It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blocking other users posts.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I was wondering if there was anyway to block other users. By this I mean a way that I don't have to read posts by people I select to block.

As per t and c I will explain why.

There are some users on this site, I will name no names, that are blatant racists, bigots, sexists or just generally hateful people.

I understand freedom of speech and respect everybody's right to voice their opinion, no matter how disgusting or hateful.

However I think I also have a right to not read such speech. Now. I know some will say just don't read their posts, but that is impractical as your eyes will read whatever they see.

So does this block feature exist and I have just missed the button, or is it something that could be introduced on the site.

Many thanks and sorry if a similar request has been made inthe past.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Nexttimemaybe

We used to have an "ignore" feature, allowing us to block out some users.

I miss it too. I think a lot of us do.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 08:20 AM
link   
That feature existed at one time here.
It doesn't any more.
I actually think that we are better off seeing bad posts, rather than stick our heads in the ground and pretend that the people that write them don't exist

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 08:21 AM
link   

I just scratch out my eyes, it works for me when I don't want to be exposed to heretical viewpoints that challenge my preconceptions.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
That feature existed at one time here.
It doesn't any more.
I actually think that we are better off seeing bad posts, rather than stick our heads in the ground and pretend that the people that write them don't exist

I concur. Even though one may feel like smashing your keyboard in an effort to angrily retort... but then I always count to ten, step back and accept one mans view is another mans poison. But we should let the facts speak for themselves.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I don't think there is a feature, I've never seen it if there is. To be honest this site is all about debating, whether that be general light hearted banter or fierce, full on, all out verbal war. You need a thick skin here and I know some posts are terrible to read you've just gotta try and ignore them. If users were able to block other users here and there the forums would be a mess. I know there is an enemy function where you can add users you don't like or at least there used to be.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Yes. Its called overlooking. Akin to tolerance, to overlook something is to let it go on by, to let it flow off you like water off a ducks back. Or to refuse to let your ears catch on fire, plug them with fingers, head down, close eyes, and chant, La la la.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 08:29 AM
link   
The other members are correct. We used to have an ignore feature, but do not have one any longer.

ATS likes to foster discussion and learning and sometimes it is hard to do that if we block out other's viewpoints/opinions. We are aware that everyone will read something that is distasteful to them or even distasteful to many, but as long as it's not a T&C violation (Lacking tact or PC speech is not a violation), it deserves to stand as much as any other post.

As always, we do encourage people to alert posts that they feel are racist, or bigoted instead of replying to or ignoring them. We can't see everything. If they violate the T&C's they will be removed and nobody will have to read them.

But yeah... No ignore feature.
edit on 9/15/2015 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   
How do you expect to follow the flow of any thread, and participate? That should make for some interesting content on ATS.

Do you get to block people in real life? Co-workers? Ex-wives? Bosses? Asshat neighbors? We're supposed to be adults here.

edit on 9/15/2015 by Klassified because: gwammar

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Do you get to block people in real life? Co-workers? Ex-wives? Bosses? Asshat neighbors? We're supposed to be adults here.

If only that were possible.

(post by Poppcocked removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 08:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
How do you expect to follow the flow of any thread, and participate? That should make for some interesting content on ATS.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

I never liked that feature because it DID ruin the flow of the thread. Posting out of context always messes things up.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 08:40 AM
link   

I personally don't see the mods allowing those types of blatant posts to stand myself. I see those get removed with a quickness. So is it really that you don't want to see racist, sexist , hateful posts that the mods don't allow anyway, or that you don't want to see people who disagree with you regardless of logic and validity of what they are saying? Quickly label the posts and hateful, sexist, etc?

Not being mean or attacking you, it seems odd that someone would request to block content the mods don't allow anyway? Maybe rethink how you perceive opposing views? Plus practice how to respond when face to face with the same thing.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Poppcocked
POST REMOVED BY STAFF

Well THAT sure screwed the flow of the thread up....
edit on Tue Sep 15 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

It would be nice to block trash like that dont you think?

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Poppcocked

It would be nice to block trash like that dont you think?

The problem is that if you block the person then you never see what was said and could post out of context. Maybe a feature to block a specific post, but then it would have to be read in order to know to block it.

Seems a bit disingenuous to me to be able to block someone....if people don't want to engage someone else then they don't have to.

Either way...I just read over stuff I don't like or confront it head on....it isn't really a big deal unless words really CAN hurt you.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 08:49 AM
link   
If we could block other users' posts from showing up, the entire 9#11 forum would collapse. While I can definitely understand your point, I think seeing it all is necessary for this site to continue in it's present spirit. Debate cannot happen from only one side of the issue.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 08:50 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: tsurfer2000h

If only that were possible.

Alright. Ya got me. That does sound delightful. lol.

a reply to: Poppcocked

POST REMOVED BY STAFF

I'm from the bad side of the tracks. I've had a lot worse said to me.

Winner winner chicken dinner.
I never liked that feature because it DID ruin the flow of the thread. Posting out of context always messes things up.

You've been around long enough to remember what that was like. I can only imagine, but I think it would ruin ATS for me.
edit on Tue Sep 15 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: pfishy
If we could block other users' posts from showing up, the entire 9#11 forum would collapse. While I can definitely understand your point, I think seeing it all is necessary for this site to continue in it's present spirit. Debate cannot happen from only one side of the issue.

Sometimes I think it happens, even without an ignore button...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join