It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Friend of accused Charleston church shooter charged with concealing details

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Joey Meek, a friend of accused Charleston church shooter Dylann Roof, has been indicted on charges of concealing information related to the shootings and of making false statements to the FBI, including withholding details of Roof's plan, according to court documents unsealed Friday.

Meek said he hid Roof's gun that night but put it back the next day.

Prosecutors allege Meek told an FBI agent questioning him after the shootings that "he did not know specifics of Dylann Roof's plan to shoot individuals on a Wednesday, during Bible Study, at an AME Church in Charleston, South Carolina."

www.cnn.com...

This is the part that seems confusing to me...

The indictment also charges Meek with failing to notify authorities of the shooting "as soon as possible."

Is this an indication that not reporting a crime is breaking the law? If so then there are neighborhoods of people who are breaking that law.

Looks like he shouldn't have talked to the law. Hopefully we will be told exactly how he committed criminal act(s).
edit on 9/18/2015 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

edit on Fri Sep 18 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed overly long quote IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Sounds more like obstruction of a LE investigation, to me.

...and yes, unless I'm mistaken, not reporting certain crimes can be an offense. Where the line is? I don't know.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
Sounds more like obstruction of a LE investigation, to me.

...and yes, unless I'm mistaken, not reporting certain crimes can be an offense. Where the line is? I don't know.

I could maybe see obstruction. Not reporting child abuse is a crime in places.

But not notifying of a shooting? Inner cities of full of people who stay clear of that.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

If a person tells you they are going to commit a crime you are required to report that crime. Failing to do so can bring criminal charges. Secondly he not only failed to notify authorities but he also assisted in trying to cover the crime up by hiding the weapon. That fact he put it back is pretty much moot since he hid the gun to start with.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   
So if anyone mentions some thing illegal, a person must report it? The police switchboards should be jammed in today;s world. How many people mouth off and don't do anything. It's not like no one reported the shooting for hours.

I could see if it is appears to be a real threat, such as a group taking weapons and heading for a bank.

edit:

What about a person telling police there ex threatened them and the police state they can't do anything until a crime is committed. Does a lot of good.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

Looks like he shouldn't have talked to the law.

The bottom line of your post is the bottom line of the story. Where was this kid's lawyer?

If the law ever wants to ask me questions, here is how that is going to happen: they give me a typewritten list of questions, I give them a notarized list of answers. I answer no questions verbally.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: JetBlackStare
Misprison of a felony?

The gun issue might make this apply.

If the failure to report is in fact part of misprison then the article surely didn't point out that is why it is applicable. Not surprised though, it's news reporting.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   

This is proof that the law is skewed - a kid is done for what appears to be a case of aiding and abetting.

Dick Cheney shoots a lawyer in the face and is still free.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Correct...

If a person is being threatened they can file a report.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

There is a difference between an accident and intentional act.

A persn who is shot can opt not to press charges.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   

His charges have nothing to do with "not reporting" anything.

He was indicted for a) lying and b) trying to cover up the felony. Misprision of a felony requires that a person actively attempt to conceal a crime. Hiding a gun would fit that.

So, despite headlines to the contrary, his indictments are really not at all out of line with what investigators claim he did, and are substantively more significant than "he just didn't call the cops on his friend."

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

It was a poorly worded article. It may have been purposeful, who knows.

I was referring to what was written.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Wasn't taking a shot at you but I do think it might've sounded that way. I know it was the article, not you. If it came across as such, you have an apology.

Being as its CNN, it's entirely possible.

Side note: is this the same kid that was interviewed by a UK media outlet right after the shooting and said Roof wasn't racist? Anybody know?

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   

To sustain a conviction of misprision of a felony, the government must prove beyond a reasonable doubt:

that the principal had committed and completed the felony alleged;
that the defendant had full knowledge of that fact;
that the defendant failed to notify authorities; and
that the defendant took affirmative steps to conceal the crime of the principal.

The elements of misprision of a felony, both of which must be proved to support conviction, are:

concealment of something, such as suppression of evidence or some other positive act; and
failure to disclose.

Failure to disclose, without active concealment, is not a felony.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   

I assume the bolded parts are yours? I know what the charge is. It's not simply not picking up the phone. A person has to DO something in addition to not reporting it. If he DID something, the charge qualifies. It's not as simple as either your bolded parts or the article make it out to be. Bolding it doesn't change the fact that it's a charge requiring multiple aspects to be proved.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   
and if he did call the police and tell them his buddy was going to kill someone and then his buddy didn`t go ahead and kill anyone he would be charged with fileing a false police report. He was screwed either way the best thing he could have done was not talk to the police at all.
they got you coming and going, damned if you do damned if you don`t and the police wonder why people in the ghettos won`t report crimes or even talk to the police?
edit on 18-9-2015 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

1) if he filed a report stating Roof was going to kill black people because Roof told him that's what he was going to do, no he wouldn't get charged with filing a false report. Filing a false report charges require a person to to KNOWINGLY file a false report (i.e., "my friend robbed a bank last night" when the friend wasn't even in the state). A good faith but erroneous report doesn't merit a charge.

2) given that Roof had made at least some degree of preparations prior to the shooting, there likely would've been sufficient cause to merit an in depth investigation.

3) no, no we don't wonder why "people in the ghettoes" won't talk to us. And it has nothing to do with concern about getting hit for filing a false report.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Just linking that back to the description.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
a reply to: Sublimecraft

There is a difference between an accident and intentional act.

A persn who is shot can opt not to press charges.

There's not pressing charges, and then there's secret visits to the persons hospital room, shortly before the person who was shot apologizes for getting in the way of the bullets.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join