It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parents Concerned Over Religious Curriculum In TN 7th Grade Public School Class

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 05:51 AM
link   
So it seems the parent was over reacting to a non issue.

From what she says she is obviously anti Islam and so reacted in the way she did without even asking the school.
edit on 16-9-2015 by Nexttimemaybe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 05:52 AM
link   
LOL - they will NEVER teach them all, otherwise they will have to explain the basic tenets of Rastafarianism, and that will be quite awkward to explain to an impressionable young mind without the control freaks in charge of the political-correction train having a brain-fart-seizure.

"And now class...............this is a Rasta - as a fundamental, they believe in the Judeo-Christian God, whom they call Jah. There is an emphasis on Old Testament laws and prophecies and the Book of Revelation. A Rastafarians lifestyle usually includes ritual use of marijuana, avoidance of alcohol, the wearing of one's hair in dreadlocks, and vegetarianism"

Let's get together and we'll feel alright....one love.....

Like I said, awkward.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 05:56 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

I just find it odd that any mention of Christianity in schools sends liberals/left wingers in to fits, but they are the first to defend Islam in schools. WTF?

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 06:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ignatian
a reply to: undo

You obviously were either poorly educated, or indoctrinated with lies, because literally every statement made in your post about The Catholic Church is blatantly false. None of it is true.

The Catholic Church, started by Jesus Christ, is the single greatest "institution" that has ever existed in human history. (ironically, a sysytem for schooling children? Instituted by The Catholic Church). Virtually every single positive aspect of modern humanity can be traced back in some way to Jesus' church, The Catholic Church.

Heaven forbid we actually ask a 7th grader to start thinking on a deeper level, that is, to start thinking spiritually. Here would be my first lesson, and it should be drummed into their heads for those 3 weeks..."You're ALL going to die some day....what's next ?"

"Wisdom is vindicated by all her children"..... (if you went to a government, errr, public school, in the USA in the last 50 years, you may need to look this up to see what it means, google it:-)

Jesus started the Catholic church? When you take into account things such as Pharisees, saducees, essenes, and even things like Nazarene church teachings I had no clue the Catholic church was even on his mind. Learn something new everyday

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 06:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Reallyfolks

Well, considering Jesus IS God, I assume he's got a lot on his mind, being omniscient and all.

Yes, Jesus knew he'd be leaving soon, so what is reasonable? Of course, leave something behind, a legacy...something, someone to continue the message. The Way. So using reason, how would he accomplish this? Well, start a church, of course. So, he appointed 12 apostles (the first bishops), and appointed a leader of those bishops, and the new church., Saint Peter (the first pope).

There are writings from these early bishops, and their successors. Writings from people who lived concurrently with some of the original 12, were taught by them. In these writings, they refer to the new church of Christians, as The Catholic Church. This is documented fact. I hope you've learned something new today.

The Catholic Church IS the church started by Jesus Christ. The church mentioned in Mathew 16. "I will build my church". Jesus' words, not mine.

To crack on The Catholic Church, is to crack on the mystical body of Christ. Good luck with that. We've been hearing it for 2000 years.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 07:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ignatian
a reply to: Reallyfolks

Well, considering Jesus IS God, I assume he's got a lot on his mind, being omniscient and all.

Yes, Jesus knew he'd be leaving soon, so what is reasonable? Of course, leave something behind, a legacy...something, someone to continue the message. The Way. So using reason, how would he accomplish this? Well, start a church, of course. So, he appointed 12 apostles (the first bishops), and appointed a leader of those bishops, and the new church., Saint Peter (the first pope).

There are writings from these early bishops, and their successors. Writings from people who lived concurrently with some of the original 12, were taught by them. In these writings, they refer to the new church of Christians, as The Catholic Church. This is documented fact. I hope you've learned something new today.

The Catholic Church IS the church started by Jesus Christ. The church mentioned in Mathew 16. "I will build my church". Jesus' words, not mine.

To crack on The Catholic Church, is to crack on the mystical body of Christ. Good luck with that. We've been hearing it for 2000 years.

We will agree to disagree I guess cracking on the church and religion is not a crack on Jesus or God or Allah or any higher power. The fact is these @sshats through their own actions have corrupted everything. These relious leaders are no more special in the eyes of God or Allah or whoever else. They think they are, they deem themselves to be. But they are no better and are no more faithful than people who skip the bs these middle men peddle and go straight to the source.

God didn't tell these people to rape little boys, Allah doesn't tell these people to suicide bomb. Faith and higher powers and even Jesus is God isn't the problem. It's the scumbags in these religions that are including the Catholic church.

If people feel there is some spiratual hierarchy and these people are special and deemed worthy to be middle men so be it. Have at it. I think these people and churches are useless and criminal. Then again I don't need middle men to be faithful. I'll go to the source.

But cracking on the churches, the self proclaimed religious leaders, or religion in general is not in fact cracking on God or Jesus or any other higher power. They can't help what these @aahats have done with this mess.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 07:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
You can teach that Islam is the faith of the many Middle Eastern countries without teaching the actual tenets of that faith.

It seems they feel that most kids are automatically going to church and getting the Christian stuff, so they must compensate by presenting the Muslim stuff. I think that's a mistake.

If they need to make this a standard, then create an elective called comparative religions and teach them all there.

Ket, I'm actually going to agree with you for once. I think this is EXACTLY what is going on. It is a terrible assumption on the school's part.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Ignatian

i do apologize for offending you, that was not my intent, but if someone gets accused of things they didn't do, for example you didn't do the inquistion or the crusades, even though you're catholic. and i didn't do those things either. wasn't even born yet and not a catholic either. but in history in public school, they often don't/didn't separate it, as a result all christian religions are blamed for the inquistion and the crusades and are still blamed for them today, hundreds of years later. half of those christian faiths being accused were actually victims of the inquisition but are blamed for the inquistion in public schools today. you can't make this # up.

edit on 16-9-2015 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Iamthatbish

how the material is presented rather than the material being presented at all.

Of course then you have no problem with this...

the Muslim profession of faith which was contained in a foldable teaching material.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Parents like this are why the world is full of ignorant, bigoted, hateful, intolerant morons.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Ignatian

Writings from people who lived concurrently with some of the original 12, were taught by them. In these writings, they refer to the new church of Christians, as The Catholic Church.

There was only one apostole James the Just - Paul (Saul of Tarsus) was an usurper - false prophet, the Roman Catholic Church has no claim to any succession to Jesus

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Answer
Parents like this are why the world is full of ignorant, bigoted, hateful, intolerant morons.

No fan of religion myself, but on the grand scale this parent is the least of the reasons. I'm happy to see parents actually looking in and taking an interest in what their children are being taught.

On the whole bigoted, racist, intolerant level I would place her in any higher category than those upset by the word God in the pledge or those getting upset with merry Christmas. World is full of stupid intolerant people. Not really seeing it here, except she seems to have said Christianity was bypassed when it was delayed.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I used to bash Christians back in my college days. I wrote disparaging opinion pieces about Campus Crusade for Christ and other organizations that went around proselytizing and annoying the student body. Back then there weren't a lot of people speaking up against Christianity.

Fast forward to today. The tables have turned. Now it is the cool thing to do to attack Christians. I have actually done a complete 180 on how I am today Vs. back then. Christians are being targeted and attacked by the Establishment and Atheists. Now I feel like it has gone too far.

My point is that it is cool to attack Christians, but racist or bigoted to attack other religions. Our society was wrong to bully and attack gays and other minorities. Now it is wrong again for attacking Christians. It shouldn't be okay to make fun of any group of people.

Anyway, any religion can be taught in schools as long as it isn't Christianity. My daughter was taught Islam, Judaism and Buddhism in school, but not Christianity. Why is that?
edit on 2015/9/16 by Metallicus because: Corrected Spelling Error Only

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
I used to bash Christians back in my college days. I wrote disparaging opinion pieces about Campus Crusade for Christ and other organizations that went around proselytizing and annoying the student body. Back then there weren't a lot of people speaking up against Christianity.

Fast forward to today. The tables have turned. Now it is the cool thing to do to attack Christians. I have actually done a complete 180 on how I am today Vs. back then. Christians are being targeted and attacked by the Establishment and Atheists. Now I feel like it has gone too far.

How political was Christianity back then?

And I was Republican, back then, until they went insane and became the party of the Christian Right Wing.

Christians are losing control and dominance of America, as they should. They're not being persecuted.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

My daughter was taught Islam, Judaism and Buddhism in school, but not Christianity. Why is that?

What did her teacher say when you asked?

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Well,

1. Someone had already made that jab in the thread about Tennessee, and having in-laws there, it is very religion heavy.

2. I can just see some teacher new to the area deciding that it's part of their mission in life to "educate them some Bible Belt hicks" in precisely this way because as we all know ... if it comes from flyover, it must be ignorant and bigoted.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Well,

1. Someone had already made that jab in the thread about Tennessee, and having in-laws there, it is very religion heavy.

I'm confused, which jab are you referring to here? Something I said?

2. I can just see some teacher new to the area deciding that it's part of their mission in life to "educate them some Bible Belt hicks" in precisely this way because as we all know ... if it comes from flyover, it must be ignorant and bigoted.

Maybe, I could see someone having an opinion like that. Pure conjecture though.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   

No, not you, Someone early on didn't see a problem with them skipping the Christianity chapter because it's not like there is no religion at all in Tennessee.

Mockingbird actually.
edit on 16-9-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Well we can't all be winners can we?

I've always tried to make it clear that I have no problems with teaching religion as long as it isn't being preached. History of Christianity SHOULD be taught too since the last 2000 or so years of European history deals with it intimately. By that same token, history of Islam should be taught when speaking about the Middle East or Medieval Spain. History of Judaism should be thrown into that mix as well to show how they had to interact with those other two religions (hint: not very well. Heck Judaic oppression is one of the reasons that the stereotype of the Jewish bankers running the world exists).

I love history and I HATE when people try to hide parts of it from students for "their protection".
edit on 16-9-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   

I would like it if we had a comparative religions class. I think people would do better in a pluralistic society if we all had a basic idea of what others believed.

For example, I am not against Islam having studied it after 9/11. I mistrust the motives of its more extreme Middle Eastern expressions which tend to be the more common vocal expressions you run across thanks to oil money.

But I wouldn't know what I know about it had I not taken my own initiative to study it as a teacher with Muslim students post 9/11. I could wish we had more Jews on this forum, but it is easy to see why we don't. Similarly, I think Buddhists and others would likewise enrich us. Buddhist thought are not terribly dissimilar from Christian ones from some interactions I've had in the past.

Still this is what comparative religion would teach. How close we are and can be even when we are still so different.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join