It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America is not the greatest country in the world...

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
How can we take personal responsibility for what's wrong in this country when it wasn't the individual that caused the problems?

Obviously there are problems which aren't the direct responsibility of the average individual... I don't think anyone is suggesting we start blaming John Q. Public to a man for, say, the NSA's illegal domestic spying. However, if you want to have what could be a fairly deep discussion, I'd argue that the individual sense of self righteous entitlement and wanting something for nothing is exactly why we end up with the politicians we have. How many Obama voters were looking at "Ooh, free healthcare, free phones, he's even gonna pay my mortgage, Hallalujah!"

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Also true, but that is a very small amount of people. That still would not explain why we have the politicians we do today. Personally, I think it's a variety of things, but the only solution is to set aside our differences and stand together to pull the reigns back on a government and culture that will be the end of us.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Any problems like the NSA do, indeed, trace back to that very thing. An abrogation of our responsibility to take responsibility for our own fates.

If we're willing to allow our politicians to behave as they do, why are we surprised when they do? This puzzles me.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: truthseeker84

Ah, the youth of today....Ok-agreed. It may not be..."I saw it on tv! It MUST be true! It's all over Facebook! Its going viral!" Thats not the only thing all over F.B....no matter WHERE the source video originated. The whole world of countries aren't so great as a whole when we refer to F.B. and "going viral". (Cough, cough).

Facts. Details. F.B.? More solid and diverse references from a wide variety of source material needed. Not Facebook. Not YouTube videos. Not Wiki-anything...

It is important as to where we get our info...especially when a Simpson's cartoon is predicting the end of the world.....so when we read "on FaceBook..." we automatically disregard the possible legitimacy of the info...legit or not.

edit on 10-9-2015 by mysterioustranger because: splckr

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   
And I am only dismayed at the places we get our info from these days. Valid or not.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   
You could say the same of most western countries about the degradation of modern society. Shame but true. Unfortunately I cant lay the blame on the people. We vote for what we believe is the best, yet the politicians don’t seem to want what the people want. They tell us they do until they are voted in, they then break promises. Unfortunately, people still vote, even after all these decades of the same BS, people still vote for the big partys expecting 'this time will be better' Yet it never is. So I guess in that respect, I do blame the people. lol.
edit on 10-9-2015 by brancolinoxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   
It's probably already been said but this is old. It's already made it's rounds a few times. Pretty sure it's in here somewhere. America is the greatest country on earth. Thanks.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Uhm... last time I checked, "America" was not even a country... let alone the greatest.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I'm an Australian so I'm looking in from the outside, USA was the greatest country in the world but the people ruined it with there self titled arrogant Iam the centre of the universe antiquated BS!

I blame Kayne.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: truthseeker84

Jeff's character's last comment, where he mentions that the current generation is absolutely the worst generation ever period EVER! I couldn't agree more. It's not your fault though, not a 20 year old college kid's problems, but you guys are living in the absolute worst time in modern human history, where the previous generation completely destroyed your young minds.

I'm sure 100 years ago being an 8 year old working in a factory 16 hours a day for just enough to eat on was much better...

BTW what country is the best?

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 09:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Baddogma
Uhm... last time I checked, "America" was not even a country... let alone the greatest.

We are a republic of 50 states thank you very much...

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 10:03 PM
link   
"The Greatest Country" laughing out loud, but only at the mind that ponders such.....

All countries have their greatness. It's not a contest unless it's in someone's mind.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I grew up thinking the USA was the greatest nation on earth.

Then I learned some history and I started questioning that.

By the time I started traveling to other countries I fully understood that I grew up with a lot of propaganda.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

It's properly called The United States of America... that's the country's name... NOT "America."

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
That sort of Schlick would be laughed off stage in the UK and rightfully so. We know we are not the greatest country in the world and certainly don't have politicians quoting fictional characters like Forrest Gump at political rallies. No other country in the world has so much bravado bs.

With family like you, how couldn't we be great?

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Donald Trump wants to turn things around and, "Make America GREAT Again!".

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcalitybe thankful for what you've got.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
Donald Trump wants to turn things around and, "Make America GREAT Again!".

What does that actually mean. Everybody has a different view from their rose tinted glasses on the golden days. Nostalgia is a funny thing.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: truthseeker84

There is no such country called "america"

America is a continent(split into north ,south ,central america). USA is a country.

USA does have the best military in the world. But China has a larger economy.
edit on 11-9-2015 by John_Rodger_Cornman because: added content

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: John_Rodger_Cornman

Actually the USA is a corporation MASQUERADING as the sovereign nation it usurped

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join