It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ben Carson Gaining On Leader In GOP Presidential Polls

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Now I'm not what you'd call a Carson fan, but I felt that this should be posted just because it's not exactly good news for Donald Trump (who I think needs to exit this race ASAP).

One day before the second Republican presidential debate, Ben Carson is pulling nearly even with GOP front-runner Donald Trump, according to a new New York Times/CBS News poll.

The retired neurosurgeon has jumped to 23 percent in the poll to be released Tuesday evening. That's a significant bump up from an August CBS poll that showed the candidate at just 6 percent. Trump continues to lead the field with 27 percent, up 3 percentage points from the previous poll.

I don't know much about Carson's campaign; so I'd be grasping at straws if I tried to explain why this is the case. If anyone responding to this thread would like to fill everyone in, I'd appreciate it. I'm just glad that Trump's steam is starting to level out. Other candidates are figuring out how to get by in spite of his obnoxiousness.

Another fun thing I want to point out from this article:

While Carson has gained, Jeb Bush and Scott Walker have experienced the greatest loss of support in the poll. Bush has fallen from 13 percent to 6 percent, and Walker has dropped from 10 percent to just 2 percent.

Bush, I'm not surprised about. I can't seem to find many people who actually support him. Most appeared just resigned to vote for him originally because he was the least crazy Republican candidate when the race started. I'm really happy about Walker though. Some of you may have seen my thread yesterday on him, but I've also authored others that target him. The man is a loon and I'm glad that the polls are starting to show that other people agree with me.

One last thing that needs to be pointed out about these poll threads:

The NYT/CBS News poll also found that only 37 percent of Republican voters have decided which candidate they will vote for; the majority, 63 percent, have yet to make up their minds.

These findings underscore that few Americans are paying attention this early on in the race, making primary polls less predictive of the final outcome.

We have a long way to go. As we've seen the polls have been all over the place. So just because someone you dislike is low in the polls or someone you like is high in the polls is no reason to celebrate nor is the reverse a good reason to despair yet. We have a LONG way to go. The roller coaster ride has only just started.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   
There's a wonderful movie out called 'Gifted Hands'...starring Cuba Gooding Jr. as Ben Carson. It was done in the early 2000's.
It gives a great deal of background on Dr. Carson's career as a surgeon...as well as his inspiring story.
I saw it for the first time the other night.

It's worth a watch, if you'd like to learn more about who Dr. Carson really is.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Bush, I'm not surprised about. I can't seem to find many people who actually support him.
Bush support seems to me to be a complete fabrication. I have yet to come across a single person that I know that has said that he is their guy.

(I know, I know, my personal experiences don't constitute any kind of proof. I'm just saying.....)

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   
let's keep this in perspective.....it's September of 2015, more than a year out from the election.....Trump has approx. 27% of the vote, that means 73% would vote for someone else....Carson has approx. 19%, of the vote, that means 81% would vote for someone else...and this is JUST for republicans.....it's a long way off to winning an actual presidential election when you combine democrats, republicans, and independents.....so, this is a yawn factor, which the media companies are trying desperately to keep as many "eyes" tuned in to their programming.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

Yea, same for Hillary. Like I said, most of their support seems to come from people just resigning themselves to pick them because they are the least bad choice. Though, then again, most of the people I have experience talking to this about are ATSers (since I try to avoid political conversations in face to face conversations).

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   
The numbers are pointless right now. We'll see how things look after the next debate.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Answer

They'll still be pretty pointless after the debate too. Though, there is nothing wrong with keeping an eye on them since that is our only way to gauge people's opinions on the race at this point in time.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   
New York Times/CBS News polls are probably bogus, most people don't even know who Ben Carson is....

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Dr. Carson is a political outsider much like Trump. He also is a good person if you know anything about him. He made his money helping people and is more likable than Trump.

Also, if you say anything bad about him you are a racist!

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   
He reminds me of the guy on the ole tv show benson.

Everybody loved that show!

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

He's no libertarian, that's for sure but, he's probably the best man of the lot.

We just just need to sit him down with some economists to set him straight on the details, not an impossible task since he has the basics.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: eluryh22

Though, then again, most of the people I have experience talking to this about are ATSers (since I try to avoid political conversations in face to face conversations).

Then you're missing out on some good facial expressions from the 'someone else.'

The funny thing about your comment is that I'm more understanding and tolerant when discussing politics in person--when I discuss them online, I think I assume that everyone has done their homework on a candidate or political party and understands what they're talking about. Often, I'm proven wrong.

Very often.
edit on 15-9-2015 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

I'm actually a pleasant person to be around in person because my personal conversation rules are not to discuss the following two topics because they always lead to trouble and angry people: religion and politics. You may notice that I talk about both of those topic a lot on these forums; that's why. I gotta vent somehow.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Interesting. I just read on wikipedia that there will be two debates. An undercard and a main event.

I'll be too busy watching South Park reruns in anticipation for season 19's premiere at 9 edt.

Ben Carson? The black one? Gaining ground with the repubs? This campaign season has already been chock full o' nutso stuff...I'm a little excited and a little scared at those prospects.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   
People like Carson because he comes off as very humble and genuine. Also, people who know his background also realize that he is truly very accomplished professionally and came from humble beginnings. No one can question his intellectual capacity or accomplishments. However, I'm sure if he starts climbing higher, opposition research has probably already found some kid who died or whose surgery didn't go as well as desired to drag out to make it look like he was a hack surgeon.

Carson's strength is his weakness though imho. He just comes across as naive to me and too nice. I've always admired him even before 95% of the public knew anything about him, but I just can't see him getting down and dirty in a political fight. He seems to eager to please everyone. I also don't like his bible thumping.

Trump is popular because he isn't afraid to fight back. He says what everyone is thinking and could careless if he offends some milk toast lib at the New York Times. He comes across as an Alpha Male and people want that right now. They want leadership and someone who speaks to middle America. They are sick of people twisting words, compromising, and being politically correct. They want someone who isn't afraid to tell someone whether it is media or another world leader to go screw themselves. Despite his boorishness, people know he has been successful as a businessman and can get sh*t done.

The other candidates are too scripted so they come off like they are part of the machine that got us into this mess in the first place. This is why they are getting overshadowed.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Here's a short biography of the man.

Ben Carson.

I've been studying up on him, and I like much more of what I see, than I don't. For the moment, at least, he's my candidate.

This link gives a brief over view of his thoughts on various matters. Some are rather old, and he may have changed his views. Agree or disagree, this'll tell you a little bit about where he stands.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I think you may be selling him short if you think he's too nice. He doesn't respond in anger. Which, for someone who wants to be President, is a good thing, IMHO.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: Edumakated

I think you may be selling him short if you think he's too nice. He doesn't respond in anger. Which, for someone who wants to be President, is a good thing, IMHO.

I very well may be... just giving my impression after seeing numerous interviews. He simply does not come off as "presidential". He seems very meek. He could be the biggest a'hole in the room, but that is not how he comes off to me. To be Prez, you have to make tough decisions, be direct, unflinching, etc. In most of his interviews, he looks as if his eyes are closed.

What I do like about him though is that he does seem very logical in that he doesn't necessarily seem wedded to ideas if presented with facts that might contradict his position. I see the same with Trump.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

To be honest, my biggest complaint with Carson is his hypocritical stance on fetal tissue research. He DEFINITELY took advantage of it while a surgeon, but he is speaking out against it currently. This is likely a response to him trying to appeal to his voting demographic, but it worries me that he'd throw everything he worked on while a surgeon away to whore himself out to the masses like that.
edit on 15-9-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

So, assuming it ends up being Hillary Clinton vs. Ben Carson...Who gets your vote?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join