It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

National Geographic Sold To Fox

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Relax everybody, Murdoch only got one copy and has locked himself in his bedroom with a box of Kleenex.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: jrod

Please do and keep us updated.

Kap.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: swanne
a reply to: Kapusta

Hm... It explains why National Geographic's shows has been very low in scientific accuracy and very high on sensationalism lately...

Lately?

Hi! I'm Ancient Aliens, and I'm looking at you ...

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Looking forward to watching the earth is only a few thousand years old documentarys already.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: swanne

Hm... It explains why National Geographic's shows has been very low in scientific accuracy and very high on sensationalism lately...

** THIS.

All the "Science" channels have gone that way.

Even TV for more educated people has gone into the trash.

The race to the bottom in the dumbing down of a nation continues at a breakneck pace.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nexttimemaybe
Looking forward to watching the earth is only a few thousand years old documentarys already.

Probably in production as we speak, along with "When Dinosaurs and Humans Shared the Earth", "Secrets of the Bible Code" and other b.s.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Contents
Exploring the Serengeti 1-15
Nazi teenage lesbian vampire bondage ordeal 15-20

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   
what a joke, those learning channels through in the towel 10 years ago.
Their shows are equivalent to E!, It really can't get much worse. Why did it happen? The internet opened learning for those that want to learn on demand. These stations changed to moving demographics, cant blame the execs.

This fearmongering is hillarious though. in reality its garbage buying garbage. TLC is such a bad perpetrator it should be sued for fradulent advertising. Fox is much closer to news than TLC is to learning.

Current listings for EST
History channel- Mountain Men
Nat Geo- Southern Justice
TLC- Cake Boss
Discovery- Naked and Afraid

omg what will we do without Southern Justice! Boycott FOX to save Southern Justice!
honestly cant tell if OP hasn't turned on TV or is trolling.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Something I find enormously hilarious about this thread is how much people are blaming Fox for the erosion of the science channels, and yet Fox has only just bought into Nat Geo. It's like you are see this has just happened and are retro-actively blaming them for the erosion in quality that occurred under other ownership.

That would be like me blaming Obama for our initial invasion of Iraq.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   

For Scientific accuracy, there is only one channel on TV that gives 100% truth 100% of the time, and ATS membership will agree with me.

Scroll down for your viewing pleasure...............

edit on 10-9-2015 by Sublimecraft because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   
So this deal was announced on Wednesday (yesterday for those that are unaware), and NOW we see posts lamenting the crappy shows it has aired for years as Murdoch's fault?

Pure hilarity...

Here's the deal:
Nat Geo has simply switched hands from liberal zealots, to not-quite-as-liberal zealots. There hasn't been anything trustworthy from National Geographic for decades, so no great loss here.

Ratings is what pays the bills, kids, and Rupert knows how to get the ratings.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Beartracker16

Only to find that there is no topless tribes in Scandinavia.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Well, now we have the reason. The content at NG has been steadily declining as of recent in scientific value, and they have delved into areas where they have never been before, including pseudo-scientific speculation. It will be interesting to see where this ultimately goes.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I have a bookshelf full of National Geographic magazines going all the way back to the mid 60's. I get a kick out of pulling them out every now and then reading through them.

Guess I'll be hanging on to to these little gems, it looks like they're going to be worth some good coin one day...

RIP National Geographic.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Ugh... what's next... the Monkey bachelorette? Was that show even on FOX?

All questions I don't care to have answered.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 10:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: ProfessorChaos
So this deal was announced on Wednesday (yesterday for those that are unaware), and NOW we see posts lamenting the crappy shows it has aired for years as Murdoch's fault?

Pure hilarity...

Here's the deal:
Nat Geo has simply switched hands from liberal zealots, to not-quite-as-liberal zealots. There hasn't been anything trustworthy from National Geographic for decades, so no great loss here.

Ratings is what pays the bills, kids, and Rupert knows how to get the ratings.

The difference of course is those "liberal zealots" at least cared about things like:

1. The Scientific Method.
2. Journalistic Credibility and Integrity
3. Basic fact checking.

We are turning quickly into a society where all forms of media cater to the lowest common denominator.

In 10 years there may be nothing for the person caught between crap like the stuff on "NatGeo" and "The Science Channel" and scholarly academic journals like Nature or Astrophysical Journal.
That will be a shame for everyone who isn't personally invested in Fox/Newscorp.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 10:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Something I find enormously hilarious about this thread is how much people are blaming Fox for the erosion of the science channels, and yet Fox has only just bought into Nat Geo. It's like you are see this has just happened and are retro-actively blaming them for the erosion in quality that occurred under other ownership.

That would be like me blaming Obama for our initial invasion of Iraq.

I'm not blaming fox but they certainly accelerated the "facts be damned ratings are the only thing that matter" culture.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Tonight on National Geographic: We will discuss the omnivorous Vulpes; a creature of mystique and cunning. Many stories of being "outfoxed" have been told around numerous campfires around the globe. As a misleading creature, it will lead you into a false sense of security and devour and feed off of you fear and ignorance... while maintaining the façade of security.

Don't miss tonight's National Geographic after Fox News expose on Iran and why you should fear them... coming up at 12.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Since 1888, the National Geographic Society has stood for science, discovery and storytelling. Its yellow-bordered magazine has served as the ultimate stage for award-winning photography, depicting the wonders of the world, and the group has supported pursuits as diverse as the underwater explorations of Jacques-Yves Cousteau and Jane Goodall’s study of chimpanzees in Tanzania.

Well people.

In 1888 the primary use a national geographic magazine was toilet paper.

Cause the real thing was a rarity.

Back to demagoguing Murdoch.
edit on 10-9-2015 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 01:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: JadeStar
We are turning quickly into a society where all forms of media cater to the lowest common denominator.

Well, that would describe the general audience.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join