It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Zipf Mystery (Law)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Interestingly enough, I searched 'Zipf" and didn't' come up with just the entire subject but have seen a lot of references to it.

I've always been fascinated by mathematics, although I still haven't cracked PreAlgebra as of yet..yea .. I know, however, I've come to understand that Math IS the Universal language...seriously; with that being said I've alway come to understand that it's a perfect science, unbreakable (yes...I'm sure that there is argument for this and this isn't what this subject is about) ...

it's about statistics ....interesting fun fact about this 'Law', recently I've come across a book that teaches how to interpret oddities in life and the symbolism describe in The Bible...some of it, if used correctly .. is quite hair raising and as I used it lightly as a formula, come to find out...I was dead on in my prediction. This just scratching the surface of a issue I was facing and still facing today to attempt to understand why it happened and what might be the outcome of all of it.

Insert the Zipf Mystery....please listen and watch the entire video, and ask yourself.. "what are the chances ...?" which is a starting point of interpreting 'oddities' in life...this is not about Occums Razor..which is hardly an answer to all things IMO is laziness in it's approach. It's about 'Seeing' things for what they really are and investigating them deeper to get to a deeper meaning if there is one...and is there one?

edit on 19-9-2015 by Komodo because: ....

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Komodo

Any chance of you stating what it is you believe or what the point of your argument is going to be?

"I think math might be cool, here, watch a 20 minute video for some reason I'm not going to clarify" isn't a good premise.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 08:11 PM
link   
This video is a good watch, Im not done yet, and I don't normally endorse YT videos, but if you have time, watch it [if you are unfamiliar with Zipf's Law.]
edit on 19-9-2015 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   

I watched and enjoyed the video

Thanks for taking the time to share it.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Very interesting, thank you. This sounds like programmed reality to me.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 10:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: boncho
This video is a good watch, Im not done yet, and I don't normally endorse YT videos, but if you have time, watch it [if you are unfamiliar with Zipf's Law.]

Vsauce usually has really decent well thought out videos, actually it's one of the few channels i am subscribed to.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 10:42 PM
link   

I watched this video yesterday and found it very interesting. There are other laws such as this that show up in the weirdest places and seem to show some kind of natural distribution log regardless of how random you'd normally assume the data set to be.

The universe really is determined by number law and if you discover enough of them you just might be able to set everything up as a set of algorithms and fractal sets.

Crazy stuff.

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 04:20 AM
link   
We understand some of the mechanisms behind some power laws. Different mechanisms that have some similarity at a high level tend to lead to similar results. We do not understand (yet) some mechanisms. The existence of power laws gives intriguing clues for possible avenues of research. Fascinating, but as VSauce's video mentions, known and studied for a long time already.

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 04:39 AM
link   
"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain; and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality."
-- Albert Einstein
Quoted in J R Newman, The World of Mathematics

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction." --Albert Einstein

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Appreciate the replies and sorry for the late ones, been a bit busy since this video; apparently the forwarding software seems to be on the glitch since I haven't received any replies showing up in my in-box...grrrrr...

Programed Reality....hurts my brain just thinking about it..but, good subject indeed.

the whole 80/20 rule has me contemplating if I can apply it to every day life which might be a bit daunting task...

new topics

top topics

join