It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can an Asteroid Hit and Cause The Earth's rotation to change?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Hi everyone,

This is just a curious question on my behalf.

Im wondering if anyone has knowledge about whether an impact with an asteroid can cause the Earth's rotation to change the opposite way?

Thank you for the comments!

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: nusnus

You will not care if this happens.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 09:46 PM
link   

An asteroid that large to change rotation would cause the world to end..

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: soulpowertothendegree

Ha that was quick and made my night. To answer the question differently could qn asteroid strike the earth and change its gravity? Thats what i want to know.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: kenny71

To answer the question differently could qn asteroid strike the earth and change its gravity?

Anything that adds mass to an object will affect it's gravity. But even the accumulation of asteroids' masses over millions of years barely affected the Earth's gravity.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Ask yourself, what happened to Venus?

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Even a close miss by something large could affect the Earth's rotation.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 10:18 PM
link   
You may check it for yourself, Nusnus:
impact.ese.ic.ac.uk...
edit on 18-9-2015 by xoenneox because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I would image it could considering that China built a dam that changed earths rotation.

www.fromquarkstoquasars.com...

www.physics-astronomy.com...
edit on 18-9-2015 by Bluntone22 because: Link

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: xoenneox

Thanks for the link, that was helpful. However, I wish it was more of a graphic calculator so I could manipulate the angles and such.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 10:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I like that information, thank you, but I'm really looking for info on an impact or event that can cause the Earth to rotate the complete opposite way than it is now.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I would image it could considering that China built a dam that changed earths rotation.

Yeah but that's because of the moment of inertia. If Earth was to grow a big mountain fast, it would slow down the Earth's rotation. I suppose a big asteroid could make a mountain that fast lol.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   

I'm really looking for info on an impact or event that can cause the Earth to rotate the complete opposite way than it is now.

I would think it would take a huge chunk out of Earth at an angle so it wouldn't be possible. It isn't like a game of pool where you spin the balls.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 10:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
Ask yourself, what happened to Venus?

Hmmm... good point.
It does spin in the opposite direction of the other planets. Other curious facts about Venus' movement... Its spin is slowing down, its speed of rotation around the sun is by far the slowest of the planets. So maybe it was happily twirling along, got slapped by an asteroid, which changed the direction of its spin and slowed down its orbit, and it is now recovering and the spin is slowing down and will commence spinning in its 'natural' direction. Or not. Anyhow, linky:

Venus' slowing spin isn't the only peculiar thing about its rotation. Venus is unique in our solar system for being the only planet that spins clockwise; all the other planets spin counter-clockwise. This effect, called "retrograde" rotation, is another mystery about Venus that has yet to be adequately solved. Venus' rotation is also by far the slowest in the solar system, which makes the rapid deceleration of its spin especially curious. So far, though, no theory exists that links these other peculiar facts to the planet's decelerating spin.

Read more: www.mnn.com...

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 11:00 PM
link   
God doesn't play dice, he plays snooker!

The only thing keeping the Earth in it's current rotation etc, is equilibrium. Anything that has an affect on that, will have an affect on the Earth. It's strange that we actually think the planet is not a hostile ball of death rotating a fire hell in a vacuum that would suck your brains out of your nose if you even dared to experience it.

The only thing between us and certain, excruciating death... is air. Oo

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 11:06 PM
link   
a reply to: sn0rch

It's strange that we actually think the planet is not a hostile ball of death rotating a fire hell in a vacuum that would suck your brains out of your nose if you even dared to experience it.

Thanks for the imagery

This whole thing do tend to give one an existential feeling.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 11:11 PM
link   
In a word, no. An impact could not reverse the direction of spin. The impact would be on the surface or course. The entire mantle of the earth rests on a fluid mass. If an object large enough to slow, stop, or reverse the rotation of the mantle hit, it would be temporary - and devastating. I suspect that a large impact could momentarily slow the mantle, or at least part of it, causing the rest to pile up on itself. But I don't see an impact large enough to actually stop the motion of the mantle let alone reverse its direction.

I would be far more concerned about the loss of mass on the poles leading to a huge mantle shift as the heavier parts will tend to move toward the equator without any counter balance on the poles. The farther the mass gets from the radius of gyration, the slower it will rotate. (think ice skater spinning in a circle - arms out = slow rotation, arms in = fast rotation)

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 11:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

Wow, your last sentence really brought it home for me. I was trying to figure out the 'why?' until you used the ice-skater analogy. (You would make a great science teacher!)

So... I also read the Earth's spin was slowing. Melting ice caps, anyone? :c

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 11:35 PM
link   
a reply to: new_here

Hmmm... good point.
It does spin in the opposite direction of the other planets. Other curious facts about Venus' movement... Its spin is slowing down, its speed of rotation around the sun is by far the slowest of the planets. So maybe it was happily twirling along, got slapped by an asteroid, which changed the direction of its spin and slowed down its orbit, and it is now recovering and the spin is slowing down and will commence spinning in its 'natural' direction. Or not. Anyhow, linky:

I find that extremely interesting. It also helps explain the atmosphere of Venus. An atmosphere that might not be sustainable in Venus's natural state. However, if that present atmosphere was brought on by a massive impact, an impact strong enough to affect it's rotation, that may be in the process of recovery... that is cool.
edit on 18-9-2015 by charlyv because: spelling , where caught

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 12:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien
a reply to: sn0rch

It's strange that we actually think the planet is not a hostile ball of death rotating a fire hell in a vacuum that would suck your brains out of your nose if you even dared to experience it.

Thanks for the imagery

This whole thing do tend to give one an existential feeling.

I can only imagine how surreal it would be to see the vast immenseness of the void. Having read astronauts words, where they say they expected it to be something... but upon the actual confrontation, you.. and limitless space extending outward beyond your reach, but in every aspect of your awareness...

god.. can yo imagine it??? they say it simply is awe inspiring. and I can imagine.

only imagine..
space in some ways is like a nuclear blast - we marvel at the destruction, how beautiful it can be, yet ... it is pure death.

I'm just glad that I live in a time where I can use my mobile phone as a makeshift vr device, with some cardboard and lenses, and actually view a semi-realistic 3D space environment, that responds and reacts to my movements.

it's the dawn of a new era. I hope we survive the end of the world to retain these things..

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join