It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Customer Claims Religious Discrimination - Company Refuses to Print Fliers.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+17 more 
posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Source

Seems Office Depo POLICY prohibits the “persecution of people who support abortion rights.” So, when this woman was told she could use their machine to print her anti-Planned Parenthood paraphernalia, but she'd have to make the copies herself, she felt her religion being directly attacked. Because of course, the free exercise of religion includes having someone make offensive copies for you... Right?

Maria Goldstein, 42, said she was told to use the self-serve copy machines after employees at the Office Depot in Schaumburg refused to fulfill her order of 500 copies of “A Prayer for the Conversion of Planned Parenthood,” the Chicago Tribune reported.

Lady, you weren't discriminated against because of your religion. ANYONE would have been treated the same if they had brought in fliers that "persecute people who support abortion rights". This is about ABORTION, NOT religion. Not everything is about your religion.

Karen Denning, a spokeswoman for Office Depot, told The Tribune that company policy prohibits “the copying of any type of material that advocates any form of racial or religious discrimination or the persecution of certain groups of people. It also prohibits copying any type of copyrighted material.”

The material was discriminated against. Tomorrow, if Maria Goldstein brought in a flier that didn't persecute a group of people, I'm certain Office Depo would be glad to oblige. SHE was not discriminated against.
edit on 9/12/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

+15 more 
posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   
So tired of these religi-nazis whining about discrimination. Is it me or are they all getting a lot more annoying lately?

+15 more 
posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Jefferton

I think - Since the nation started feeling the religio-political creep of theocracy, and started pushing back a little to delineate that boundary between church and state, the "church" side hasn't been so happy. They feel like they're losing control and power. And it drives them to extremes.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

This is getting ridiculous, but I feel not yet ridiculous enough.

I'm tempted to get a retail or service job just so I can deny service to someone based upon race or sexual orientation, or simply because I don't like their shoes or haircut. Create a taxi service, or apply to uber and then refuse to give rides to Asians, or white...

I can claim "religious" freedom and just cause a ridiculous stink.

Maybe more people should start doing this, even if they don't truly believe it, just to make the point at how ridiculous it actually is becoming.

People need to quit whining and being mean to each, they need to stop attention-whoring and thinking everything is about them.

Save me from the human race, please?

+3 more 
posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

I don't think we've seen ridiculous yet. There is a lot of passion behind the movement to convince government to "get religion". We're seeing some crazy stuff, but there's more to come, IMO.

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

I've been denied a Uber ride once, the Driver said "I don't drive F******" and i live in West Hollywood, though this was in Orange County where it happened

In 31 states people can get Denied services, housing, propety, jobs and fired just for being GLBTQ+

They didn't refuse services, they said she can Print them herself

+25 more 
posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   
America is literally embarrassing itself with all this nonsense

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I don't get how it's persecution for either party.

Statistics and prayer aren't persecution are they?
But they have the right to define persecution on their company's terms...

Edit: Graphic material... Right decision.

On the other side...
"Religious persecution"...
There's a saying that's gotten, very old... very fast.

Petty.

Edit: Why are these anti-abortionists so graphic in their verbiage...
Do they get a thrill out of it or something???
edit on 12-9-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   

It is me, or I see a big change within media propaganda to go from the last fat of racial issues and the black lives matter, to now another social issue and religious discrimination

I have to tell you Benevolent Herectic we have been played over and over by the media because ratings and propaganda makes profits.

Now we are on the religious discrimination fat.

I guess America has not stopped from been the land of opportunities, I am sure the women already have a lawyer and a law sue in the making.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   
by what I read in the article it had nothing to do about it being about abortion. it contained disturbing graphic images and well, can't remember the words they used but something similar to hate speech.
it's not discrimination of any kind if the policies are followed consistantly across the board.
I mean if a pro-choice supporter went in and wanted something equally graphic and equally hateful, well, they'd refuse them also. so, well, what can I say.
I've worked in printing companies, they refuse jobs alot, for many different reasons, none of which is discriminatory.

+4 more 
posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Like I said in the other thread, Office Depot not wanting to print these flyers is the same as a baker not wanting to decorate something offensive on a cake. Perfectly legal and perfectly acceptable, as long as all customers are told the same thing. If Office Depot refused this customer, but was willing to print the exact same flyers for a pro-life atheist group - THAT would be religious discrimination.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

Marge, I always love your fresh ideas. I agree - The election news is getting a little stale and we're on religious discrimination now, mostly because of the Supreme Court ruling on marriage.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   
This could get ridiculous or it already has

The so called Nation of Islam sect has as a major part of their dogma that the white man is the devil.

I don’t know if they still hold to such a crazy doctrine but if they did, and they did for many years, and some still do, this scenario is possible:

If they went out and started shooting white people or discriminating against them and justify it with:

“My faith teaches me that they are devils (and certainly a devil should be eliminated or persecuted) so by the constitution I can shoot white people and if you put me in jail I will claim religious persecution!

What’s the difference between this attitude and what Kim Davis is doing?

She denying gay people a right because her religion has a doctrine (according to her) that gays can’t marry

edit on 12-9-2015 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Darth_Prime

But they did refuse service: their service includes copy-making. While they allowed her the option of *self-service,* they nevertheless refused to perform the service themselves. Of course, their policy is the issue, and they have the right to a non-discriminatory policy, but

company policy that prohibits the “persecution of people who support abortion rights.”
is a pretty flimsy argument for *her* to claim persecution, and religious at that.

Sucks that people are so genuinely filled willed with hate and intolerance. We have the issues of businesses refusing to bake cakes for gay couples, but what if it was a restaurant refusing to serve a gay couple. Things would get ugly, fast. Hell, what if Chick fil a tried that?

It's just idiotic.

ETA: For the record, I'm not saying the company is right or wrong for refusal unless there is a valid reason that isn't discriminatory (such as with copyrighted images or obscene images, hence their policy) but that this lady is being overly and unjustifiably dramatic and attention-whoring.
edit on 12-9-2015 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   

I am so glad we can see the true face of propaganda and how is been manipulate to keep the people obfuscated and away from real political issues.

Still we should be very grateful that we still can talk about anything this days.

But I can not stop thinking that is religious war looming in the horizon or that is what is been pushed for all of us to believe.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   

I personally don't care if they refused to allow her to even print them at all just like I don't care if a baker refuses to make a gay cake or anything. You make decisions that will help your business model succeed. If that includes refusing certain services someone else will always be looking to get that business. Make your choices and go........yawn.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Haters!

Here's the link to the actual flyer, if anyone wants to see it: Flyer

edit on 9/12/2015 by Klassified because: add emo

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I feel like you are trying to have it both ways. There was nothing offensive about those fliers and nothing that was hateful towards anyone else. If anything the babies that are senselessly murdered are the ones that should be the issue here not the feelings of those that perform human sacrifice.

Anyway, I doubt this will go well for Office Depot. I know they don't need my business either and I am sure I am not the only one that will be going elsewhere going forward.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Reallyfolks

I personally don't care if they refused to allow her to even print them at all just like I don't care if a baker refuses to make a gay cake or anything. You make decisions that will help your business model succeed. If that includes refusing certain services someone else will always be looking to get that business. Make your choices and go........yawn.

You don't care because it doesn't personally affect you.

When it *does* personally affect you, you would care.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jefferton
So tired of these religi-nazis whining about discrimination. Is it me or are they all getting a lot more annoying lately?

Yep and it is some type of mental defect, IMO.
edit on 9/12/2015 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join