It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Quest for Perspective

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Hi all!
A long time lurker who finally decided to join the discussions, although I have more questions than facts and views to contribute.

Whatever it is that I think I know, I always try to question. Most of the time I see gray, not black and white on different issues. Whether it's dark gray or light gray is another matter... yeah, your typical fence sitter.

I only have a vague idea of what I believe in, which might sound pathetic or even dangerous and everything in between to others. I gave up seeking the Truth long ago, a random glimpse of it is enough for me to be grateful. I'm only on a quest for perspectives... To find new ways of looking at things and if possible, withholding judgements. To embrace the unknown and the unknowable and maybe find the limits of reason and imagination.

Heck! Pardon me, I tend to write like this when I'm not sober... so cheers to all!

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: MaxTamesSiva

Good questions are the first step to finding good answers; but sometimes you just have to settle for them leading you away from the bad answers. Welcome!

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Thanks. Glad to be a member of the tinfoil hat brigade... speaking of perspectives, maybe we should start to deny ignorance by studying it on-line for about 5 weeks?... as first baby steps?... No?

I'm not sure if it's for free or if it'll cost us 50 clams. Here's a link to the edX Course

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Hello and welcome to ya. Pleased to meet you I'm sure.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Welcome and fence sitting, to me, points to open-mindedness and a willingness to accept or entertain others' experiences, philosophies and spirituality, or to be open to discuss and/or join others' life's journeys without judgement - we can each learn from each other in this way.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Glad you're here, MaxTamesSiva

Kind of difficult to hold to a belief in anything when the goalposts keep shifting.
Watching people keep aiming for the old target... Thinking that they've scored...
Then again, a good belief system helps keep the dogs at bay.

Hope you find interesting & challenging discourse here.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Maybe Logic FTW

All I know is I know nothing. And I'm not even sure about that.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Thank you all. So many topics, where do I start? I guess I'll go back to lurking mode and research about ignorance.

If any of you can throw me a link about ignorance, it will be greatly appreciated. Anything and everything will do, from funny memes to videos, from famous quotes to obscure scholarly resources.

So far I found this:
chabad.org
books.google.com
firelink.monster.com

yeahright, could it be that knowledge most of the time stands on shaky ground?

Better dig in. Cheers!
edit on 09 11 2015 by MaxTamesSiva because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: yeahright

Wow! Thank you... I got traumatized by reading Sartre's Being and Nothingness long ago, it's where I first came across the word epistemology. I guess I have to man up and read through it. Cheers!

edit on 09 11 2015 by MaxTamesSiva because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   

There's some heavy lifting, but I don't think any study of ignorance is complete without grasping some concepts of epistemology.

I'll give you a Reader's Digest version:

Ho do you 'know' anything?
1- Reason
2- Authority
3- Experience

And/or any combination thereof.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: yeahright

Maybe Logic FTW

All I know is I know nothing. And I'm not even sure about that.

As per usual, spirituality or mysticism is left out of the knowing, or what we think we know, or don't know?

www.toi.edu...&%20Spiritl.htm
edit on 11-9-2015 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

top topics

join