It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most disliked (hated) term (???)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I hate it when "hillbilly" is used to try to insinuate someone is of low intelligence, backward or "less than". Some of the most honest, intelligent people I've ever met are hillbillies or rednecks. I am one myself and I wear the title proudly.

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 11:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
I hate it when "hillbilly" is used to try to insinuate someone is of low intelligence, backward or "less than". Some of the most honest, intelligent people I've ever met are hillbillies or rednecks. I am one myself and I wear the title proudly.

Same goes for the word "ghetto". Literally the most honest, kind-hearted, and hardest working people I've ever met lived in ghettos and projects. I guess both words are used the same way to stigmatize entire demographics of people.

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 11:13 PM
link   
yall
its two short words
you
all
and nobody who i have ever heard say it has been in any kind of time crunch (especially one where taking out two letters is going to get them there any quicker)
stop being such lazy turds
it sounds like youre drunk and slurring your words (maybe you are i dont know)

speak american god damn it

edit on 20-9-2015 by fartlordsupreme because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I don't know if this is a local thing or if it's used across the entire south, but it's more of a phrase than a word...

"Good land, I do reckon!"

Well, after typing that I've decided I really hate the word "reckon" (yet, I use it on occasion because it's been instilled in my vocabulary). But, that phrase makes no logical sense and it really messes with my brain.

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 11:19 PM
link   
*loads facebook*

pretty much that. all of it. in it's lite blue hue.

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 11:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aldakoopa
I don't know if this is a local thing or if it's used across the entire south, but it's more of a phrase than a word...

"Good land, I do reckon!"

Well, after typing that I've decided I really hate the word "reckon" (yet, I use it on occasion because it's been instilled in my vocabulary). But, that phrase makes no logical sense and it really messes with my brain.

Sure it does? Reckon - to be of the opinion. Effectively saying "Good land, I think"

I reckon it makes sense anyway. Now Yinz, thats a word I've never heard before and it exists, and is a contraction of You Ones used in some place over yonder, and it irks me for some reason. Almost as bad as Yous, which does not exist, yet there exists a bunch of Aussies continually spouting off about "yous lot" and it's painful to read.

Yinz Wiki

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 12:15 AM
link   
"'awesome"

Because usually it's not even mediocre.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Pareidolia.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 12:31 AM
link   
well these are some awesome responses yall
i was expecting some super ghetto hillybilly style responses
but yinz are actually doing pretty good
ya dern whippersnappers certainly aint no mouthbreathers
suppsebly its a matter of national security that we continue this mission
so lets do our best and get this done instantaneously

....YOLO

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Axe instead of ask.

For some reason I really hate it when people start a sentence with "as a...". Sometimes it seems find, and germane to the conversation, but more and more Im seeing stupid things like "As a plumber, I really think this crime is tragic." It seems a symptom of the pervasive self infatuation found in the Facebook generation. I've also noticed people doing it just completely wrong. "As a plumber, this crime is tragic." or "As a plumber....this crime is tragic."

Supposebly.

Right????!??!?!?!! This is one I've actually accidentally adopted, my girlfriend and I started doing this thing where we enthusiastically parroted the person saying right?? and now I do it on accident all the time. Sort of bit me in the ass.

I could care less. How much less?

Dark people. Favored by a certain breed of liberal jackass usually used sarcastically to insinuate that Republicans are all racist.

Libtard. Stupid Conservatives.

Really any screwing with someone's name/title/descriptor. See Hitlary, AmeriKa, Democraps, Republitards, basically any comment seen written by Alex Jones devotees.

Every time someone on this site mentions Denying Ignorance.

The religiously atheist and pretty much anything that they say.

Australian stuff. Bikey gang? The weird words just grate on me. I like weird Britishisms, but yuck Australia.

edit on 2120150920151 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 2120150920151 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 12:52 AM
link   
I'm a city boy living in a redneck town. I have to say my most hated term is "do what?".

Like, when I say something in proper English and some dixie freak didn't quite hear or understand me, they say; "Do what?"

Absolutely pisses me off. Why can't they just say; "What?" or "I'm sorry, I didn't hear you." or "Could you repeat that?". Just say anything but "Do what?".

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 12:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk
The one term I absolutely loath is "elbow grease". When I hear somebody say it I just want to strangle the ever living dog # out of someone. A boss I had said that (he was a douche, which I also hate) and it took all of my self control not to jam a mop handle in his eye. A little over the top? Maybe, but I detest that word, and also douche bags-which he was.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Oh there are so many, it's just recalling the more annoying ones...

I've never liked absolutely. Four syllables when you just want to say "yeah", "sure", "of course". It's almost completely replaced the word yes.

Reporters on TV documentaries who say "Wow!" whenever they wish to convey that they're mildly impressed.

Tweet now no longer refers to the sound a bird makes but a comment posted on that stupid website.

This isn't about a particular word or phrase, but it's sort of related; a trend I've noticed on UK TV (dunno if it's caught on elsewhere yet). It's pronouncing foreign words like a native would.

So for instance, "Bairleen" for Berlin.

There's a good documentary about the rise of the Nazis on one of our channels, and the narrator hilariously pronounces all the German words he encounters as though he were a native German...and makes a cock-up of it half the time. It's a really good prog, I just can't enjoy it.

I wince all the way through it.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 12:59 AM
link   

edit on 21-9-2015 by dreamingawake because: edit

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 01:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

"Instantaneously" (Grrr just say "instantly"! It's shorter, means the same thing, AND SOUNDS BETTER!!!)

I am sorry but

Instantaneously, pretty much means can happen
Instantly means is happening

They are different words, its important not to confuse them.
They are not interchangeable.

I hate it when people think words are interchangeable when they dont know the meaning

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 01:02 AM
link   
"Regressive"

Listen pal, you are no more advanced than I just because your opinion differs, stop patting yourself on the back.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 01:04 AM
link   
a reply to: CJCrawley

absolutely doesnt mean just yes or yeah

otherwise statements like
absolutely not
make no sense

absolutely doesnt mean confirmation
it just means 100%
in its entirety
in whole
with no exceptions
etc etc etc

actually very useful
edit on 21-9-2015 by fartlordsupreme because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 01:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Wardaddy454

what are the opinions?
opinions can be extremely illogical
and yes
even regressive (in their denial of any and all newer and objective information)

this thread has now gone down hill
and is no longer about people disliking certain terms
but is instead about people dislike words used in certain and very specific contexts

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 01:14 AM
link   
a reply to: fartlordsupreme

Yes, that would be the dictionary definition.

I was referring to the modern conversational use of the term.

"Has the post arrived yet?"

"Absolutely."

"Yes" would be sufficient.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 02:56 AM
link   
a reply to: CJCrawley

that was my definition from you know
infering the meaning from context
i have never actually looked up the definition

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>