It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Racism - A Noun Misused

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 04:46 AM
link   
There is much misunderstanding regarding the noun 'racism', and even greater confusion in its application as an accusatory claim. In the past, I too, have fallen into the trap of its misuse, but the thing to realise is that racism depends entirely on the context of its application, and to ensure that its applied context is correct and true, you have to understand what racism actually is and isn't.

Most people would claim that they already have a clear understanding of the term racism, and know when and how to apply the term, but the truth is...they don't.

Firstly, it is important to understand that our species is of 'one' race...the 'human race', and that our physical differences are simply genetic variations, none of which remove any member of our 'race' from being human. So on this issue, regardless of so-called 'racial variation', predicated entirely on genetic differences, we are all of the same human species. One other differential that is very important, one that is arguably more important in this debate on racism is culture. Genetic variations do not (and never have or will) evolve culture. Cultures have no genetic disposition. They do not emerge out of genetics, but out of a disposition of mindset in response to environment. Culture emerges and is driven entirely by ideas.

To accuse a person of being racist, or of having racist tendencies, that is to say, to claim such a person is racist, is to state that that person believes they and their kind are superior to other people and their kind simply because of variations in genetic traits. This claim is as false and mythic as the belief of superiority itself. Racism is a mindset, and seeks to draw its validation from old fallacies long since rebutted and dismantled.

Modern day claims of racism (I posit) are not about genetic variations, but a social meme about differences in mindset and culture, and if true, disavow the claims of racism as a derogatory accusation. The application in modern day terms of the noun racism is actually being used in error, because it cannot refer to that which it claims, but is in fact targeting the non-acknowledged crisis between mindsets and cultures where the conflicts between humans truly emerge. Physical racial characteristics and culture do not correlate as one necessarily following the other, because culture does not emerge out of genetics, it emerges out of ideas. You cannot argue on the former to validate ideas of racial characteristics superiority over other racial characteristics as they are false, but you can rightly argue against cultures, because culture emerges out of ideas and a disposed mindset to those ideas. You cannot be forced to accept an idea without argument and debate, as the idea has to be shown for its virtues and its vices, and ultimately its utilitarian benevolence to society.

Cultures that do not promote a cohesive society, or try to force a cohesive society, cannot be tolerated, and must remain in isolation, away from societies that do promote a free and self-accepting cohesion to abide by the unforced ideas for cohesion. This latter form of society welcomes all racial variations, but must eschew one culture dominating over others. This is where America should be, and the kind of society it should be seeking towards. At the moment, America is a set of competing cultures, political and economic levels, and religious beliefs, all seeking dominance over the others, and all are ideas. America is a cultural crucible, not a racially genetic one.

In contrast, Europe is not as culturally accepting (unless the incoming culture is similar to the host culture), because historically, one culture has dominated over their country for centuries or thousands of years, and the backlash is due to multiculturalism being forced upon the host culture. You cannot force integration of cultures, because you are trying to force someone else's idea upon and against someone else. So of course, you are going to get resistance. It is this resistance to the dilution and inter-mixing of cultures that is erroneously termed racist. Genetic traits do not even enter the argument, because it is not about genetic variations, but about the differences between the cultures and the mindsets that created and maintain the cultures.

As a prime example, Islam as both a religious belief and culture, is entirely and utterly incompatible and irreconcilable with Western cultural values. This ideological war has nothing whatsoever to do with genetic traits between the Asian people and the various Western peoples. The irreconcilable incompatibility is wholly predicated on the cultures and the mindsets. It is easy to accept people of genetic variations into society, but it is practically impossible to gain acceptance of an incompatible culture...especially when its integration is forced.

If anyone can give me an example of a genuine case of racism, I will show that it is really a case of mindset and cultural incompatibility.
edit on 19/9/15 by elysiumfire because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 04:51 AM
link   
a reply to: elysiumfire

It's usually more like cultural bigotry predicated on differences in skin shade.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 05:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: elysiumfire
As a prime example, Islam as both a religious belief and culture, is entirely and utterly incompatible and irreconcilable with Western cultural values.

So I waded through the whole post and then read this, which is a good example of bigotry, and passing off an opinion as fact.

And I find it sad that what was actually a good, informative piece until that point degenerated so quickly.

And while this...

This ideological war has nothing whatsoever to do with genetic traits between the Asian people and the various Western peoples. The irreconcilable incompatibility is wholly predicated on the cultures and the mindsets. It is easy to accept people of genetic variations into society, but it is practically impossible to gain acceptance of an incompatible culture...especially when its integration is forced.

Is sound enough - and I would agree with it wholeheartedly where such things are forced - it is sufficiently diluted by the statement preceding it to then be of no value at all.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Mate, I could not agree more. Let me tell you about my experience with a tribe in PNG. I was quite literally the first white fella that most of them had cast eyes upon....even though they were aware of the elusive advanced white man with his 'tricky tools".

Their mindset was very much to "explore" the tricky tool white man and after some time being among them I believe that their pre-conceived notion changed such that they felt totally compatible - except that I was the only whitey.

Consequently, I came away from that experience knowing that I will always be welcome back. I also know that they now know that the white skinned man is only different by pigmentation - I still bleed red, laugh, fart, cry and care and love.

I blame propaganda and individuals in positions of power (political, religious, corporate) for todays clusterflux.

I have black, Muslim and gay friends who have my back - and I theirs. AND they all think I tell the best racist jokes. Their favourite is my joke about Klu Klux Kenevel.

Perception and mindset.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 05:28 AM
link   

I take your point about cultural differences as opposed to genetic, but there have been countless examples of this.

To accuse a person of being racist, or of having racist tendencies, that is to say, to claim such a person is racist, is to state that that person believes they and their kind are superior to other people and their kind simply because of variations in genetic traits. This claim is as false and mythic as the belief of superiority itself.

The pictures above are not alluding to problems with cultural differences, the mindsets behind them were directly relating to a belief in superiority over those they sought to denigrate.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 06:01 AM
link   
neformore:

...a good example of bigotry, and passing off an opinion as fact.

By all means, elaborate and clarify this small point you make. Don't hit and then run as if you've won a debate. Show me how I am being a bigot, and show me how Islam is not incompatible with Western cultural values.

beansidhe:

The pictures above are not alluding to problems with cultural differences, the mindsets behind them were directly relating to a belief in superiority over those they sought to denigrate.

No. The images actually relate to ideas, not genetic variation. You ask a KKK member why they don't want Irish, why they don't want blacks - I've no idea why they don't want dogs, yet some will have them - and they will give you cultural responses as answers, because that is the only way they can articulate their twisted and repugnant ideology.

All so-called racism resolves down to differences in mindset and culture. For the KKK to be actually racist, they claims of superiority would have to be true. Of course they are not, and that is how thick they are!

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 06:12 AM
link   

The first picture came from London in the late 60's/early 70's and was from a landlord's window .

All so-called racism resolves down to differences in mindset and culture. For the KKK to be actually racist, they claims of superiority would have to be true. Of course they are not, and that is how thick they are!

Ok , I see what you mean now - there can't be racism, because in reality no one race is superior. Yes, I agree with the latter part: no one 'race' is superior. But the terminlogy refers then to the belief in one's superiority, as opposed to the fact of superiority. I would consider the KKK to be racist, as all ideologys are dependant on the mind behind them. Are we arguing semantics or am I missing a glaringly obvious point? Maybe it's still too early for me!
edit on 19-9-2015 by beansidhe because: window

edit on 19-9-2015 by beansidhe because: sp

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 06:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: elysiumfire
By all means, elaborate and clarify this small point you make. Don't hit and then run as if you've won a debate. Show me how I am being a bigot, and show me how Islam is not incompatible with Western cultural values.

My everyday life.

I work with muslim people in a city with a high muslim population . I shop at premises owned by muslim people. I have at least two fairly close friends who are muslims.

There are never any issues. We discuss cultural differences sometimes. I respect the fact that they beleive, and they respect the fact that I don't. They have never forced and opinion on me and have never tried to make it an issue.

The only people who have - incidentally - tried to force religion on me were white christians and one sikh.

The catholic IRA tried to kill me - and a lot of other people twice. Once in Manchester and once in Warrington.

From that, I could choose to draw the conclusion that the christian faith is incompatible with western values, but I don't, because that would be a grossly unfair summation.

There are some segments of all beliefs that are incompatible with what I would consider to be civilised.

Your viewpoint is based on an intolerance of all muslims, by castigating them as not being compatible with western culture.

That is the very definition of bigotry

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Racism does not have to be a negative thing.
I have good friends from all over the planet.
The Cantina scene from 'Star Wars' impressed me deeply as a child.
Different folks are different.
edit on 19-9-2015 by skunkape23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 08:42 AM
link   

O.K., its early Saturday morning, and I'm going to have to re-read this several times to actually "get it", but I do have an important question.

You stated: "Firstly, it is important to understand that our species is of 'one' race...the 'human race', and that our physical differences are simply genetic variations, none of which remove any member of our 'race' from being human. So on this issue, regardless of so-called 'racial variation', predicated entirely on genetic differences, we are all of the same human species. One other differential that is very important, one that is arguably more important in this debate on racism is culture. Genetic variations do not (and never have or will) evolve culture. Cultures have no genetic disposition. They do not emerge out of genetics, but out of a disposition of mindset in response to environment. Culture emerges and is driven entirely by ideas. "

O.K., well......I think I can agree with that, maybe.
Then you stated: "To accuse a person of being racist, or of having racist tendencies, that is to say, to claim such a person is racist, is to state that that person believes they and their kind are superior to other people and their kind simply because of variations in genetic traits. This claim is as false and mythic as the belief of superiority itself. Racism is a mindset, and seeks to draw its validation from old fallacies long since rebutted and dismantled. "

"False and mythic as the belief of superiority itself". And there your talking about superiority based upon variations in genetic traits. Got it.

Then: "You cannot force integration of cultures, because you are trying to force someone else's idea upon and against someone else. So of course, you are going to get resistance. It is this resistance to the dilution and inter-mixing of cultures that is erroneously termed racist. Genetic traits do not even enter the argument, because it is not about genetic variations, but about the differences between the cultures and the mindsets that created and maintain the cultures."

So my question is this. Are you presupposing that all cultures are equal? You've disconnected "culture" from genetics and I can agree with that, I think. But if I'm following you correctly, what you're talking about is a clash of cultures. So.....am I understanding correctly that the true and proper use of the term "Racist" is when its leveled at someone who believes their culture is of a higher nature than another because their "people" are genetically superior to the people of the, shall we say, less advanced and accomplished, culture?

So, to use an example, I recall from my history lessons that an idea that grew up in the early 20th century was the idea of "Eugenics": "During the Progressive Era of the late 19th and early 20th century, eugenics was considered a method of preserving and improving the dominant groups in the population; it is now generally associated with racist and nativist elements (as the movement was to some extent a reaction to a change in emigration from Europe) rather than scientific genetics." from: en.wikipedia.org...

So....people who believe in Eugenics are the real racists?

Just looking for clarity here.
Thanks, interesting and thought provoking OP.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   
We have been taught to fear difference, at least be uncomfortable with it. Our "Demographic" our class, station, our education, etc. Do you have a degree? D Are you a citizen? Are you wearing a suit and tie?

PHDs don't hang out with 'uneredumacated' types, rich people don't hang with the poor, religious folk abhor different religious beliefs, language, dress, age, you name it.

We are grown this way from an early age. Skin pigment is just another difference to fear, revile, belittle. Not everyone does it, just those that do are rubbed in everyones eye on the main stream.

Divide and rule.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: beansidhe

I take your point about cultural differences as opposed to genetic, but there have been countless examples of this.

To accuse a person of being racist, or of having racist tendencies, that is to say, to claim such a person is racist, is to state that that person believes they and their kind are superior to other people and their kind simply because of variations in genetic traits. This claim is as false and mythic as the belief of superiority itself.

Not true. They did not want superiority. They wanted separatism.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Science would say that you are wrong. There are many many charts and studies that break down races and iq. When you then take common sense and look at which races do what as a whole, it correlates what science has discovered. Facts are also racist.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: WP4YT

They wanted separatism -to be apart from - because they thought the other was inferior. When the three things you won't accept in your house are Irish folk, 'blacks' and dogs, doesn't that tell you something about the mind of the sign-writer? They are dehumanising the first two groups.

It's not a live and let live attitude, where we're all fine if we just stay apart. KKK lynchings happened because the members thought they were better than those they were lynching. They didn't want superiority, they believed that they were already superior.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: neformore

So I waded through the whole post and then read this, which is a good example of bigotry, and passing off an opinion as fact.

Pretty much like everyone going around calling someone 'RACIST' is opinion rather than fact.

Especially so since politics is devoid of any FACTS what so ever.

Which is the whole aim of practical politics to keep people fighting with each other.

Divide, and conquer.

That just exactly what politicians, pundits do exploit differences between peoples.

Based solely on OPINION.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   
neformore:

Your viewpoint is based on an intolerance of all Muslims, by castigating them as not being compatible with western culture. That is the very definition of bigotry.

I understand your point, and would agree with it if I had used the noun 'Muslim' (pertaining to people who believe and practice Islam), which I didn't, I used the noun 'Islam' (pertaining to an idea). All religious beliefs are ideas, some believers of which do try to force their 'idea' upon others. Islam has apostasy, Christianity had/has blasphemy and both often used these rules to kill or exile people. Both are examples of intolerance to Western values.

I too, know Muslims, and as fellow human beings I have no problem with them, but the schism between us is their faith and my absence of religious belief. I have often been labelled racist simply because I have debated and criticised Islam, but I know I am not racist, but I am certainly against ideas that I consider irrational and dangerous. I have never been called a racist when I have criticised Christianity.

TonyS:

So my question is this. Are you presupposing that all cultures are equal?

No, Tony. To my way of thinking, cultures and the mindsets that produce them are not equal, they are quite different in their conceptions and espousal and expression. Some are good and promote genuine 'free' social cohesion, others are quite dangerous and irrational.

With regard to physical human traits, there are genetic variations, but none that could exclude any genetic variant from the category of human...we are all human.

My position is that I deny the term 'racism' as actually pertaining to superiority due to those genetic variations. No. to my mind (and logic), racism actually pertains to the differences between mindsets and culture, and thus to use the noun 'racism' is an error, because it cannot relate back as a fact to its claim...that someone is racist based on their belief of genetic variation superiority. No such superiority exists. Even those who self-claim to be racist are in error, too.
edit on 19/9/15 by elysiumfire because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cyborg11
Science would say that you are wrong.

Most so called 'Science' has about as much credibility as Ron Hubbard.

But, just like all other forms of disinformation, it works very well when its mixed in with a lot of truth.

The High Priests perform their statistical rituals and the cultists genuflect reverently before their idol, Science. And it's all very impressive until the truth is discovered... spectator.org...

The existence of any ostensible "races" in the minds of any people, of any nation, in any language, is merely the result of propaganda, memes and disinformation, the mythology of racism, created and perpetuated by a parasitic minority; the pathological ruling class of the dominant culture.

The supremacists, members of the pathocracy, are well aware that race has nothing to do with reality. The false concept of race also represents a potent "wedge issue" that can be used within the "empire" to manufacture discord and incite conflict among its diverse subjects.

The Mythology of 'Race'

Race doesn't matter. In fact, it doesn't even exist in humans. While that may sound like the idealistic decree of a minister or rabbi, it's actually the conclusion of an evolutionary and population biologist at Washington University in St. Louis.

Race is a real cultural, political and economic concept in society, but it is not a biological concept, and that unfortunately is what many people wrongfully consider to be the essence of race in humans -- genetic differences..." ~ Alan R. Templeton, Ph.D.

"In fact, 'race' is an old term and concept that modern genetic science has shown to be meaningless, but has been satanically exploited to justify all sorts of racial hatred, arrogance, tyranny, and discrimination." ~Nabil Haroun

edit on 19-9-2015 by Murgatroid because: felt like it...

new topics

top topics

join