It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World flood, did it happen, can it happen again?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: flanimal4114

It is imposible for it to have been a local flood, if it was the account of a bird sent our would have not come back the first time.

Also I will go and say how do we know all of the animals on the ark, so how do we know they couldn't fit?

Oh and I live...in New Zealand

We have good science education in our schools.
Please don't prove me wrong...

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: aorAki

ok then why is it impossible to be a global flood, mess up your carbon dating??? XD!

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 07:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: flanimal4114
a reply to: aorAki

ok then why is it impossible to be a global flood, mess up your carbon dating??? XD!

1. geological evidence such as see critter fossils are widespread over the earth but occur in different geological layers indicating vast diffences in the times each area was underwater. for example one time most of the central portion of the united states was underwater. during that time it was surrounded by dry land on three sides and the fossil record as well as geological layer material clearly show this.

2. if you had to save every species on earth then all of those species representatives would have had to have a way to get to the ark site. there are mountain ranges cliffs, valleys and oceans and thousands of miles in between most of the animals and the ark.

3. embarking one pair or in some cases 7 pairs of animals of each species up a ramp or two into the arc would have taken generations. its rather like the calculation of how many homes a second santa claus must service in order to cover the whole world. it's simply a physical impossibility even allowing for flying magical sleighs.

4. there is insufficient volume in the ark for one to seven pairs of each animal on the earth in the ark, their fodder, the humans and the humans goods and fodder.

5. the purpose of the flood was to preserve a pure prophesy approved bloodline from adam to christ which fulfilled all the prior prophesies made by God. at the time of the flood only Noah and his immediate family had remained ritually and genetically pure. the culture was adulterated by pagan forms traditions and genetics. additionally the proto-israelites had bred with the fallen angels producing incredible prodigies and sports. in order to preserve the bloodline and culture a regional flood would suffice. The flood needn't affect europe or the americas and so forth to achieve the task. God wasn't mad at the whole world. really if anything he was mad at the proto-hebrews; never the less the reason for the flood wasn't primarily about punishing the wicked.

6. there is geological evidence of a breach of a natural impoundment of the mediteranean sea at the time of the Noah flood. such a breach would have flooded the region.

7. other cultures such as meso americans and chinese existed prior to the flood and continued to exist after it.

8. linguistically the word used as world in the OT masaratic manuscripts and the septaguent has many meaning world being just one of them. also extant: dirt, region, kingdom etc...

9. a global flood is discussed elsewhere in the bible but it is implicit that it occurred at a different time than the noah flood. and some passages assumed to be about the noah flood do not match the primary passages about the noah flood; e.g; no birds survived and the mountains moved. The global flood was about the angels rebellion before Adam the Man or Adam the generlized species ever existed.

10. geological layers (especially considered globally) are not messed up by floods even if radioisotopes dating is (it really isn't.) Marine fossils are not evidence of a global flood. they are evidence of tectonic activity usually over vast epochs of time.

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Maybe a very icy comet caused the flood. Cause a huge wave and lots of water vapor.

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Chopper

Where did the water go?

A large cometary impact would have far more reaching consequences than a flood.
edit on 9/20/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

www.news.com.au... 3239209?utm_source=outbrain&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=technology

Question is where is the water going
Seems to be a NASA issue at the moment

Evaporating doesn't really cut it

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

Question is where is the water going
Seems to be a NASA issue at the moment
Not really. The problem being addressed in that article is not a disappearance of water on the planet, it is about the overuse of groundwater. And there isn't actually any question about why it's happening. It's being sucked out the ground, by us.

In drought-stricken California, the Central Valley aquifer was labelled as “highly stressed.” The second paper concludes that the total remaining volume of the world’s usable groundwater is poorly known and huge discrepancies exist in estimated “time to depletion.” “We don’t actually know how much is stored in each of these aquifers. Estimates of remaining storage might vary from decades to millennia,” Richey said.

The oceans are not going away.

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   
We have to assume early mankind before any recorded history lived along coastlines and rivers, even during periods of glaciation. As the earth warmed up after the last ice age, the coastal areas would have flooded either slowly or even rapidly in some areas . The flooding would have caused mass migrations on a scale never scene of heard of before. These migrations, the tales of those journeys, over generations became the flood mythos tales that we hear of around the world.

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 11:00 PM
link   
as to whether it could happen again; God said it would not happen again. other than that though...

there is a unbelievably vast water reservoir between the crust and mantle. I think i read that it contains 4 times the amount of water currently at or near the earth's surface. that includes the oceans. The Fountains of the Deeps; indeed.

www.techtimes.com...

Leaving aside God's promise of the rainbow there might be some mechanism that might release that water back to the surface. I don't know what it is but it is not impossible that something could do it if it weren't forbidden.

Gen 9:11

And I will establish my covenant with you; neither shall all flesh be cut off any more by the waters of a flood; neither shall there any more be a flood to destroy the earth.

Verses from Job chapter 38:

8 Or who shut up the sea with doors, when it brake forth, as if it had issued out of the womb?

9 When I made the cloud the garment thereof, and thick darkness a swaddlingband for it,

10 And brake up for it my decreed place, and set bars and doors,

11 And said, Hitherto shalt thou come, but no further: and here shall thy proud waves be stayed?

12 Hast thou commanded the morning since thy days; and caused the dayspring to know his place;

16 Hast thou entered into the springs of the sea? or hast thou walked in the search of the depth?

edit on 20-9-2015 by stormbringer1701 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 11:05 PM
link   
a reply to: stormbringer1701

there is a unbelievably vast water reservoir between the crust and mantle. I think i read that it contains 4 times the amount of water currently at or near the earth's surface.

No. There is no indication that the Mohorovičić discontinuity contains much water. But there is evidence that there is a significant amount of minerialized water in the mantle itself. Pretty hard to imagine how that could be released though, being part of the chemical composition of the minerals found there.

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 11:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

there is a unbelievably vast water reservoir between the crust and mantle. I think i read that it contains 4 times the amount of water currently at or near the earth's surface.

No. There is no indication that the Mohorovičić discontinuity contains much water. But there is evidence that there is a significant amount of minerialized water in the mantle itself. Pretty hard to imagine how that could be released though, being part of the chemical composition of the minerals found there.

are you a chemist?

there is tremendous heat and pressure.

heat is used to reduce chemicals all the time. i highly doubt all of that water is mineralized or that it stays that way all the time given all the stuff going on down there. furthermore a lot of our minerals at the earths surface are deposited by evaporation of solutions. like precious stones and gold crystal deposits. even the non crstaline gold in discontinuities in rocks.

minor sylvanite based gold deposits in my state are the result of water and low grade geothermal activity when we were a shallow sea here.

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 11:32 PM
link   

i highly doubt all of that water is mineralized or that it stays that way all the time given all the stuff going on down there.

Are you a geologist?

Although not present in a familiar form, the building blocks of water are bound up in rock located deep in the Earth’s mantle, and in quantities large enough to represent the largest water reservoir on the planet, according to the research.

www.astrobio.net...

The water is bound chemically to the minerals. It is in the form of hydrated minerals, not liquid water.

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 11:41 PM
link   

i highly doubt all of that water is mineralized or that it stays that way all the time given all the stuff going on down there.

Are you a geologist?

Although not present in a familiar form, the building blocks of water are bound up in rock located deep in the Earth’s mantle, and in quantities large enough to represent the largest water reservoir on the planet, according to the research.

www.astrobio.net...

The water is bound chemically to the minerals. It is in the form of hydrated minerals, not liquid water.
i am not. but as an amateur precious metal and gem prospector i have learned something about how such deposits form. and heat and pressure work for and against such minerals. minerals are dehydrated by heat all the time. but the pressure works against that. it is probably a dynamic situation with some forming and some dissolving all the time. and the water doesn't magically appear at depth. there is a path for it. the deep hydrological cycle. and there is likely always some water on the way down via subduction and some on the way up through vulcanism and crust spreading.

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 11:47 PM
link   

The article I linked actually explains it quite well.

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Looking at it from one text. This has come up before. How could a global flood have taken place with thriving communities in China and India? It's allegory. Like Lewis Black says(Oh, really bad language):

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 12:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
Looking at it from one text. This has come up before. How could a global flood have taken place with thriving communities in China and India? It's allegory. Like Lewis Black says(Oh, really bad language):

not an allegory. it's a mistranslation. Noah's flood was not a global flood and he did not take paired specimens of every animal on earth. instead he took seven pairs of every livestock and a single pair of every species unique to the local region that was flooded. That is a bit more manageable and believable.

its just that there is confusion about the word the KJV editors translated to mean a global flood. it does not have to be translated that way.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 12:09 AM
link   

The article I linked actually explains it quite well.
I'll read it of course. doesn't mean i will be persuaded. it takes a while for me to analyse and process articles. i'm not completely against the idea it is locked away but it just seems unlikely for reasons i have already put forth. Contra-wise God sez it ain't happening either- so there is that.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 12:11 AM
link   
note that in the gilgamesh flood tale he too had a regional flood and he too took pairs of livestock and important aboard his craft.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Contra-wise God sez it ain't happening either

Where did God say that water is not locked in minerals in the mantle?
edit on 9/21/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 12:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: stormbringer1701
note that in the gilgamesh flood tale he too had a regional flood and he too took pairs of livestock and important aboard his craft.

Wasn't that a tale that Homer retold?
edit on 21-9-2015 by intrepid because: For better clarity.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join