It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

National Geographic Sold To Fox

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Since 1888, the National Geographic Society has stood for science, discovery and storytelling. Its yellow-bordered magazine has served as the ultimate stage for award-winning photography, depicting the wonders of the world, and the group has supported pursuits as diverse as the underwater explorations of Jacques-Yves Cousteau and Jane Goodall’s study of chimpanzees in Tanzania.

Now, the nonprofit organization plans to continue that mission, backed by the Murdoch media empire.

In a deal announced on Wednesday and valued at $725 million, the National Geographic Society and 21st Century Fox are creating a for-profit joint venture that encompasses the National Geographic Channels cable television group along with National Geographic’s other properties. That includes its magazine and other print publications, studios, digital media, maps, children’s media, travel, licensing and e-commerce.

Fox will own 73 percent of the new venture, called National Geographic Partners, and the National Geographic Society will own 27 percent. The two owners will have equal representation on the board and share governance.

Apparently NG made this deal because of funding issues .

My gut feeling is that we are going to see a serious change in NG . Sad really....

Not much more I can say.

NY Times
edit on 06/17/2015 by Kapusta because: (no reason given)

And this pic just because.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 05:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Kapusta

Hm... It explains why National Geographic's shows has been very low in scientific accuracy and very high on sensationalism lately...

+7 more 
posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Well that's National Geographic losing all credibility, validity and respect.

Shame.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 05:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: and14263
Well that's National Geographic losing all credibility, validity and respect.

Shame.

It's a damn shame, I really enjoy watching Nat Geo, oh well.

I hope he doesn't buy History 2 as well..That'll be tha day I sell my TV.

edit on 10-9-2015 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Future National Geographic narration;

"As the innocent elephant is hoarding the water hole, the evil donkeys are plotting on how to steal the water from him as migrant vultures from the neighboring country are landing in droves...."

Ghost

+3 more 
posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 05:46 AM
link   
On behalf of all Australians I would like to apologise for sending you Rupert Murdoch.

I sincerely mean that from the bottom of my heart. He stuffed our countries media, now he's stuffed yours too.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Everything is slanted, everything and everyone has bias. Nothing new under the sun different master same message.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 06:27 AM
link   
a reply to: InnerPeace2012

It's those brilliant thick yellow A5 magazines you buy when you're waiting in departures. I imagine they'll be full of dramatised sob stories of animals being animals etc. once Murdoch murders them.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Reports on the territorial wildlife of Benghazi, the limits of private servers, a fold-out map of "The Gay", and the false claims of climate change await coverage in National Geographic. "Glaciers, Nature's Cold Storage or Your Public Freezer' and 'Animals in the Wild: "Get Off My Land" Say the Timber Companies" will even be made into Fox specials!
edit on 10-9-2015 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 06:50 AM
link   
F'ing Disgraceful

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Looking forward to their Creationism 'documentaries' now

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 07:18 AM
link   

I was wondering why they were hiring.

+7 more 
posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Is this the same Nat Geo that airs Wicked Tuna among a whole host of other garbage?

It cannot get much worse, I stopped watching them around the same time I stopped learning from the Learning Channel and the History Channel stopped broadcasting actual history.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 07:33 AM
link   
National Geographic top stories tonight!

- A new tree frog is discovered in Bolivia. How poisonous is it to your kids?
- The Battle of Kadesh - inspiration for modern Egyptian extremism?
- The world's most deadly volcano - does it want your guns?
- Beautiful photos from Libya. But was the photographer lying about Benghazi?
- Excavation of the Queen's Temple: Inside Miley Cyrus' House

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I stopped watching them all together when Discovery channel started sending car and motorbike shows.. what a disaster for a great channel.

And now National Geographic is being sold to Murdoch... W T F ?

edit on 10/9/2015 by kloejen because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 07:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ridhya
- The world's most deadly volcano - does it want your guns?

Molon labe, volcano. Molon labe.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Not that National Geographic was perfect but it was such a gateway for the young and the layman into science. This is truly sad.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 07:48 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
Time to make a flag with a Spartan in a volcano with the caption, Molten Lave!

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 07:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kapusta

My gut feeling is that we are going to see a serious change in NG . Sad really....

This news saddens me. I know NG could use the funds, but at what price?

My impression is Fox is anti-science and like feel this will hurt their content as Fox cares more about ratings than good science and genuine stories. Hopefully I am wrong and NG will still have good content, however my gut feeling is this move will force NG to comply with Fox's agenda, whatever that may be.

I do know a friend of a friend who works for NG and will be asking him his take on this in the near future.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Cool. In the future we will watch documentaries only on successful alpha-males ...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join