It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama nominates first openly gay service secretary to lead Army

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Seems like we can add this to the list of odd things Obama has done lately.

www.reuters.com...

I don't believe in gay marriage. The thought of two men or two women together, sickens me. Maybe I'll learn to accept, but atm it deeply bothers me.

From the mouth of our president,

"Eric brings many years of proven experience and exceptional leadership to this new role," Obama said in a statement. "I am confident he will help lead America's soldiers with distinction."

We sure will be distinct.

Hope others are not too offended by the way I present my point of view.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   
So long as there are genuine qualifications there beyond being gay, whatever.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

From the article:

Fanning is currently serving as acting Army undersecretary, and previously worked as Air Force undersecretary and chief of staff to U.S. Defense Secretary Ash Carter. His nomination to the post must still be confirmed by the U.S. Senate.

From his Wikipedia page:

In the 1990s, he was on the staff of the House Armed Services Committee and later a special assistant in the Immediate Office of the Secretary of Defense. He later served as Associate Director of Political Affairs at the White House.

He also worked at Business Executives for National Security, a Washington, D.C.-based think-tank and at Robinson, Lerer & Montgomery, a strategic communications firm in New York City.

He served as Deputy Under Secretary and Deputy Chief Management Officer for the Department of the Navy beginning in July 2009. He was also Deputy Director of the Commission on the Prevention of Weapons of Mass Destruction Proliferation and Terrorism.[8]

President Obama nominated him to be Under Secretary of the Air Force on August 1, 2012.[9] He testified before the Senate Armed Services Committee on February 28, 2013.[10] The U.S. Senate confirmed him on April 18, 2013.[11] He assumed the position of Acting Secretary of the Air Force upon the resignation of Michael Donley on June 21, 2013.[12]

Seems like it's not that strange of an appointment considering his career history.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I agree that Eric obviously has a lot of self confidence just like any leader should.

But I suspect most other countries would not do this anytime soon.
Does that mean we are socially ahead? Or has society gone off on a serious tangent.
I guess only time will tell.

I am not doubting his qualifications.
edit on 18-9-2015 by iFloButta because: About qualifications that were just posted

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: iFloButta

He has nominated someone with "proven experience and exceptional leadership" and that's odd to you?

And what the hell does gay marriage have to do with this guy being secretary of the army?

Stupid thread.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Well which countries are we talking about?
We are some what behind the issue when it comes to being gay in some places and really only miles ahead of likes of Russia and other socially restrictive countries.

As long as the man is qualified for the job I don't care what he does in his bedroom as long as it is with consenting adults.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   

I am pissed because the guy/gal is from the Air Force! Don't give a damn about their sexuality, but as an old Army Dog, quite pissed that someone from the Air Force was granted authority over any of the many qualified Army leaders who qualified!

Obama has an agenda, that's for certain.

The fact the story focuses on sexuality is very telling IMO.......

edit on 18-9-2015 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Obama has an agenda.

That was the point I was trying to make that was overshadowed by my own personal feelings. Thanks for clarifying

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   

The guy is a civilian, he just held a job previously in the Air Force, as well as the Navy.

Mr. Fanning has been the acting under secretary of the Army as the current secretary, John McHugh, prepares to leave his post. Mr. Fanning’s Defense Department jobs have spanned the services: He has served as Air Force under secretary, deputy under secretary of the Navy and deputy chief management officer of the Navy.

Not sure there is any agenda going on here really other then getting someone who is qualified.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

The guy is a civilian, he just held a job previously in the Air Force, as well as the Navy.

Mr. Fanning has been the acting under secretary of the Army as the current secretary, John McHugh, prepares to leave his post. Mr. Fanning’s Defense Department jobs have spanned the services: He has served as Air Force under secretary, deputy under secretary of the Navy and deputy chief management officer of the Navy.

Not sure there is any agenda going on here really other then getting someone who is qualified.

There our big cultural differences between the services! I KNOW, it's hard to believe for those who didn't serve, but get some leather necks and army dogs in the same titty bar and all hell will break loose!

You might not realize it, but when the Army finds out Obama put someone from the Air Force to be their top over seer? It WILL have an effect on moral!

That is why I said Obama has an agenda! I am sure there were quite a few Army generals who were well qualified for the position!

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 06:19 PM
link   
The guy before him wasn't from the army, he was a politician.
en.wikipedia.org...
Guy before that guy held a JOB with the Air Force.
en.wikipedia.org...

On July 29, 2005, Bush appointed Geren the acting United States Secretary of the Air Force, a position he served in until the confirmation of his successor Michael Wynne in November 2005.

This guy also worked with the Navy, not just the chair force.
I get your inner service rivalry point but it would seem that issue would just be a on going one.

These guys don't come from the ranks it would seem, just more politicians.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   

The guy before him wasn't from the army, he was a politician.
en.wikipedia.org...
Guy before that guy held a JOB with the Air Force.
en.wikipedia.org...

On July 29, 2005, Bush appointed Geren the acting United States Secretary of the Air Force, a position he served in until the confirmation of his successor Michael Wynne in November 2005.

This guy also worked with the Navy, not just the chair force.
I get your inner service rivalry point but it would seem that issue would just be a on going one.

These guys don't come from the ranks it would seem, just more politicians.

Ding Ding Ding!

Gave ya a star BTW! I know it might sound silly to those who didn't give 3 years or more of their lives, but to those who did it means something?

That's why I called it an agenda. Politics and nothing to do with how our military functions? But it means something to those who are now property of the United States Government......

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Well then it isn't just an agenda of obama but them all.
I can meet you in the middle there.

I know it might sound silly to those who didn't give 3 years or more of their lives, but to those who did it means something?

I don't think it sounds silly at all and totally get it, just think you can get a little to wrapped up in it.
Because at the end of the day all service members still respect each other, just have some fun at each others expense.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Well then it isn't just an agenda of obama but them all.
I can meet you in the middle there.

I know it might sound silly to those who didn't give 3 years or more of their lives, but to those who did it means something?

I don't think it sounds silly at all and totally get it, just think you can get a little to wrapped up in it.
Because at the end of the day all service members still respect each other, just have some fun at each others expense.

Agreed! Regardless of politics, the men and women in our military are nothing but pawns in a game the majority of us don't have a clue about.

“Military men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in foreign policy.” Henry Kissinger

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Qualifications aside, and we can see this person is obviously qualified, I feel Obama is most deceptive:

Obama follows a muslim Islamic agenda; he is a hypocrite and deceiver of the gay community..
edit on 18-9-2015 by tony9802 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   
On the one hand, the guy has some pretty good credentials to do the job. No beef there.

On the other hand, pretending that his being gay played no part in the appointment is a bit far fetched. Can I prove that it did? Not beyond a circumstantial level. There's a big push to create a culture of acceptance for LGBT folks in the military and now there's a nomination for a gay service secretary. Not too hard to connect the dots.

As for "the idea" of gay folks: if they aren't hijacking your bedroom to do their thing, I suggest you worry a little more about yourself than what somebody else does in their own home. Really has no impact on you whatsoever.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

OK, what were the other applicants like?

He can be qualified, but I doubt he was the only possible applicant. If he was the best of all the applicants, fine. If he was qualified and gay, and that was what put him over the top, then I'm not cool with it. Being gay is not a qualification for the position unless you are making quotas.

It should be, at most, an interesting aside unless you can tell me being gay legitimately makes him better for the position in some way.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

On the other hand, pretending that his being gay played no part in the appointment is a bit far fetched. Can I prove that it did? Not beyond a circumstantial level. There's a big push to create a culture of acceptance for LGBT folks in the military and now there's a nomination for a gay service secretary. Not too hard to connect the dots.

It certainly didn't hurt him, I would agree.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6.

As for "the idea" of gay folks: if they aren't hijacking your bedroom to do their thing, I suggest you worry a little more about yourself than what somebody else does in their own home. Really has no impact on you whatsoever.

I accept gay marriage, really don't care what two people do on their own dime and in their own home. I don't support it but I don't care if they do marry either. The thought of two guys doing "stuff" together does repulse me though. Almost to the point of vomiting. Two women though... No now I actually like that, unless they look like men...

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   
There our big cultural differences between the services! I KNOW, it's hard to believe for those who didn't serve, but get some leather necks and army dogs in the same titty bar and all hell will break loose!

I don't think a titty bar incident will be a problem.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join