It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Petition To Munich: 'Ban the Intolerant and Anti-Islamic event of Oktoberfest'. Real or Fake?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I question this...and there is, apparently, some debate as to wheter or not this petition is legitimate.

So, I'm asking any ATS German members...and any ATS Muslim members...or ATS members with relatives in Munich, who may have heard something of this.

Have you heard of this?

Is this genuine?

How do you feel about this, if it is true?

Apparently, the petition has received 500 signatures...but there is still some question as to whether or not it is genuine. Still, the story is beginning to make the rounds of radio and print media.

Personally, this feels false to me...and I can't imagine Germany would ever seriously consider cancelling something so traditional to it's national history and culture.

Mods, feel free to move to another forum or to eventually move it the hoax bin if this turns out to be false.

THE PETITION:

Ban the Intolerant and Anti-Islamic event of Oktoberfest

Dear City council of Munich,

I am writing this letter to bring to your attention something that I
and many Muslims believe is unfair and requires attention. I would like to inform you that the Oktoberfest is an Intolerant and Anti-Islamic event. We tried to ignore the event, but there too many Un-Islamic acts done at the Oktoberfest. Such as alcohol consumption, public nudity etc.

We understand that the Oktoberfest is a yearly German tradition, but we, Muslims, can not tolerate this Un-Islamic event, because it offends us and all Muslims on the earth. We are requesting the immediate cancellation of the upcoming Oktoberfest event.

We also believe that the Oktoberfest might also offend all the Muslim refugees coming from Syria, Iraq,
Afghanistan. The cancellation of the Oktoberfest event will help refugees not to forget their Islamic history. Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Sincerely,

Morad Almuradi

www.change.org...
www.theamericanmirror.com...

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I would have to believe this is false.

And if true, I can't see Germany even giving this a second thought.

Wouldn't Germans giving up Oktoberfest be the equivalent of us giving up our right to bear arms?

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   
It could just be some yellow journalism designed to inflame public anger against Merkel.
Either way, Germany would never give in to a demand such as this.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   
With all the hoax bs coming out from right wing outlets I'm gonna call it fake, but the point is it's just more propaganda against Muslims which suits the current climate. Anyone can make a petition and sign it with an Islamic sounding name

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

I agree it could be a hoax...but it has been out since this morning and still hasn't been debunked yet.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
With all the hoax bs coming out from right wing outlets I'm gonna call it fake, but the point is it's just more propaganda against Muslims which suits the current climate. Anyone can make a petition and sign it with an Islamic sounding name

Of course it's BS but even if it is real.... so what?
Anyone can organise a petition or write a letter, it doesn't mean that all members of that faith agree and doesn't mean that any change will happen.

As you say... it's obvious this is just more anti-islamic crap.
Just like calling all of the refugees terrorists just so people don't have to care about them....

Crazy times dude.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT I guess it would be about tracking down the person who put the petition together, which could be anyone, including nationalist extremists

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: blupblup that's the point of these threads and articles from idiots like Alex Jones. Make it sound like a concerned question, while knowing damn well it's a fake

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

I have been looking for any Internet references to this Morad Almuradi...and can't find anything.
Articles say he lives in Netherlands. Where that particular piece of info comes from, I do not know.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Germans giving up oktoberfest???? HAHAHA they would sooner adopt the easter bunny as a national mascot!!!

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   
It would be intolerant and anti-bavarian to ban the Oktoberfest

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I suppose the larger question is do Muslims really find Oktoberfest offensive?

Yes, there's drinking and scantily-clad women associated with it...and I can see how this might be something many Muslims might want to avoid... but I've never heard of any objections from the Muslim community about any other Oktoberfests before.

This feels manufactured to coincide with the timing of influx of refugees and the yearly occurence of Oktoberfest in Munich.

edit on 16-9-2015 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   

This have to be a false thing, I love October fest darn is all, fun, games and beer, at least here in my neck of the woods, Helen GA have a small German village.

So they better don't even try this here if is true.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   

September 1980

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   
The petition is closed, probably by the site owners. It's only making a farce of the site anyway, never mind that it is supposed to be a Dutch guy, or someone living there that started it. More crap to wade through.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   
This is all there is about Morad Almuradi:
www.change.org...

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   

If it was offensive the state of Michigan already would have some problems with Octoberfest here as they do have a big german community "Frankenmuth", along with the muslim.

So I guess is not going to happen here in the US.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
I suppose the larger question is do Muslims really find Oktoberfest offensive?

Yes, there's drinking and scantily-clad women associated with it...and I can see how this might be something many Muslims might want to avoid... but I've never heard of any objections from the Muslim community about any other Oktoberfests before.

This feels manufactured to coincide with the timing of influx of refugees and the yearly occurence of Oktoberfest in Munich.

Which Muslims? There's more than 1.6 BILLION of us. Surely you don't think we all think alike, do you? That's roughly as many people as North America, South America, and Europe combined. Just imagine the diversity of ideas w/that many people.

So yeah, there are probably some that are offended by it. Just as there are probably some Christians and Buddhists offended by it. We're just people. We have individual personalities, likes, dislikes, etc.

Personally, I don't care one way or another. It's no different than any other non-Islamic celebration to me. I'm not going to attend an Oktoberfest because it has nothing to do with me. But I'm not against other people attending or holding the events. It's literally no different than a normal night at a nightclub or bar to me. (Though I may attend an Oktoberfest before I die since I like to see different cultures in their true states. But I won't partake in the specific actions because I just like to observe those things.)

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Intolerant...?

Oktoberfest? Seriously?

That's like saying Mardi Gras is intolerant...

If this is real, it's real stupid.

top topics

join