It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alert Level Raised at Largest Active Volcano on Earth- It Might Erupt... It Might Not

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Just received this activity notice:

Volcanic Activity Summary: HVO seismic stations continue to record elevated rates of shallow, small-magnitude earthquakes beneath Mauna Loa’s summit, upper Southwest Rift Zone, and west flank. For at least the past year, the rate of shallow earthquakes has varied but overall has remained above the long-term average. During this same time period, HVO has measured ground deformation consistent with recharge of the volcano’s shallow magma storage system. Together, these observations indicate the volcano is no longer at a background level of activity. Accordingly, HVO is elevating the Mauna Loa alert level to ADVISORY and the aviation color code to YELLOW.

This increase in alert level does not mean that an eruption is imminent or that progression to an eruption is certain.

Shallow earthquakes are occurring in locations similar to those that preceded Mauna Loa's two most recent eruptions in 1975 and 1984; however, the energy release of the recent earthquakes remains comparatively low. The current rate and pattern of ground deformation is similar to that measured during inflation of Mauna Loa in 2005, an episode of unrest that did not end in an eruption.

It is possible that, as in 2005, the present heightened activity will continue for many months, or even years, without progressing to an eruption. It is also possible that the current unrest is a precursor to an eruption, as was the case prior to eruptions in 1975 and 1984. At this early stage of unrest, we cannot determine which of these possibilities is more likely.

HVO continues to monitor the volcano closely and will report any significant changes.

Stay informed about Mauna Loa by following volcano updates and tracking current monitoring data on the HVO web page (hvo.wr.usgs.gov...) or by signing up to receive updates by email at this site: volcanoes.usgs.gov...

Recent Observations:
[Volcanic cloud height] NIL
[Other volcanic cloud information] NIL

Remarks: Mauna Loa is the largest active volcano on Earth. Eruptions typically start at its summit and, within minutes to months of eruption onset, about half of the eruptions migrate into either the Northeast or Southwest Rift Zones. Since 1843, the volcano has erupted 33 times with intervals between eruptions ranging from months to decades. Mauna Loa eruptions tend to have large eruption rates compared to Kīlauea, producing voluminous, fast-moving lava flows that can impact communities on the east and west sides of the Island of Hawai`i. Since the mid-19th century, the city of Hilo in east Hawai‘i has been threatened by seven Mauna Loa lava flows. Mauna Loa lava flows have reached the south and west coasts of the island eight times: 1859, 1868, 1887, 1926, 1919, and three times in 1950. Improvements to the USGS monitoring networks under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) have significantly improved HVO’s ability to detect unrest.

hvo.wr.usgs.gov...

The big elephant has awoken it seems. Elevated seismic activity and ground deformation. It's curious that there was no mention of gas emission changes, at least in the notice. I may try to find out if there are any gas emission changes. If I find something I will post it- or if you do, please post it too. Also curious if there is any measured heat differential detected, like through INSAR. Surely they are using all those tools and more at this massive beast of a volcano. Usually they can detect heat increases. I'll see what I can find out at the HVO, or feel free to look for yourselves.

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 09:32 PM
link   

edit on 9/17/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueAmerican

I will now apologize to my fellow tourists for the coming snowfall on Waikiki during the week of 10-2-15 to 10-9-15. I tend to bring snowfall wherever I go. Am on Oahu then.

After 3 Hurricanes and this news, the islands do not need anything more than, perhaps, more canned Spam.

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Awesome. I watched Mauna Loa's last eruption safely, from Haleakala on Maui, in 1984.

Will be keeping an eye on this! Thanks for the heads up!

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Fun Question: Which is larger- Yellowstone or Mauna Loa?

Do your research carefully. Lotsa stars for the correct answer!

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Cool- normally I don't monitor Hawaii volcanoes, but I was able to get three stations at Mauna Loa up and live on my rig! Now I got spectro on that beast.
Bring on da tremor!

Seems quiet at the moment. But I know better than to let that fool me. Quake activity has been up or they wouldn't have increased the alert level. But see, that's just it. Surely there must be more symptoms for them to raise the alert level than just quakes and deformation. And if there isn't, then good on them for erring on the side of caution.

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Doesn't Yellowstone have a larger Magma chamber?

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueAmericanMauna Loa largest subaerial in mass and volume and is active

eta
The term subaerial (literally "under the air") is mainly used in geology to describe events or features that are formed, located or taking place on the Earth's land surface and exposed to Earth's atmosphere.

edit on 17-9-2015 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 10:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueAmerican

Not applicable

Its a totally different type and class of volcano

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 10:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueAmerican

If you go by estimated volume rather than height...Then Tamu Massif , at the bottom of the Pacific, is the largest, and Mauna Loa would be the next largest, according to Live Science. www.livescience.com...

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   
TA- Is there any significant risk to this volcano erupting? I mean, other than to the people who are locally in the area? Any global threat or just a fun show coming our way?

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: bhornbuckle75

isnt that one over in the east closer to thailand?

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 10:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: NewzNose

I will now apologize to my fellow tourists for the coming snowfall on Waikiki during the week of 10-2-15 to 10-9-15. I tend to bring snowfall wherever I go. Am on Oahu then.

After 3 Hurricanes and this news, the islands do not need anything more than, perhaps, more canned Spam.

Are you saying there's some sort of uncanned Spam epidemic?

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: jhn7537
TA- Is there any significant risk to this volcano erupting? I mean, other than to the people who are locally in the area? Any global threat or just a fun show coming our way?

Lol. Nah, no threat at all...

A potentially greater hazard at Mauna Loa is a sudden, massive collapse of the volcano's flanks, like the one that struck the volcano's west flank between 100,000 and 200,000 years ago and formed the present-day Kealakekua Bay.[31] Deep fault lines are a common feature on Hawaiian volcanoes, allowing large portions of their flanks to gradually slide downwards and forming structures like the Hilina Slump and the ancient Ninole Hills; large earthquakes could trigger rapid flank collapses along these lines, creating massive landslides and possibly triggering equally large tsunamis. Undersea surveys have revealed numerous landslides along the Hawaiian chain and evidence of two such giant tsunami events: 200,000 years ago, Molokaʻi experienced a 75 m (246 ft) tsunami, and 100,000 years ago a megatsunami 325 m (1,066 ft) high struck Lānaʻi.[59] A more recent example of the risks associated with slumps occurred when in 1975 the Hilina Slump suddenly lurched forward several meters, triggering a magnitude 7.2 earthquake and a small tsunami that killed two campers at Halape.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Ok, i can live with some tsunami action, but say if a yellowstone went off, that means good-bye all... So, you say it's the biggest active, which i don't doubt, but I'm sorry, I don't follow this stuff as closely, or passionately, as you...

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 11:53 PM
link   
a reply to: AstronautCliffTarpey

I neither confirm nor deny Spamgate.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 12:06 AM
link   
a reply to: NewzNose The truth is in the can. The key is spot welded to the bottom. Snap off key, slot and unfurl the possibility of fried brown sugar heaven.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Yes, Yellowstone supervolcano is in fact the largest ACTIVE volcano on earth.

It is worth noting also that the volcano in Hawaii isnt of the same construct, and will erupt, but it is more lava than explosions.

The Yellowstone volcano has a large chamber below it half filled with gasses and the other half filled with semi solidified mateŕial. Below that chamber is an even larger chamber filled with molten lava. When the lower chamber starts to feed the upper chamber, explosive pressures build up. That will cause the massive explosion that everyone has been waiting for.

But it isnt like that in Hawaii. Mostly you will just get lava ejection and flows.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 04:38 AM
link   
I cannot understand why GOD would pick this planet to put his chosen people on, volcanic eruptions, Tsunamis, hurricanes, blizzards, heatwaves, sandstorms, droughts, floods, earthquakes, pandemics, meteorite strikes, solar flares, wars, wars, wars, more wars, lightning strikes, forest fires, dangerous animals, insects, fish, and birds, oh dear, I am now frightening myself...

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Actually neither Yellowstone or Mauna Loa, I am going to say Lake Toba is in fact the largest active volcano on Earth. I am deeply sorry for all of the bruised egos who have posted on this thread. Toba is anything but dead and it is being monitored daily.
truth be told it wouldnt surprise me in the least if Toba blows big again, sometime in the next 200 years and i aim to live long enough to witness it . lmfao bring on human immortility

top topics

<<   2 >>

join