It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: HUGE 8.3 Earthquake Strikes Chile (Updated)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Unfortunately, some casualty reports are beginning to come in:

At least 3 dead in 8.3-magnitude earthquake off coast of central Chile

SANTIAGO, Chile — A powerful 8.3-magnitude earthquake struck off Chile’s coast on Wednesday, triggering a tsunami alert and coastal evacuations. At least three people were killed President Michelle Bachelet said. The victims included a 35-year-old woman who was killed by a falling roof, a 20-year-old woman who was killed by falling rocks and a man in his 80s who had a heart attack, Bachelet said.

Chilean National Police spokesman Oscar Llanten told CNN sister network CNN Chile at least seven people were injured in the quake,, three of whom are in serious condition.

kdvr.com...

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 11:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: crappiekat
I would love to hear what TA thinks about this.

TA, Where are you??

Was at work when it hit, so couldn't respond.

But yeah, I'll tell you exactly what I thought yesterday, when I saw this quake hit out on the East Pacific Rise:

I thought "Uh oh, Chile's about due, and those quakes out there have been warnings before." I just didn't want to post it really.

If you look at all the ones in yellow there (before the 8.3) up and down the coast, and even to the right of the 8.3- no one can say that earth didn't warn us. We just can't tell when they are warnings or not. This time they were.

What's worse, is NEVER, particularly on THAT coast, EVER let down the guard. I hate to say it, but that could be a foreshock. In Chile, anything goes. Now the aftershock sequence would suggest it is not a foreshock- but this is Chile we are talking about- the site of the largest earthquake ever recorded at 9.5 in 1960. All bets are off. We just never know there. I wish them luck when that zone starts moving.

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 12:22 AM
link   
I have the rig up and live, and have measured the actual seismic data from the 8.3. This gives me a measurement stick, basically. So if a larger one does hit, I'll know it immediately. Let's hope to God not. But it's scary watching that fault pound out quake after quake, non stop. It's got my spectro looking pretty damn RED.

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 12:37 AM
link   
I think it is the end of days...

Wait we are talking Chile... 8.3 is kind of normal for that place...

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Apologies if this has been posted, but the tsunami risk seems to have reduced thank goodness.

EVALUATION

BASED ON ALL AVAILABLE DATA A MAJOR TSUNAMI IS NOT EXPECTED TO
STRIKE THE STATE OF HAWAII. HOWEVER...SEA LEVEL CHANGES AND
STRONG CURRENTS MAY OCCUR ALONG ALL COASTS THAT COULD BE A HAZARD
TO SWIMMERS AND BOATERS AS WELL AS TO PERSONS NEAR THE SHORE AT
BEACHES AND IN HARBORS AND MARINAS. THE THREAT MAY CONTINUE FOR
SEVERAL HOURS AFTER THE INITIAL WAVE ARRIVAL.

THE ESTIMATED TIME OF ARRIVAL OF THE INITIAL WAVE IS

0311 AM HST THU 17 SEP 2015

FURTHER MESSAGES WILL BE ISSUED HOURLY OR SOONER AS CONDITIONS
WARRANT UNTIL THE THREAT TO HAWAII HAS PASSED.

Linky ptwc.weather.gov...
edit on 17/9/15 by OpenEars123 because: Forgot link

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 04:26 AM
link   
My Guess was accurate with respect to location- Southern /West Coast Americas and above 7.0+

However the time was not correct, Hmmm back to to drawing board.

Underground lava Wave patterns are hard to predict!!!
see thread below!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Cheers

edit on 17-9-2015 by TheJesuit because: link

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Just thought I would post this thread made by TA regarding Chile and earthquakes.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Some interesting information. Good read! Alot of good information from some of the great minds here.
edit on 17-9-2015 by crappiekat because: to add

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 06:46 AM
link   
A large trembler, followed by swarms of little ones is a good thing. The stuck fault is let go and now the rest of the plate is moving, catching up, relieving pressure.

Chile is a subduction zone, expect big things there.

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I hope the Chileans are prepared for the aftershocks, it might not be over yet.

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Been reading elsewhere that there may be a very large tsunami incoming at NZ from this. Buoys in event mode, can anyone confirm? Looks like 25m swell...?!?

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 09:22 AM
link   
www.ndbc.noaa.gov...

Am I reading this wrong? Sorry, not an expert.

Anyone with more experience can verify?

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueAmerican

I have a feeling things are going to go pop out there...

As you said anything goes its Chile afterall... Watch the waves...

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Just a question... Likely for TA, but why is it when the EQ happens (like yesterday's) am I only seeing tsunami warnings for Hawaii?? Wouldn't the warning be for anyone up and along the coast, and out towards the Pacific?? I just don't get why I always see the warnings or "heads up" for Hawaii, but I rarely see it for the other places that may have been affected (or could be) from this EQ...
edit on 17-9-2015 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   
There were all kinds of tsunami warnings for areas throughout the pacific.

www.tsunami.gov...
edit on 17-9-2015 by AlexanderM because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: jhn7537

Ever since the Indonesian Tsunami in '04 officials have been reactive rather than being proactive.

Chile has suffered some of the most powerful quakes in history in the past, yet there were no Tsunami warnings. But after Indonesia all of a sudden there were tsunami warnings.

edit on 17-9-2015 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-9-2015 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: jhn7537

I believe there were immediate local tsunami warnings in Chile itself. Videos are already on youtube of the small tsunamis and flooding that DID hit there. And it's not like the people in Chile need them much at this point. A big quake hits like that- and it's pretty well known to get the hell away from the coast FAST.

People need to keep in mind that for other areas, tsunami warnings are estimates. Best practice is if there is a massive quake anywhere in the Pacific over 8.0, then stay clear of the water for a while.

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: InnerPeace2012
Some videos being uploaded on youtube

News is Chilean language no idea what there saying...

my spanish is a bit rusty, but its somewhat similar to portuguese so here goes. the news are saying that an earthquake, a stronger quake then they are used to there in chile hit the central part of the country. They are telling people to keep calm, don't panic and avoid closed spaces and go to open spaces where's safer.
edit on 17-9-2015 by Picollo30 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueAmerican

Any chance there is a larger one coming in the next few days there? They seem to be getting a lot of 5 and 6 quakes now....

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   
can these huge quakes shift the Earth's axis?

hope it stays like this and no life is taken. People should avoid the coastal areas as much as possible to avoid a tragedy like the Indonesian tsunami in 2004 where everyone was taken by surprise.

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Ragged Point California is on an advisory atm, nothing too scary but still people need to stay away from the water.

linky

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join