It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volkswagen could face $18bn fine over secret device that 'intentionally cut emissions'

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Additional info as the VW CEO has resigned because of this scandal...

VW CEO Resigns

"Other governments from Europe to South Korea have begun their own inquiries, and law firms have already filed class-action suits on behalf of customers."

As I said all along, not a single person or business to blame for this other than VW.
edit on 23-9-2015 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA

originally posted by: deadeyedick
a reply to: opethPA
the system should be abused if we want to really stop pollution.
definitely wan not meaning to single you out personally
the system is designed to waste fuel at the highest rate possible
I feel that any support for following the rules in this case is unknowingly immoral
I will soon prove it

While the rules may not be something you agree with this seems pretty damning for what VW did..they tried to abuse the system and got caught...

"Only then did VW acknowledge that the software switches its engines to a cleaner mode during official emissions testing. The "defeat device" then switches off again, giving the cars more power while emitting as much as 40 times the legal pollution limit during actual driving, the EPA said."

it is a system based on lies so I do not see how vw actions are any worse than the system that enforces methods of fuel consumption that are not conducive to our future.

The biggest lie of all is that liquid gasoline does not burn yet it is poured into engines by the lb.
Only a small portion of the fuel is used to propel a car and the rest is dealt with by these systems regulated by the epa instead of addressing the initial problem that gasoline fumes burn and not liquid gas.

This has been documented over and over again but a tight lid is always kept on the subject

Most people believe that fuel injectors release fuel to the cylinder every rpm but the truth is the injectors only fire every second and the fuel is dumped into a port as liquid having never been givin the chance to vaporize before being dealt with by emission systems designed to dispose of such.

honestly it is the most wasteful system one could imagine next to just lighting your fuel tank on fire.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: deadeyedick
I'm gonna go out on a limb, and guess that you are not up to snuff on modern engines, modern fuel injection, or what 'TDI' even means.

And, no, it is not the most wasteful system. Legacy injection and carburetion systems are far less efficient, unless properly tuned and maintained on a very regular basis.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: peck420

do tell what tdi means and how you think injectors work

only in some diesels systems does the cylinder receive fuel every other turn

the injectors on most gas engines only fire every second or so yet the engine is turning at several hundred rpm

I suppose you refer to top direct injection and believe the injector fires a hundred times a second.

in other words the cylinder does not receive fuel every time it fires like one would think

tdi is only filling up a compartment above the cylinder with liquid fuel

edit on 23-9-2015 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   
To put it more simply

Spark timing does not match injection timing

it is 10-1 at least

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Spreading to way more than just the big bad US which as everyone knows is the root cause of every evil ever..

"The head of Porsche -- Matthias Mueller -- was promoted to the top job at Volkswagen just hours after the German government said the group had illegally manipulated emissions tests on 2.8 million diesel vehicles in Germany."

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: snypwsd

originally posted by: spav5
a reply to: Pluginn
Gm has to pay only 99 million for killing 124 people and now they want Volkswagon to pay in the billions for evading a regulation? sounds about right. SMH.

The us also banned a Volkswagen car from being sold in the states last year because it got 300 mpg.

Care to prove VW has a car that gets 300 mpg. If it exists, why don't the sell it outside the US?

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: LogicalGraphitti

I do not have the links but the car was featured in a thread on this site.

not sure about 300mpg but it was crazy efficient

edit on 25-9-2015 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 11:20 PM
link   

To put it more simply

it is 10-1 at least

Diesels don't have an ignition system.
No spark timing. The fuel ignites by compression.

edit on 9/25/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Or maybe VW shouldn't have done what they did and they wouldn't possibly have to pay as big a fine..

America, responsible for every bad thing ever in the history of the world..

Are you aware that when Mount St. Helens erupted in 1980 it released more toxic fumes and particulate matter (especially NoX, and CO) into the atmosphere than EVERY CAR + EVERY TRAIN + EVERY SHIP + EVERY AIRPLANE + EVERY LAWN MOWER + EVERY MOTORCYCLE......IN HISTORY!!!

Yes humans have an effect, but get up in an airplane once in a while and take a look at the planet from 30,000ft to gain a little perspective on how hysterically tiny we are. The earth can do (and does) much worse than we do pretty regularly.

Before fining VW for avoiding some arbitrarily strict emissions regulation, how about we put sanctions on any product produced in CHINA, where they dump anything and everything directly into rivers. The Chinese river dolphin is already EXTINCT because of it. There are literally rivers in China that run purple, blue or red depending what color clothing they are making that day....

And how about the batteries in everyones favorite save-the-earth HIPPY-CRITE car, the Prius???

Here's the rivers of acid runoff resulting from the Nickel mining:

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 12:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: snypwsd

The us also banned a Volkswagen car from being sold in the states last year because it got 300 mpg.

originally posted by: LogicalGraphittiCare to prove VW has a car that gets 300 mpg. If it exists, why don't the sell it outside the US?

The US never banned the car, it simply never met US regulations, and they never even bothered to try because it was a limited production model. I believe 200 were made, it's called the XL1.

The 300mpg figure might be based on the Imperial (British) gallon which is 160oz, not 128oz like the American gallon. Either way it was over 250mpg, but it was also based on a combination of hybrid cycle driving, and calculating fuel consumption per watt of electricity generated at the power plant.

Either way the car was impressive, but hardly something you take the family on a cross-country trip in, or a practical grocery-getter.

edit on 26-9-2015 by 8675309jenny because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 08:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: 8675309jenny

Or maybe VW shouldn't have done what they did and they wouldn't possibly have to pay as big a fine..

Are you aware that when Mount St. Helens erupted in 1980 it released more toxic fumes and particulate matter (especially NoX, and CO) into the atmosphere than EVERY CAR + EVERY TRAIN + EVERY SHIP + EVERY AIRPLANE + EVERY LAWN MOWER + EVERY MOTORCYCLE......IN HISTORY!!!

Okay great but what does any of that have to do with me saying VW is the only company responsible for this specific attempt to cheat the system?

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: LogicalGraphitti
Care to prove VW has a car that gets 300 mpg. If it exists, why don't the sell it outside the US?

Cars that get 300 mpg are very lightweight, they also lack a lot of power. They're not very practical for anything which is why they don't sell, and if they were practical for any sort of travel their light weight makes them rather dangerous in a crash.
edit on 26-9-2015 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

To put it more simply

it is 10-1 at least

You are such a genius
all hail the phage
if you would have read my post in context you would see that I was speaking about gas burners

would you care to address the post in the context it was formed?

at 2000 rpm in a v10 how many times does the plug fire vs how many times the injector fire???

edit on 26-9-2015 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Okay great but what does any of that have to do with me saying VW is the only company responsible for this specific attempt to cheat the system?

You don't know that.

The EPA doesn't even know that yet. That's why they're is in the process of testing other coompany's cars right now to see if anyone else did similar.

This is actually a very old trick in the world of custom tuning Automotive engines. From the 80's and rejetting the carburetor for inspetion day, to modern EFI. I know dozens of tuners and for 20 years many fast car guys have simply run a different program to pass the sniffer test each year, and then they plug in the tool, and re-flash the performance program when they leave. VW simply made the car do it automatically when it sensed it was on a rolling-road or dyno situation.

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 11:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

To put it more simply

it is 10-1 at least

You are such a genius
all hail the phage
if you would have read my post in context you would see that I was speaking about gas burners

would you care to address the post in the context it was formed?

at 2000 rpm in a v10 how many times does the plug fire vs how many times the injector fire???

THE plug, like a specific ONE, or all ten plugs? And does the engine use waste-spark or true sequential ignition? Is this a 4-stroke, 2-stroke or other?

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: 8675309jenny

yep

the point I wasn trying to make to folks is that tdi is actually an injector spraying liquid fuel into a compartment above the jug. Otherwise the injector would fail due to heat. Only in a few diesels to we see injection based on cam timing.

The reason this is important is because gasoline has an evaporation rate that is not accounted for in pumping liquid fuel into the chamber. Single port injection systems are achieving double and triple the fuel mileage. In other words a system that premixes the fuel and air before reaching the chamber is far more efficient but they do not use such.

The epa then seeks to penalize car companies because the gas that is being spit out the exhaust.

www.enginebasics.com...

edit on 27-9-2015 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   

You don't know that.

The EPA doesn't even know that yet. That's why they're is in the process of testing other coompany's cars right now to see if anyone else did similar.

We 100% do know that VW has admitted to trying to cheat the system..
See their CEO resigning, see multiple executives admitting guilt and talking about rebuilding consumer trust going forward.

Could other companies have tried the same thing, of course but my stance on this all along has been against the ATS element that refuses to hold any criminal responsible for their actions usually because they have someone in America they want to blame.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   

It is strange how the VW controversy suddenly started out of the blue just after the whole refugee crisis problem..it had me thinking for awhile that VW was perhaps being set up somehow..I don't know but I still have questions on the timing..

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: tony9802

It is strange how the VW controversy suddenly started out of the blue just after the whole refugee crisis problem..it had me thinking for awhile that VW was perhaps being set up somehow..I don't know but I still have questions on the timing..

also note the timing with falling gas prices

there game of wasting fuel and cashin in on the public at the risk of ma nature is about to end

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join