turn up missing"... they're simply "missing."

The various slang terms for children, especially "tots" and "tykes". Call them children, please.

"foodie"
Why does the news insist on calling people and things by cutesy names that just make you feel like they believe they're talking to retards? A person who enjoys trying new food or tries cooking new recipes isn't a "foodie," their a person who enjoys trying new food or new recipes. Pretty easy to say without being such a condescending jackassie...

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   
"Breaks their silence" usually when referring to some celebrity or famous person in deep doo-doo or hot water, who on the advice of their legal counsel or just due to plain arrogance, has not publicly responded or commented on their "wrongdoing", which is usually a crime. What are they, a God, and we the lowly ones waiting ever-so patiently, on the edge of our seat, hoping they'll soon respond, as if we have nothing better to do but think about them ...'Break their silence'... give me a break.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 01:37 AM
link   
this thread makes me crinkle
the words it is like metal scraping sound or nails on the blackboard ..bleh
ok another one

"but trust me"

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 06:31 AM
link   
a reply to: yeahsurexxx

I agree with you, I prefer Equalism or Humanism, but Feminism has become an abused term.
It's one of those words which has been so misused and misappropriated it's meaning has become unclear.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join